If wholesale prices have come down September /October — Bulb Community

If wholesale prices have come down September /October

If the wholesale prices have come down again how come we the customers have had a price increase on energy?

Comments

• Bulb buy energy at least 3 months in advance in order to smooth out price fluctuations, in a method similar to pound-cost-averaging when talking in terms of investments. Any price changes will therefore be delayed by at least 3 months if not longer.
  • Good question. Sit tight for a few days and we'll publish our latest wholesale market update which goes into a lot of detail about this.
  • Looking at Drax Elecrtric Insights, there doesn't look to be any decrease in wholesale prices...

http://electricinsights.co.uk/#/dashboard?period=1-year&start=2017-12-20&&_k=y34m5o
  • @mowcius We have seen prices come down. Costs are 9% lower than in September, although still 28% higher than this time last year.

• @Will at Bulb, any reasons for the sneaky graph?

Both y-axis scales go up in £50, but the right hand side doesn't match the lines and has an extra £50 on the scale.

I would have thought that your costs on top of the wholesale price are relatively fixed per member so there'd be no reason to not line them up.
  • @mowcius Exactly the same issue with the y-axis scales that you've pointed out before for a previous graph.
  • mowcius said:

@Will at Bulb, any reasons for the sneaky graph?

Both y-axis scales go up in £50, but the right hand side doesn't match the lines and has an extra £50 on the scale.

I would have thought that your costs on top of the wholesale price are relatively fixed per member so there'd be no reason to not line them up.

Agreed, transparency is one of the main reasons I stay with Bulb. Given the high standard of no-nonsense communication set by Bulb in the past, misleading charts such as this can begin to erode trust. Stick to the principles we've come to expect and explain why the fares have increased on top of wholesale prices. Trust that, given a reasonable explanation, your customers are able to comprehend the reasons behind price fluctuations.
  • yyt said:

@mowcius Exactly the same issue with the y-axis scales that you've pointed out before for a previous graph.

I was going to mention that it's at least the second time they've done this, but as they quickly corrected the last one, I thought they'd probably just do the same with this one.