Gas increase prices — Bulb Community

Gas increase prices

Just got my gas bill in for Jan 2019 which is 50 percent up on last year, same usage. JOKE and DISGUSTED!!!

Comments

• I doubt anyone is happy with recent gas bills but as far as I am aware all companies have had large rises during 2018.
    Mine has also risen but on checking `switch` sites it aint worth switching.
  • edited January 4

Just got my gas bill in for Jan 2019 which is 50 percent up on last year, same usage. JOKE and DISGUSTED!!!

These two Blogs may perhaps explain the situation:

https://bulb.co.uk/blog/energy-price-watch-changes-to-our-energy-prices-sept

and

https://bulb.co.uk/blog/wholesale-energy-market-update-december

In my case my gas "unit rates" have increased by 36.4% when comparing my bill on 2 June 2018 with that on 1 January 2019 however a price comparison with other energy suppliers show they have also increased their prices. Fingers crossed the gas rates will be reducing in the coming months.
  • Not wanting to sound difficult but if prices have decreased since September why havent they yet been passed on ? I thought energy was purchased 3 months in advance ?
  • I think, @Shaun_C_01, Bulb is trying to keep these high prices for the winter to maximise its profit, as the gas usage is much higher during that period of the year. Indeed, the gas price has dropped a lot since September. I believe sooner or later Bulb will decrease its tariffs. Hopefully, electricity tariff will fall as well. As, they increase it saying that gas price is also affecting the electricity price, even if it comes from renewables.
  • Just got my gas bill in for Jan 2019 which is 50 percent up on last year, same usage. JOKE and DISGUSTED!!!

Gas prices have almost halved since their November peak so when are prices going to go down ?
  • Looking at the Q1 2020 wholesale prices, 3rd Sept 68.3p per Therm, 2 Jan 63.7p per therm. Prices shot up (and we didn't pay any increase) in November, and they are now just below the 3rd Sept price. Don't expect any big decrease in what we pay I'm afraid.
  • edited January 8
    Bernard_S said:

Gas prices have almost halved since their November peak so when are prices going to go down ?

I don't know the answer to your question, but in the Blog "Winter energy price watch: the wholesale market and your bill" produced by Bulb on 21 December 2018 it says: "If prices continue to fall, we'll be able to pass that decrease on to you, our members. We’ll update you in 2019.

So it is a case of wait and see.