Price no difference to previous supplier — Bulb Community

Price no difference to previous supplier

I have just joined Bulb and submitted all the meter readings as requested and now I have received a message saying that the price is going up to the same price I left my previous supplier for. I know that Winter is coming and I probably switched at the wrong time, but to hear that the switch has made no difference from my electricity and gas suppliers has left me wondering why I switched in the first place. Hmmmm.

Comments

• claira_42 said:

I have just joined Bulb and submitted all the meter readings as requested and now I have received a message saying that the price is going up to the same price I left my previous supplier for. I know that Winter is coming and I probably switched at the wrong time, but to hear that the switch has made no difference from my electricity and gas suppliers has left me wondering why I switched in the first place. Hmmmm.

Hmmmm interesting thoughts.

Before you switched to Bulb did you get a quote based on your previous energy use (in kWh) rather than the type and size of your property?

If you recently obtained a quote using one of the recognised comparison sites they should have used the unit rates which for brand new customers was announce by Bulb on about 10 September, there has been no price increase since that date.

When you say price are you referring to the monthly DD you were paying or the unit rate price (i.e. price per kWh). For a true comparison with your previous supplier you have to use the unit rate.

Purely as another customer I would suggest your DD be set at the figure which you had when requesting a quote. Bearing in mind you have to pay Bulb one month in advance for your energy, if the DD is found not to be enough you can always increase it next month or do a one off top up.

• I joined bulb because of how much I would save on a yearly basis. Over £100, as quoted from USwitch. I worked it out as paying about £20 less in Winter and £50 less in Summer. If it keeps like this then I am paying the same I did with Eon for Electric and British Gas for Gas. Not worth the switch. I have not increased my usage, I even have smart technology controlling my heating and lights now, hence the switch to a smarter service. I know it's early days but, if this is the norm then I haven't gained anything, not even the saving of £100.
  • On a level playing field you would have gained but the industry has been hammered by increased fuel costs this year so all companies are/will be raising prices. Once all have increased their prices you are likely to find you are with the cheaper option.
    You could switch back only to find an increase still to come with a another supplier.
  • Time will tell. I was with Eon for over twenty years and British Gas for nearly thirty.
  • claira_42 said:

Time will tell. I was with Eon for over twenty years and British Gas for nearly thirty.

I was with my two previous suppliers 45 years until I switched to Bulb about 5 months ago. I have just carried out a uSwitch comparison inserting the same amount of energy I used during the last 12 months and the best deal I found was a saving of only £11 per year, which isn't worth the effort of switching. When I switched to Bulb my estimated saving was £344 per year, well worth the switch.

For any comparison to be valid ideally you should insert the energy (in kWh) you used over the last 12 months. Unless there are going to be changes to your future energy use, then the last 12 months figures will serve as reasonable estimate for the next 12 months.
  • I was with Eon a number of years ago, I joined a collective ' iChoosr' and under that I got a much cheaper deal with Eon for that year.
    I am still with iChoosr and over the years they have given me a number of offers from various companies, of-course I always give the same yearly usage to all.
    The latest offer to me was again Eon, but this time it was around £44 a year more than bulb. I checked direct with Eon also, but all their offers were much higher.
    I too was with Eon for many, many years before starting all the change around.
  • I have just checked those 2 against my usage and both would cost me more so although you may well be paying the same you would probably pay more with either of the above two if you switched back, and if prices do drop Bulb are usually one of the first to do so.
    I have been with them just over a year.
  • I guess its all down to if you have a fixed or variable tariff.