"Failed" referrals — Bulb Community

"Failed" referrals

edited December 2018 in Help & Support
Firstly I should say how fantastic it was during this past week to have the referral reward boosted to £100. Thank you Bulb for that!

However, during the course of the week, it seemed that the systems were breaking down. At one point, during an online chat with the help team I was told that my referral count was up to 37, and then a day or so later, was told it was 26. When I queried this, I was told that the discrepancy was due to people either having cancelled after having signed up or else their application was rejected........I don't know why an application should be rejected except in those cases where a customer is incorrectly registered on the national database of meters as being a business customer or some such eventuality.

In one case, I had a friend sign up over the phone, but this referral somehow went missing and I wasn't credited with the reward even though she had quoted my referral code over the phone.......this is now being (slowly) corrected, but not until I've had to prove that I'd received an email telling me of the boosted reward!

I wonder if the registration system and the telephone help line were overwhelmed by the sheer number of applications?

Comments

• I am not saying this is the case but if one is owing their `old` supplier then they may have to clear this before a credit rating will be passed for the new supplier.

• In one case, I had a friend sign up over the phone, but this referral somehow went missing and I wasn't credited with the reward even though she had quoted my referral code over the phone.......this is now being (slowly) corrected, but not until I've had to prove that I'd received an email telling me of the boosted reward!

I wonder if the registration system and the telephone help line were overwhelmed by the sheer number of applications?

Hope you don't mind me asking but why did your friend need to join up over the telephone?
  • scudo said:

I am not saying this is the case but if one is owing their `old` supplier then they may have to clear this before a credit rating will be passed for the new supplier.

Yes, that could be the case.....certainly there are a few 'technical' reasons why an application to join Bulb might be rejected, and it could be that this offer of £100 was relatively attractive to those with relatively less 'cash flow' and so might have attracted a higher number than average of those in debt.......

However, with regard to this particular issue, I thought I had read somewhere that Bulb didn't perform 'credit checks' as such........but maybe being in debt to an existing supplier is flagged up without going through a process of 'credit checking' in the normal sense?

• Allanr said:

Hope you don't mind me asking but why did your friend need to join up over the telephone?

Fair question........she told me she wasn't comfortable signing up online.......maybe a technophobe in general, or concerned with security issues, giving bank details online.......regarding the latter, I was in touch with one young lady who was on the point of signing up, told me she needed to get her bank details, and then I never heard from her again (obviously an online contact, not a 'friend' as such).......I suspect there are many people who hear about this offer of £100 reward and decide it must be a scam, as it seems too good to be true.....shame, really......the £50 reward isn't high enough to attract that many people, and the £100 rewards makes them even more suspicious!!!

• Louise1233...

3.19. If you're a domestic customer, we may do checks with a credit reporting agency to ensure you are able to pay your energy bills. We will always ask your permission before doing this. If you're a business customer, we will always do checks with a credit reporting agency to ensure you are able to pay your energy bills.
    3.19.1. Based on this score, we may ask you to pay a security deposit before we start working to bring your energy supply across. In that case, this Agreement won't start until we have received the security deposit in full.
    3.19.2. We may refuse to supply your energy until the security deposit is paid, or;
  • i have just clarified one particular case where a referral was, in part, "rejected" by the original supplier. Fortunately the person concerned let me know what had happened and I have been able to clarify exactly what happened.

It turns out that my friend is on prepay meters and the electricity meter was in debit by £6.25......it was for this reason that the supplier, British Gas, rejected the switch (the gas supply did apparently get switched over). Unfortunately, when Bulb inform the person that the switch has been rejected, they are not allowed by data protection laws to tell the person why the switch was rejected.......they can only recommend the person contact their supplier.

Once the person has done so, they will discover why the switch was rejected and can then ask Bulb to enter into a DAP agreement with the supplier to transfer the debt (£6.25!!!!) from that supplier to Bulb (which will then apparently take around 8 days to go through).

Unfortunately, I suspect many people will not be aware of any of this, and will just take it that it was all a scam in the first place and won't take any further action to enable the switch to finally go through.

I'm not sure if there is anything that Bulb could do differently.......I guess the data protection laws are sacrosanct, and so nothing can be done to let people know in more detail why their switch didn't go through........but at least I now have a clearer idea of one reason why this has sometimes happened (quite a few times, actually.......very frustrating!!!)
  • I guess the data protection laws are sacrosanct, and so nothing can be done to let people know in more detail why their switch didn't go through

I believe so, in other companies it is a sackable offense to divulge the information,plus the company can get in to serious bother as well.
    In some companies the `other half` will phone up and be denied info unless they speak to their partner first for permission.
    The credit checks will be automated and even customers who maybe be worth thousands can fail a credit check for a couple of £s