Prepayment Extortionate charges — Bulb Community

Prepayment Extortionate charges

Hi,

We are living in a 1 bed flat and are paying £130 a month, we have only been with Bulb one month, previously we lived in a 2 bed flat and only paid £60 a month so why is it costing so much? Our usage is no more and we have less rooms to heat, we also turn everything but the fridge off at night!

Comments

• I'm afraid my crystal ball isn't working, so without significantly more information to go on it's impossible to say.
  • Have you provided an actual reading at the end of the first month?
  • Hooloovoo : I haven’t asked a question here before and didn’t know what info to include. Your sarcastic comment is much appreciated!
    There are 2 of us living in a 1 bed flat with low usage due to working and being out of the flat during the day. We joined Bulb on 20.11.18 and have topped up £130 between then and 25.12.18. We were with British Gas for our first month and paid £65 for 15.10.18 to 19.11.18. So I was wondering if Bulb have cheaper rates, why we are paying so much money when our energy usage has not changed.
    Also due to being on prepayment meter I haven’t found anywhere to actually list my meter readings as it is payment via key. I’ll call Bulb. Thanks.
  • KelseyG said:

Hooloovoo : I haven’t asked a question here before and didn’t know what info to include. Your sarcastic comment is much appreciated!

Safe to say "what to include" is more than "hardly anything" :)
    KelseyG said:

There are 2 of us living in a 1 bed flat with low usage due to working and being out of the flat during the day. We joined Bulb on 20.11.18 and have topped up £130 between then and 25.12.18. We were with British Gas for our first month and paid £65 for 15.10.18 to 19.11.18. So I was wondering if Bulb have cheaper rates, why we are paying so much money when our energy usage has not changed.
    Also due to being on prepayment meter I haven’t found anywhere to actually list my meter readings as it is payment via key. I’ll call Bulb. Thanks.

Is this dual fuel, both electric and gas, or just electric? If dual fuel which one do you consider to be causing the high cost?

Do you have electric heating? There's a big temperature difference between November and December, and heating is very expensive so this could easily account for the difference, especially if electric rather than gas.

With a prepay meter, there's no need to submit meter readings. However, I believe there should still be a way of getting the meter readings, and I would suggest doing so and keeping your own log. You say your energy usage has not changed, but it's impossible to be sure without the actual meter readings. I would log your meter readings every day for the next week or more and see if the usage looks reasonable. It could well be that you've got a slight gas leak somewhere, or perhaps an electric appliance such as an immersion heater has got stuck on.

I apologise for the facetious comment, but I'm sure you understand that without significant detail on what you've done so far to try to work out where the problem might be, if there is one, it's very difficult to offer any advice.
  • Why not be an adult about it and go check your meter... see what you've used, input them into the website, and get a new bill generated...

£130 credit into your account does not equal £130 credit used... it's not rocket science!
  • Why not be an adult about it and go check your meter... see what you've used, input them into the website, and get a new bill generated...

£130 credit into your account does not equal £130 credit used... it's not rocket science!

@KelseyG is on a prepayment meter, so @darren8792 none of your advice applies.

Try reading the posts ... it's not rocket science!