Mixergy Hot Water tank — Bulb Community

Mixergy Hot Water tank

I’ve heard a lot about this new company recently, wondering if anyone has seen it, would it work well with bulb?

The idea is it changes the way it heats water so only heats what it needs therefore saving money and being more efficient .

Link below

https://mixergy.co.uk

Comments

• so only heats what it needs

Which is what my combi boiler does, I suspect any savings would take years for me to recover.
    Maybe it does have some merit but I am not qualified enough to be sure.
  • topdrog said:

would it work well with bulb?

Can't comment on the product, but to the specific point above - surely it is supplier agnostic and makes no difference.
  • It's electric, so any energy it does consume will cost about three times as much as a gas fired boiler / tank set up. their own website says a typical 120 litre tank loses 1.04 kWh per 24 hours, and mixergy recon you can reduce this by 55%, saving you 0.57 kWh per day in otherwise lost heat, or about 5 pence worth of electricity. It just doesn't make economic sense to switch, and certainly not to switch from gas heated water. On the other hand, if you have to replace an existing electric cylinder and have solar PV it may be justified, though devices are already available to "dump" surplus electricity from your panels into existing tanks. For my money it's nothing more than a bit of greenwashed marketing.
  • it's nothing more than a bit of greenwashed marketing.

I read some more on another forum and the bottom line appears to be you would probably save a little but not much, a cheaper option being have another immersion element installed at the top of your existing tank, it may not be as `smart` but at least it wouldn't be heating water when you are not there.
  • Ed1178 said:

On the other hand, if you have to replace an existing electric cylinder and have solar PV it may be justified, though devices are already available to "dump" surplus electricity from your panels into existing tanks. For my money it's nothing more than a bit of greenwashed marketing.

You'd be much better off installing a wet panel - far more efficient in heating up the water than PV and an immersion heater.
  • Assuming you're all-electric, and heat your water during the night, you won't see any significant gains by using that tech.

Why? because heat lost from the tank isn't necessarily lost from the house - it heats the room it's in, and diffuses through the rest of the property. Unless it's summer, you probably don't actually waste that energy. Secondly, hot water is a very tiny dent in your electricity bill compared to heating the entire house (£20 vs £140).

tl;dr: it would take much more than the lifetime of the tank to get your money back
  • scudo said:

it's nothing more than a bit of greenwashed marketing.

I read some more on another forum and the bottom line appears to be you would probably save a little but not much, a cheaper option being have another immersion element installed at the top of your existing tank, it may not be as `smart` but at least it wouldn't be heating water when you are not there.
    Their own website gives the savings- albeit in a convoluted way and with no actual monetary value- it says savings of around half the heat usually "lost" from a cylinder can be saved. It goes on to say the typical heat loss over 24 hours is somewhere between 1 and 2 kWh depending on tank size. So a smaller tank, loosing 1 kw / 24 hours can expect to save about half a unit, so 5 or 6 pence a day. Practically nothing in other words.

It doesn't matter if you "heat water when you're not there" - that's rateher the point of cylinders. The heat loss is so minimal, you heat when you anticipate demand and / or when power is cheap. A large tank will retain heat for days. Thank goodness the days of "sticking the immersion on" for an hour before we could have a bath are over!
    mowcius said:

Ed1178 said:

On the other hand, if you have to replace an existing electric cylinder and have solar PV it may be justified, though devices are already available to "dump" surplus electricity from your panels into existing tanks. For my money it's nothing more than a bit of greenwashed marketing.

You'd be much better off installing a wet panel - far more efficient in heating up the water than PV and an immersion heater.
    I agree completely- but my point was about those who have existing solar PV. They have more to gain by using their own generated power as completely as possible and a smart solar controller will help achieve this with minimal investment.

• mowcius said:

I agree completely- but my point was about those who have existing solar PV. They have more to gain by using their own generated power as completely as possible and a smart solar controller will help achieve this with minimal investment.

As the FiT is soon to be replaced by a competitive smart generation feed-in tariff, it may currently be a worthwhile investment installing an electric immersion (if you have a cylinder already) and smart controller, but may not be soon.