Usage comparison — Bulb Community

Usage comparison

A comparison graph of my usage with others in similar houses and households would be useful.
To see how your usage compares with the national average could help in reducing consumption overall if you see that your usage exceeds the norm.
It was a facility available with Ovo.

Comments

• I understand as I was previously with OVO, however I gave up looking at it as the variances of weather conditions throughout the uk, plus I have a 7 room house but only heat 3 of the rooms, so the graph never made sense.
    could help in reducing consumption

I take the view of cutting back usage as long as you are still comfortable.
  • @Banjaxed

This is a great idea. Especially as we want to encourage members to be saving on their energy bills.

We're currently re-designing the usage graph. I'll send this idea over to the team to have a think about.

What do you think about showing the historical usage of your meter rather than the national average? This way, if you are already under the national average, you still are incentivised to reduce your usage.

Interestingly, we ran a similar test no long ago. Bulb labs designed an app to monitor their on and off-peak usage and found that on average members saved £40 a year on electricity bills.

• showing the historical usage of your meter rather than the national average

For me it is my usage that I am interested in as there are too many variables involved in averages.
    I do my own spreadsheet and have to admit it creates a competitiveness within myself to beat last years usage for the same month, I find (sad though it may be) that if eg I used 200 kWh of elec last Nov and 220 kWh this Nov I then try and work out why.
  • edited December 2018

What do you think about showing the historical usage of your meter rather than the national average? This way, if you are already under the national average, you still are incentivised to reduce your usage.

@Eleanor at Bulb Is it possible to obtain the historic meter readings from the third-party regulator? I've lived in the same property for 12 years but unfortunately have only recently started keeping my own log of my readings since the new meters were installed.

I do have the old meter serial numbers if it helps!
  • scudo said:

showing the historical usage of your meter rather than the national average

For me it is my usage that I am interested in as there are too many variables involved in averages.
    Likewise. On each monthly bill Scottish Power would show me where I was in comparison to a low, medium, and high users with various example of what the qualitative metrics meant. I was always well below the "low" example, even though I don't consider myself to be a particularly low user what with living in an old house with poor insulation and old double glazing. The comparison never really made any sense.
    scudo said:

I do my own spreadsheet and have to admit it creates a competitiveness within myself to beat last years usage for the same month, I find (sad though it may be) that if eg I used 200 kWh of elec last Nov and 220 kWh this Nov I then try and work out why.
    I wish I had been doing this. With Scottish Power I could see my most recent 12 months overlaid with the previous 12 months, so you could see where you were compared with last year. I never made my own log of readings so now I have only a few months logged.
  • @Eleanor at Bulb Why limit the user experience and have both graphs.
  • edited December 2018
    @Hooloovoo I'm not aware that we can share this data but I'm investigating this for you. Remind me if I don't come back soon enough!

[EDITED] I've asked our regulation team who have said that under the licence (SLC22) your energy supplier is obliged to provide members with their own historical consumption data for the last 12 months or for as long as they have been a customer. If we have the data going back more than 12 months for them we can provide this data.

So, I'd recommend getting in touch with your previous supplier who should be able to provide this data if you ask for it. I'm afraid we don't have the historical meter readings from before you switched.

@JustSsavvy we want to make our product simple. But if having both would be useful for the majority of members, then we could explore this.
  • I agree with @JustSsavvy that more data is useful. Having a line on top of the graph to show last years usage would be very useful! (i have been with Bulb for over a year now so you have all my data)
  • I’m also very surprised that you don’t show my usage from last year. I thought it was because I hadn’t been with you for long enough but I have now been with you for over a year and it’s still not showing on my chart. I lived in Australia 14 years ago and my last 12 months usage was automatically shown every month which was extremely useful. Please do include this information asap.
  • @Banjaxed

This is a great idea. Especially as we want to encourage members to be saving on their energy bills.

We're currently re-designing the usage graph. I'll send this idea over to the team to have a think about.

Interestingly, we ran a similar test no long ago. Bulb labs designed an app to monitor their on and off-peak usage and found that on average members saved £40 a year on electricity bills.

• When I joined Bulb I assumed that a comparison graph of my own usage would be available, so I suggested adding a national average graph as well. This appears not to be the case, so perhaps priority should be given to an own usage historical graph, which I found with my previous supplier to be very useful and a good indication of the ups and downs of consumption.
  • edited January 1
    Banjaxed said:

When I joined Bulb I assumed that a comparison graph of my own usage would be available

New suppliers don't have access to your detailed previous usage (e.g., monthly or more frequent meter readings). They have only the previous annual usage total. So it's impossible for any new supplier to show a comparison graph of actual usage at the point that you join.

Given all granular data are lost when switching suppliers, the only way to guarantee a comprehensive log of your own usage is to log it yourself manually whenever you submit meter readings. Several people on the forum have said they do this, and now I've also started as well. I wish I had started keeping my own logs earlier, since I now only have the granular data for 2018. Luckily I've managed to reconstruct some historic usage from some old bills I had filed away and forgotten about, so I at least now have one or two readings per year dating back to 2007. Better than nothing, and certainly nothing any energy supplier could provide me with.
  • I like the MY USAGE graphs, but to be a bit perdantic, they aren't strictly USAGE graphs, are they. They are COST graphs, and since the unit cost changes, they don't replicate actual usage, do they? I think they would be better if they were actual usage in kWhr.