Gateposts always seem to be moved ahead!! — Bulb Community

Gateposts always seem to be moved ahead!!

Dear Bulb...It may only effect my account by a few pounds each month...But it's ALWAYS IN YOUR FAVOUR...Please go by my CORRECT METER READINGS rather then your always a little out Estimates when calculating my bills!! You always record them WITH my bills but it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to how you overall calculate. This is becoming to get on my nerves. For example current Electric readings as below.

Meter readings
29 November 2018 45875 Estimate
30 November
45806 Customer Read
29 December 2018 46277 Estimate
Energy 402 kWh @ 12.94 p/kWh £ 52.01

But my current readings are just 46172 over 100 short of what you have estimated!! You have clearly taken what I 'Owe you' from your own ESTIMATES here and not the TRUE FACTUAL READING. And next month you will continue to do the same meaning I am always going to be 'Owing' you something!! And below is my current Gas readings.

29 November 2018 14193 Estimate
30 November
14183 Customer Read
29 December 2018 14312 Estimate
Meter units used: 119
Energy* 1318 kWh @ 3.43 p/kWh £ 45.24

And my current readings are 14301 just 11 units out so almost spot on here so no real issues. However the calculation as I have said before SHOULDN'T be from your Estimate to Estimate but from my CUSTOMER READ to your Estimate or if I can send to you in time. Customer Read to Customer Read. Many thanks.

Comments

• edited December 2018
    mark2533

From the information which you have supplied could the problem be that you are supplying your meter readings a day late?

Each month Bulb send out a email saying something like:

Keeping your account shipshape

Hi ******,

Just so you know, your monthly payment of £**.00 will come out of your bank account in three days.

If you'd like us to calculate your monthly statement using your actual usage, enter a meter reading in your Bulb Account today or tomorrow.

If you don't supply meter reading within this 2 day time frame your statement will be based on estimated readings.

Bulb may be able to retrospectively change the estimate readings and reissue a new statement. If not I could advise you how to get the readings back on an even keel.

PS: Just noticed this advice on the "Submit a reading page"

Meter readings you submit two days before your payment are used directly to calculate your bill.

If you submit a meter reading at another time, we use it to adjust your estimated usage. The more meter readings you submit, the more accurate this estimate can be. Submitting meter readings every month ensures this estimate will be very close to your actual usage.
  • Allanr the payment is due to leave my account in three days time on the 1st of January. The readings were submitted today as from the 29th of December so hopefully I will receive updated statements. I have submitted readings much earlier then this before in the past however and it rarely reads correct the next month going forward. I would appreciate any advice given on how to get the readings back to where they should be once again and thank you.
  • edited December 2018
    mark2533 said:

Allanr the payment is due to leave my account in three days time on the 1st of January. The readings were submitted today as from the 29th of December so hopefully I will receive updated statements. I have submitted readings much earlier then this before in the past however and it rarely reads correct the next month going forward. I would appreciate any advice given on how to get the readings back to where they should be once again and thank you.

Taking your first point, the problem is that you are confusing the fact the payment is leaving your account. You should ignore this date, you should submit your meter reading one or two days before the statement is prepared. From the information you have supplied, your statement preparation date is 29 th of each month therefore you need to supply your meter reading on either the 27 th or 28 th of each month to get accurate bills/statements. If you submit readings on say 24 th of the month, then Bulb will estimate what you have used between the 24 and 29 th of the month. As mentioned in my earlier response readings should be submitted in the time frame mentioned in the monthly email reminder from Bulb.

If it was me, what I would do to get the meter readings back on an even keel.

on the 27/28 January submit the following meter readings:

Electricity

46280 or your actual reading on that day if higher.

Gas

14315 or your actual reading on that day if higher.
  • edited December 2018
    mark2533 said:

Dear Bulb...It may only effect my account by a few pounds each month...But it's ALWAYS IN YOUR FAVOUR...Please go by my CORRECT METER READINGS rather then your always a little out Estimates when calculating my bills!! You always record them WITH my bills but it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to how you overall calculate. This is becoming to get on my nerves. For example current Electric readings as below.

The problem, as @Allanr has described, is that you're submitting your meter readings at the wrong time.

Do you not get the reminder email that says:
    If you'd like us to calculate your monthly statement using your actual usage, enter a meter reading in your Bulb Account today or tomorrow.
    For you, "today or tomorrow" is the 27th and 28th of each month (earlier in February). You need to follow the clear and simple instructions as given by Bulb. If you submit at the correct time in January then your January bill will be based on the difference between the December estimate and the actual January. Do the same again in February and that bill will be calculated between two actual readings.