Even-out some regional differences in our tariff — Bulb Community

Even-out some regional differences in our tariff

edited December 2018 in About Bulb
For the Bulb Team

Blog https://bulb.co.uk/blog/simpler-statements-and-lower-standing-charges mentions

We’re also taking this opportunity to even-out some regional differences in our tariff. We will be lowering our gas unit rates by 0.2%-5% in the energy distribution regions of Manchester & North Wales, South Wales, West Midlands, Northwest England, Southern Scotland and Yorkshire.

Does this mean any customer whose property is in South Wales is entitled to a reduction in gas tariff and should have received an email to this effect?

Comments

• I have had the e-mail regarding changes to the standing charge but it does not mention any reduction to the gas charge. I live in the West Midlands so according to the blog above my rate should be reduced. Can you advise?
  • @1Sandra2

Although I'm in South Wales, I received the same email message as you. The Bulb team should be able to resolve when they are back in the office on Wednesday?
  • I've bumped this query towards the top as it may affect many customers who live in South Wales and West Midlands. Basically is the Blog incorrect where it says "We will be lowering our gas unit rates in the energy distribution regions of South Wales & West Midlands (including other districts)"?
  • I'm in South Wales too. I didn't get any specific email about my gas price possibly being reduced. It'll be nice tho.
  • I've had a message from a West Midlands customer who has received an email about a price reduction which isn't the experience of 1Sandra2 above who also lives in the West Midlands region. A little bit odd.
  • I wouldn't normally do this but I'm again bumping this query towards the top as it may affect many customers who live in South Wales and West Midlands. Basically is the Blog incorrect where it says "We will be lowering our gas unit rates in the energy distribution regions of South Wales & West Midlands (including other districts)"?

What is the current situation?
  • Allanr said:

I wouldn't normally do this but I'm again bumping this query towards the top as it may affect many customers who live in South Wales and West Midlands. Basically is the Blog incorrect where it says "We will be lowering our gas unit rates in the energy distribution regions of South Wales & West Midlands (including other districts)"?

What is the current situation?

What does it say if you look up your tariff information?

Is it different now from what you expect?
  • Hooloovoo said:

What does it say if you look up your tariff information?

Is it different now from what you expect?

Already done that, my tariff regarding gas unit price hasn't changed since 11 November which is when Bulb increased their prices. In theory I would have expected my gas unit price to have decreased by somewhere between 0.2%-5% if the information in the blog is correct. As mentioned earlier the email which I received announcing removal of the duel fuel allowance made no mention if any gas unit price decrease.
  • Allanr said:

Already done that, my tariff regarding gas unit price hasn't changed since 11 November which is when Bulb increased their prices. In theory I would have expected my gas unit price to have decreased by somewhere between 0.2%-5% if the information in the blog is correct. As mentioned earlier the email which I received announcing removal of the duel fuel allowance made no mention if any gas unit price decrease.

Hmm. Actually, having tried my own suggestion I see that the "Our Tariff" page still has out of date information for my post code as well. The gas rate listed is the 11 November rate, and is different from the "Gas Unit Rate" shown under "My account and tariff info". Both include VAT.

So, my account shows the newly discounted rate but the tariff lookup does not. Awesome.
  • @Hooloovoo

The gas unit price in ""My account and tariff info" is the same as in the "Our Tariff".

• Allanr said:

The gas unit price in ""My account and tariff info" is the same as in the "Our Tariff".

How odd. Well, keep plugging away!
  • I'm in the West Midlands.
    Email of 24 Dec announced a decrease for gas of 5·4 per cent, and removal of dual fuel discount.
    Reminder email yesterday with same information.
    "Our Tariff" and "My account and tariff info" both show the changes.
  • 1Sandra2 in the response on December 31, 2018 3:55PM above said: "I have had the e-mail regarding changes to the standing charge but it does not mention any reduction to the gas charge. I live in the West Midlands so according to the blog above my rate should be reduced."
  • I just hate doing this but I have bumped my query up the list again since it looks as if the blog at https://bulb.co.uk/blog/simpler-statements-and-lower-standing-charges is either incorrect or customers in some of the affected areas have not been included in the unit price reduction.
  • Hi @1Sandra2 ,

Here's what I personally think (as just a fellow customer):

You've said you are in the West Midlands - and whilst you might be geographically and TV wise, you might not be electricity-grid supply wise. If you look at your electricity bill, you should see your 'MPAN' number aka 'S number' which will look similar to:
    Example of the MPAN format

Your 'Distributor ID' in the bottom left hand corner (13 in this example) will indicate the DNO aka region you are in. West Midlands is ID 14 - if you've got anything else, you won't be classed as 'West Midlands': if its a 2x or 3x number, you are supplied by an 'Independent Distribution Network Operator' which has no specific geographic area which may be causing the problem.

