User interface — Bulb Community

User interface

Start by saying of course I love bulb. Does anyone else feel the the user experience of the bulb app could be improved? Just feels already outdated and no information on usage history, tracking and budgeting. So much more that could be done to make more interactive and useful. Also a way to make one of payments as and when to keep my regular payments low

Comments

• Hi @Snoop1asr ,

To be honest, the only time I really use the app is to provide the meter readings (although as I take a photograph of my meters every reading - I've been 'burnt' by a previous supplier so I started making it a habit of just taking photos - it can be tricky to switch between the app and my camera roll): I just tend to use the website on my laptop or desktop.

I believe Bulb's site (including the account management section) is fully mobile compatible so you may be able to 'Add to home screen'/'Pin' it to your mobile and use that instead of the app.

How often would you like to check things like usage history/tracking etc from the mobile app? I know other customers have voiced similar concerns to you, but I also know Bulb has a long list of things to work on and it'll be useful if a 'priority/importance' list can be made of what people would like and how often that feature is likely to be used. For me, OCRing a photo to read off the meter readings straight into the app would be useful - but once smart meters really start rolling out next year, it'll make that mostly redundant and hence probably not worth the development/support time.
  • Thanks for your comments @Snoop1asr

It's great to hear that you're a fan of Bulb.

We agree. The app could do with a spruce up. We'll be continuing on making improvements throughout 2019.

Although the usage graph is not currently available on the app, the web version of the Bulb account shows a usage graph which is updated monthly.

We're designing a new usage section that will have more detailed information for our members. This will be based on data provided by smart meters. If you currently have a smart meter and would like to sign up to our smart tariff, then you'll be one of our first customers to test it out when it's ready.

@RichyB the Bulb app already has a function to photograph your meter to automatically update the meter reading. Is this what you meant?
  • Hi @Eleanor at Bulb ,

It doesn't seem to have ' a function to photograph your meter to automatically update the meter reading' for me on Android - neither a 'show from camera roll' option nor a 'take snapshot/photo' option on the electricity reading screen (there is a 'torch' option though). It might only show up if the reading isn't what you expect (which might then prompt for a photo, but I would have already taken one myself). If there was a way of showing a taken photo on the meter entry screen, it'll be handy.

Ideally if it could 'Take photo (stored on your phone)' which is then OCRed and filled in with the suggested numbers - showing the numbers it thinks it read along with the photo for users to 'correct' if necessary - it'll be brilliant. I don't know if you've used Curve (if not, code ROBH6 will get us both £5 on your first transaction) , but I'm thinking the same way they scan your credit/debit card details and show the digits above each one in a photo for you to check.
  • RichyB said:

It doesn't seem to have ' a function to photograph your meter to automatically update the meter reading' for me on Android - neither a 'show from camera roll' option nor a 'take snapshot/photo' option on the electricity reading screen (there is a 'torch' option though). It might only show up if the reading isn't what you expect (which might then prompt for a photo, but I would have already taken one myself). If there was a way of showing a taken photo on the meter entry screen, it'll be handy.

I don't really understand why supplying a photo is much help. If I was trying to scam a supplier with a false meter reading, it would be easy enough to also alter the photo before submitting. Perhaps the issue is more related to simply people reading their meter incorrectly and I'm just assuming the worst :)