Smart Meter Fiasco — Bulb Community

Smart Meter Fiasco

I still have a smart meter installed by Scottish Power & although it can't be read by Bulb it's still handy to have all of our gas & electricity consumption information on hand via the remote display. It's also a lot more convenient to make a note of monthly readings for bulb instead of having to go outside in the cold.
There really is no excuse for the situation we're in regarding the inability of smart meters installed by the various suppliers to be read by
any other supplier just by the simple expedient of changing the SIM card.
Smart meters have been in the process of being installed for around 10 years now with the backing of the government & the cost will almost certainly have been reflected in energy prices during that time.
As a retired systems engineer, I can't believe that we're in a position where there has been no attempt at harmonisation regarding system firmware/software installed in the instrumentation & data acquisition systems across the industry.
Surely I'm not alone in realising how unacceptable this situation is & why the issue hasn't been raised at government level.

Comments

• I totally agree. This is not openly publicised by switching websites & makes a mockery of the Smart Meter roll-out!
  • Warthog said:

I totally agree. This is not openly publicised by switching websites & makes a mockery of the Smart Meter roll-out!

Information regarding smart meter roll-out is shown on the Bulb Help Page at: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us
  • Does SMET2 count as an "attempt at harmonisation ... across the industry"?
  • "Does SMET2 count as an "attempt at harmonisation ... across the industry"?"
    Yes I suppose it does but only after years of wasted time which was the whole point of my post.
  • "Does SMET2 count as an "attempt at harmonisation ... across the industry"?"
    Yes I suppose it does but only after years of wasted time which was the whole point of my post.

You have to blame the government for not thinking in advance to make SMET1 compatible for use by all suppliers.
  • edited November 17

I still have a smart meter installed by Scottish Power & although it can't be read by Bulb

If you have an Elster AS300P fitted by Scottish Power then it CAN be read by Bulb. Mine is now back in smart mode, including the gas readings as well.
  • If you have an Elster AS300P fitted by Scottish Power then it CAN be read by Bulb. Mine is now back in smart mode, including the gas readings as well.

I've just checked & our meter is indeed an Elster AS300P, thanks for that.