How much has your energy consumption gone up in colder weather. — Bulb Community

How much has your energy consumption gone up in colder weather.

HI all,
My bill has gone from from £ 41 pounds a month to £ 101 this month. Our heat has been on in the colder weather but it's only on a few hours, usually less, and somedays not turned on at all. I gave the meter readings so I was charged on actual usage. Can a bit of heating really increase energy usage that much? Seems crazy.

Comments

• edited December 6
    Heating is very very expensive. Particularly so if you have electric heating, such as storage heaters, rather than an efficient gas boiler.

Typically over the summer both my electric and gas can be no more than £1 per day. Right now, with the heating running, I'm easily over £3 per day. So yes, heating is expensive.
  • edited December 6
    @ashleyharrismoore

There was a unit cost price increase on 11 November which could explain for part of the increase?.

Rather than quote costs, the best guide is for you to check the energy you used on your latest statement against that for the month before, for this to be valid each statement should only show customer read meter reading rather than estimated meter readings.,

• Thinking about consumption based on total used used, int he winter my gas bill increases upto 4.5 times between November -March compared the other months of the year. I find that your bill for these colder months to only have increased about 2.5 times doesn't seem odd or surprising assuming your comparing consumption and not the price you paid a few months ago, as the @Allanr has said that prices have increase on 11th November 2018.

Have you reviewed your energy consumption from previous years for the same period?

For example my gas consumption has increased a little compared by last year gas consumption, due to a new central heating system installed with larger radiators and swapping electric cooker for a gas cooker,
  • Yes my gas has shot up, despite using less gas, I suppose the rises this year have taken their toll. :/

• scudo said:

Yes my gas has shot up, despite using less gas, I suppose the rises this year have taken their toll. :/

Very comprehensive.

I suppose the main question, is Bulb cheaper and value for money compared to other energy suppliers in respect to your circumstances?
  • I suppose the main question, is Bulb cheaper and value for money compared to other energy suppliers in respect to your circumstances?

For the moment yes, I don't feel the need to change.
    The figures (and other info) in the above charts go back to 2015 so if I change supplier I have my own historical information.

• scudo said:

I suppose the main question, is Bulb cheaper and value for money compared to other energy suppliers in respect to your circumstances?

For the moment yes, I don't feel the need to change.
    The figures (and other info) in the above charts go back to 2015 so if I change supplier I have my own historical information.

I just decided to compare by graphical presentation and reviewed as follows;

But I will admit that there is a few options that could be cheaper for me,

(1) duel fuel switch to "our Power"
    (2) switch to different energy suppliers for each individual fuel.
  • scudo said:

My recording of gas usage goes back to 2015 and my electricity to 2013, one slight problem I have is that until I switched to Bulb they are quarterly rather my monthly based, since my previous suppliers issued their bills every quarter. Obviously since I switched to Bulb , they are monthly based.

At least I am able to work out my annual usage for the above years to present time should I need to do a price comparison..

• My recording of gas usage goes back to 2015 and my electricity to 2013, one slight problem I have is that until I switched to Bulb they are quarterly rather my monthly based, since my previous suppliers issued their bills every quarter. Obviously since I switched to Bulb , they are monthly based.

I also have S Power back to 2012 - 2014 with quarterly bills, it was only when I changed to OVO then Bulb that I started monthly. If I ever go back to a quarterly bill I will still record monthly.
    I remember at the time the hassle of changing the spreadsheet to accommodate the monthly readings.

I found this old SP one (£s), what is interesting is we had just moved in to the house and you can see how I eventually got the heating under control as it drops significantly over the next 3 years, this made me more aware and at that point switched to OVO then Bulb.

SP.JPG 35.2K