Smart tariff tie in period? — Bulb Community

Smart tariff tie in period?

If I switch to the smart tariff is there a tie in period, or if I find that my bills increase can I switch back to the single rate tariff whenever I want?

I think I should save a little bit, as long as the charging timer in the car behaves itself, but for the north of Scotland there's not a huge saving on the night rate compared to many other areas.

Also, just before I switched to Bulb I got a new in home display. I didn't bother connecting it because I was using their app at the time. If my smets1 meter is one of the ones that can move to the smart tariff would Bulb then be able to let me connect up the in home display (if I can find where I put it...)

Comments

• Jayne_H said:

If I switch to the smart tariff is there a tie in period, or if I find that my bills increase can I switch back to the single rate tariff whenever I want?

Someone else asked that question on here that received an answer from Bulb, but I can't seem to find it right now.

The answer was that there is no minimum term. You can change back to the single-rate vari-fare any time you want, and you'll even retain the smart functionality that has been activated. I'm afraid I can't cite anything specific from Bulb confirming this, so you might like to wait for an official reply anyway.
  • At the very *most* it should be a month - as Bulb only offer 'rolling month contracts' and don't tie you into any fixed terms. What the shortest period is though, I'm also not sure (I doubt they'll want you to switch to the smart tariff at the cheapest rates and then switch to standard Eco 7 when it hits the peak and then to 'normal rate' during the day - all on the same day).
  • Thanks Hooloovoo, that's what I thought was likely, but I couldn't find anything when I went looking.

Sorry Richy, I phrased it badly. I wouldn't want to be constantly switching between smart and single rate, it would just be if I found smart tariff to be more expensive overall then whether I could switch back to vari-fair without a long tie in. A month is fine.