The regions which are getting lower/'normalised' prices are:
    13 - Manchester & North Wales (looks like Manchester may be split between North Wales [13] and Northwest [16] so Bulb have just listed it here)
    21 - South Wales
    14 - West Midlands
    16 - Northwest England
    18 - Southern Scotland
    23 - Yorkshire

Could anyone from Bulb clarify this? Is so, in the future, could emails like this actually say something like 'region, region, region* - * region is based on your electrical distribution network operator, check your Bulb account for details' and have the 'Your info' page list the DNO/Region (as the 'who is my DNO?' question does come up a few times)
  • @RichyB

Useful information.

My Distributor ID is 21 which is South Wales so I'm affected in theory by a price reduction.
  • Hi @Allanr ,

Yep, especially since I've just checked https://bulb.co.uk/blog/simpler-statements-and-lower-standing-charges and it does state:
    We will be lowering our gas unit rates by 0.2%-5% in the energy distribution regions of Manchester & North Wales, South Wales, West Midlands, Northwest England, Southern Scotland and Yorkshire.

So it looks like my assumption was correct and it looks like you should have had a price reduction... Bulb staff, can you assist?
  • RichyB said:

Bulb staff, can you assist?

SPELLCASTING: @Eleanor at Bulb
  • /waits to be able to spell cast blub ta ronaele@ ;)

I have flagged the thread just in case (as it does look like we've all hit a break wall figuring this out), but I didn't want to tag any member of staff specifically in case they were out of office/on holiday etc (I wish we did have a generic '@staff' similar or if there were 'Flagging options' for scenarios like this).

Anyway, I'm wasting valuable life force here whilst we wait for Eleanor to faze across time with us once more.
  • RichyB said:

I wish we did have a generic '@staff' similar or if there were 'Flagging options' for scenarios like this).

@TeamBulb? No idea where that goes, if anywhere.
    RichyB said:

Anyway, I'm wasting valuable life force here whilst we wait for Eleanor to faze across time with us once more.

We're showing our age now :)
  • edited January 14
    Hello all.

I'm not ignoring this. Promise!

I suspect that you are right and we have made a mistake on our blog. I'm currently checking it through with @Will at Bulb and the team and I'll update you as soon as I have an answer.

Thank you for keeping us in check - as per.

[Update]

@RichyB @Hooloovoo @Allanr @198kHz @FromTheValleys

Thank you for your input. I can confirm that the blog was incorrect. :#

We're sorry for the confusion and to those of you in South Wales that thought we'd lowered your unit rate.

Members in the South West region, your unit rate has not changed.

We've updated the blog. It now says:

"We’re also taking this opportunity to even-out some regional differences in our tariff. We will be lowering our gas unit rates by 0.2%-5% in the energy distribution regions of Manchester & North Wales, West Midlands, Northwest England, Southern Scotland and Yorkshire. "

@1Sandra2 your energy distribution region is the East Midlands so your gas unit rate will not have dropped.

I hope that clears things up.

Thanks again all.
  • Also, I'm fully on board with the @TeamBulb idea. For now, please do tag me in stuff I need to be paying attention too. Flagging works also.
  • Hello all.

We're sorry for the confusion and to those of you in South Wales that thought we'd lowered your unit rate.

We've updated the blog. It now says:

"We’re also taking this opportunity to even-out some regional differences in our tariff. We will be lowering our gas unit rates by 0.2%-5% in the energy distribution regions of Manchester & North Wales, West Midlands, Northwest England, Southern Scotland and Yorkshire. "

I hope that clears things up.

Cleared up thanks. But :'(
  • Never mind Allan when there is a national reduction in wholesale prices I am sure they will include you. :)
  • What you haven't had, you won't miss, so the saying goes.
  • Allanr said:

What you haven't had, you won't miss, so the saying goes.

I got the full 5% reduction so nee nerr nee nerr =)
  • Is this a boasting thread now?

I got 2.5% but I'm in Yorkshire so basically I win.