No control over how much you pay. — Bulb Community

No control over how much you pay.

Hi.
I changed over to Bulb in September 18 and send accurate meter readings on the last day of each month for both gas and electricity. After several emails to Bulb it seems that my payment dates now suit my meter reading dates although I have not noticed Bulb taking any notice of my accurate meter readings as yet apart from increasing their monthly charge for increased use soon after change over!
I now notice that on 11th December an estimated meter reading was recorded on my gas account without my knowledge.
I like to be in control of my energy use and pay what I owe, not an estimate, not an annual average. But with payment in advance based on annual average and additional estimated meter reading I now pay much more than before and have no idea if any of it is correct. I have checked uSwitch and it still says that Bulb is the cheapest. A shame that I cannot support that statement. Will look around for a better supplier or change back to my previous one.

Comments

• Are you sending the readings in when you receive the reminder email? you only have a 2 day window to submit your readings or they will use estimates.
    You can change your dd online to suit your usage providing you stay 1 month in advance.
    Much more info available by using the help button.
    On occasion estimates may be submitted when a meter reader calls and takes a reading (Ofgem rules)
  • Personally I find the 'annual average' DD system to be very convenient, but if you really want a 'pay as you go' scheme then Bulb is not for you.
    I've only been with a couple of other suppliers, but I'd be surprised if any others are as flexible as Bulb.
    The DD amount can be amended by the customer, as can the date in the month. One off top ups can be payed in, and refunds can be made if the credit is excessive.
    As @scudo says, there's a wealth of info available behind the 'Help' link.
  • edited December 2018
    I don't understand this at all. You have full control over how much you pay. You can select the date and amount of your direct debit. Actual meter readings are used provided you submit them within the window specified in the reminder email you receive each month, i.e., 1-2 days before the date your bill is produced (note this is not the same as the direct debit date). What more do you want/need?

• Personally, I hate paying my energy bill in full every month. I pay £65 a month regardless of usage so I build up credit for winter.

Just makes financing much easier - no shock winter bills.
  • Just makes financing much easier - no shock winter bills.

I'd argue there are never any shock winter bills because, well, you know winter is coming. It doesn't arrive by surprise.

Not all of my bills are spread monthly. Many are still paid annually, such as car insurance where a monthly payment programme is not provided for free. I don't need a business to nanny me and manage my cashflow for me. To quote your other post, why not be an adult about it and manage your own budgeting and cashflow?
  • Hooloovoo said:

Just makes financing much easier - no shock winter bills.

I'd argue there are never any shock winter bills because, well, you know winter is coming. It doesn't arrive by surprise.

Not all of my bills are spread monthly. Many are still paid annually, such as car insurance where a monthly payment programme is not provided for free. I don't need a business to nanny me and manage my cashflow for me. To quote your other post, why not be an adult about it and manage your own budgeting and cashflow?
    Because I can't be bothered, and this is easier?

How about not digging through people's post histories and trying to use it against them - talk about childish.
  • edited January 4

How about not digging through people's post histories and trying to use it against them - talk about childish.

Your suggestion is to some extent counter to what we keep saying to fellow posters on this forum, that is to please check the Help File and Community Post. It is in fact quite easy to see what any indivual has posted so I don't think Hooloovoo would have done much digging to find your previous post in the same way as he or you could find all my posts perhaps some to come back to haunt me?

• How about not digging through people's post histories and trying to use it against them - talk about childish.

I didn't.

I read your previous rude and incorrect post immediately before reading this one, because they were adjacent in the recent posts list.