We’re proud to be a Warm Home Discount supplier — Bulb Community

We’re proud to be a Warm Home Discount supplier

edited January 16 in About Bulb
We opened our applications for the Warm Home Discount in October. You can apply through the online form in your Bulb Account.

If you’re eligible for the warm home discount, we’ll add £140 to your Bulb account to help pay for your energy over the winter.

Who is eligible for the Warm Home Discount?

There are two groups that are eligible for the Warm Home Discount:

The Core Group:
  • For members who get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit.
Members who are in the Core group are automatically eligible for the Warm Home Discount. If you think you are in this group but have not received a letter from the Government to let you know, you can contact the Department for Work and Pensions Core Group Helpline: 0800 731 0214, Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm

The Broader Group:
  • For members who are on a low income, get certain means-tested benefits and meet our criteria for the scheme.
We currently use the recommended criteria provided by Ofgem, the energy regulator. Please note that not all suppliers follow the same criteria for the Broader Group. If you received the discount from your previous supplier you are not guaranteed to receive the Warm Home Discount from Bulb.

This is the first year we’ve provided the Warm Home Discount so we’re learning from the process. We may be able to expand our criteria for the Broader group in the future and offer it to more members.

You can find out more about the eligibility criteria in our help centre. And we’ve written a new blog post explaining what information we’ll need from when you apply.

Still got questions about the Warm Home Discount or how to apply for it? Post below and I’ll help you out.

Comments

• Hi Tim, I made my application for the WHD last month. Can you tell me how soon we will know whether we were successful and when it will be applied to the bill.
    Thanks
  • edited December 2018
    H @Lesley_C1971

We're just finishing off our latest batch of applications. We aim to let you know the status of your application by the end of December. If your application is successful, we'll also credit the £140 to your Bulb account at this time.

Let us know if you have any further questions :)
  • Your proud to supply the Warm home Discount at the bear minimum required by the regularity, and you are certainly not proud of doing more by expanding the criteria of the scheme.
  • I applied for WHD and need to add information to my application (verify I am in receipt of UC) how can I do this?
  • How does it work for prepayment customers? Payment via TransferWise?
  • roon17 said:

I applied for WHD and need to add information to my application (verify I am in receipt of UC) how can I do this?

I would suggest you contact the Bulb team direct as this is a public community forum and not the best place to discuss anything personal.
  • Your proud to supply the Warm home Discount at the bear minimum required by the regularity, and you are certainly not proud of doing more by expanding the criteria of the scheme.

@JustSsavvy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the Warm Home Discount on Community.

The criteria we're currently using is recommended by Ofgem. But, as you say, we're not limited to this quota.

We understand that it's a very important benefit but we're just not able to give it to everyone who needs it.

It's the very first time we've offered the WHD. We'll learn from this year's applications and hopefully be able to expand our quota next year.

@norman7115 We don't send the WHD via Transferwise. Instead, we'll send you an 8 digit code so when you top up at a PayPoint, your electricity key will have £140 on it. If you don't have an electricity key, we can add it to your gas card.

We'll send you an email explaining exactly what to do and how it all works.

@roon17 if you'd like to email help@bulb.co.uk with the extra documents, we'll add them to your account. Please put 'WHD extra documents' in the title and attach the document to the body of the email. One of our team will email you cack to confirm that we've got it.
  • Hi if mu Mum joins today can she still get the Warm home discount? or does someone need to have been with you from July?
  • @JosefW Yep she can still get the warm home discount if she joins today, but it's best to check she'd be eligible first with us here https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001245512-Can-I-get-the-Warm-Home-Discount-

• If my understanding is right, when you join Bulb do you formally have to wait till your actual supply date before applying for WHD ?
  • Hi @UnitedInCare

Yes, you'll need to be a member before you can apply. Once you've signed up to Bulb, it takes 21 days for the switch to take place.

Once you're a member, you can apply for the Warm Home Discount on our website.

Or you can log in to your Bulb account to find the application form.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
  • I am in receipt of ESA and PIP but I do not work as I am physically disabled. I have sent both forms to Bulb but they have replied saying that my ESA letter is not the correct income related ESA form they require. I have wrote back to them explaining that I do not have any other forms and thought that this was what they needed.
    Can anyone tell me if I am entitled to the Warm Home Discount as I thought that all that was needed was my ESA document and Personal Independence Payment letter. Do I need to have a work income payment instead? I am totally confused over what criteria I need and what I need to meet.
    Can anyone help as I do not understand if I meet the criteria or not.
    Thanks. Lisa.
  • I have just checked the Government website and I am on Income work related ESA even though the letter from ESA does not say that. Is that the problem Bulb has? I still don't know if this is the support they need to know about either.
    Anyone know anything?
  • @claira_42 I've checked your application, and normally there's a 2nd page which breaks down the payments you receive. The support component and Income-related aspects of the employment and support allowance should be detailed there.

We've also sent you an email about this so you can message us there as this is regarding personal information.
  • edited January 3
    Hi Tim, I have sent you all 5 pages of the letter from ESA. You should have them as a scanned JPEG. I hope this is now what is required. I can send again if you need them. ********
  • Heya @claira_42

Just to let you know that I've edited your comment as it has your personal details. Not to worry, I've passed on the email address directly to Tim :)
  • Thanks Eleanor, I just didn't receive an email from Bulb or Tim to say if he received the full 5 scans.
  • @claira_42

Great. Thanks for letting us know :)
  • Hi Tim, could you please send me your email address as I have just received an email saying that you did not receive anything from me, but I don't know who to send an email to???? Could you head it as a seperate email so that I can email straight back without it getting caught up with help at Bulb email. Thanks.
  • Could someone please tell me if the emails are being received?
  • @claira_42 That's perfect thanks, we've got everything we need now and so you will be receiving the £140 credit.

• Thanks Tim. I wish I could work out why my computer will not upload certain jpegs or pdf.s