New Standing Charges — Bulb Community

New Standing Charges

Received an e-mail today stating that the new Standing Charge is going to be 20.44 ppd from 23.39 ppd, and that would reduce my current Annual Charge by £15.00 on both Gas and Electric so they are going to do away with the Dual Fuel Rebate of £30.00 per Annum.
Having done the maths my reduction is only £10.76 per fuel, anyone else have figures to support this?

Comments

• edited December 2018
    Hi @KAZneb11 ,

The Duel Fuel discount is £14.29+vat (£15.0045) per fuel per year - that's £1.21 per month (based on 31 days).

The standing charge for my electricity used to be 23.39p/day+vat (£24.5595 - Bulb's '24.56p per day') - so £7.25 per month (based on 31 days) - the new rate is 19.47p/day +vat (making the advertised 20.44p per day) : a difference of 3.92p per day * 31 = £1.2152 per month: so actually it's slightly cheaper with the new standing charges.

I suspect the confusion you encountered was which prices included VAT and which didn't.

[edit: it'll be helpful if in future Bulb made it clear which prices they quoted included VAT and which didn't - a quick update to the appropriate blog post announcing this at https://bulb.co.uk/blog/simpler-statements-and-lower-standing-charges to state - 'Above prices include VAT at 5% - prices excluding VAT were 23.39p day/£85.37 per year and will be 19.47p day/£71.07 per year from December 21, 2018'.
  • Hi guys, thanks for the heads up, yes the rates you see include VAT so it looks like the standing charge is higher. If you go to the tariff information screen in your online account it says they include VAT but we should include this on the emails too. As a general rule we include VAT wherever possible to simplify things.
  • James G at Bulb,........ This has been brought up several times over the last year and always going to be looked at, but nothing ever changes.

• So does that mean we lose the duel fuel discount for the current year?
  • Xenor - No, because you've already benefitted from the dual fuel discount as it's split into 12 equal payments so that you're already up to date.
  • @Xenor The way I read the Blog/notification is that if you're getting both Gas & Electricity then there is no change in you're Standing Charge, only there is no such thing as a Dual Fuel Discount any more. The only change is for people like myself who only get Electricity (or Gas), who now get their Standing Charge £15 a year cheaper.

Thanks Bulb! That's appreciated.

I also appreciate the pricing being with VAT included in notifications and Blogs. I do get confused when looking at the Bill in the first instance, though I can live with that, and comprehend why it is that way.

Thanks again!
  • Xenor said:

So does that mean we lose the duel fuel discount for the current year?

No, you wont lose any duel fuel discount, it is given notionally on a daily basis.

If you check out for example your last statement you will see the fuel discount for that statement is calculated on a daily basis.
  • anth0ny said:

The way I read the Blog/notification is that if you're getting both Gas & Electricity then there is no change in you're Standing Charge, only there is no such thing as a Dual Fuel Discount any more.

Afraid to say that is incorrect information for customers with duel fuel. The removal of the fuel discount is exactly compensated by a reduction in the standing charge. Duel fuel customers don't gain or lose by removal of the fuel discount.
  • Thanks for the clarity @Allanr. I was only wanting to reassure Xenor that they wouldn't be paying more as a consequence of the price change.

I only use electricity @ home.

All the best!
  • I received the same email, saying my yearly cost will be £15 cheaper. I don't believe I have ever had a surplier lower any cost, only increase. Well done bulb. ;-)
  • Despite the increases of last year, Bulb have had more decreases than increases since they began in 2015.