Smart meters — Bulb Community

Smart meters

I would like a smart meter so that I can see how much electric i’m using.

Comments

• Jujub53 said:

I would like a smart meter so that I can see how much electric i’m using.

Please check out the Help page, click the Help button at the top of this page.
  • I would be asking if the smart meter they were installing was SMETS 1 or 2, SMETS 1 could mean the meter goes dumb unless there is an upgrade for it to work as a smart meter with a new supplier. I have a SMETS 1 version and up and down a step ladder every month to read the thing is a pain in the A55. I have just read that it could be up to the end of March 2019 before SMETS 1 meters are upgraded to work with other suppliers, unless the date is put back again.
  • The smart meters Bulb are rolling out are SMETS2.
  • @Jujub53 @Terminator Smart meters will be coming in the early part of next year and will indeed be SMETS2 meters :)
  • Any update/news on the SMETS2 rollout plans?
  • I have just read that it could be up to the end of March 2019 before SMETS 1 meters are upgraded to work with other suppliers

I was told some weeks ago that SMETS1 meters installed by First:Utility would probably be readable by Bulb as they are, but nobody has yet AFAIK looked in to whether mine can actually be read by Bulb! They are Secure Liberty meters. I also have Solar panels and there was some uncertainly as to whether the FIT readings can go through Secure Liberty meters or not.
  • edited January 7
    arthur255 said:

I was told some weeks ago that SMETS1 meters installed by First:Utility would probably be readable by Bulb as they are, but nobody has yet AFAIK looked in to whether mine can actually be read by Bulb!

If you go to your account dashboard and request to join the smart time-of-use tariff, then you'll get priority in terms of seeing if your SMETS1 meter can be connected. Obviously you should consider whether the time-of-use tariff is suitable for your usage before doing this.
    arthur255 said:

They are Secure Liberty meters. I also have Solar panels and there was some uncertainly as to whether the FIT readings can go through Secure Liberty meters or not.

The feed-in tariff requires the reading from your total generation meter, which is unrelated to your smart meter.

The smart meter measures only what is exported or imported.
  • I have already done all that, and now have a reply from Bulb.
  • arthur255 said:

I have already done all that, and now have a reply from Bulb.

That's great. It would be useful if you could share the reply in order to help other people with the same question who may find this thread via a search.
  • Bulb confirmed that they will be in touch about whether they can read my existing meters, and about the FIT switch. I suspect there is a backlog on both matters.
  • Bulb advised recently that they canNOT read my Secure Liberty meters, even though listed as DCC-compliant. As we cannot read manually due to disability, I am about to switch back to previous supplier, but I am awaiting update from Bulb first.
  • The FIT switch is complete. We are NOT switching supply as I do not want to lose my place in the SMETS2 queue.
  • If disability prevents manual self reading I suggest you register for priority services https://bulb.co.uk/accessibility/ which should fast track SMETS2 meters and in the meantime you can ask for a meter reader to attend every 3 months.
  • Already registered several months ago. We have not taken up the offer of sending a meter reader yet, but my wife may choose to do so.