Balance not adjusted — Bulb Community

Balance not adjusted

My recent statement was calculated on an estimated reading. This was estimated at £130. The next day I entered actual meter reading which turned out to be lower than the estimate (roughly £105). The usage section was adjusted accordingly by yourselves, which is fine, however, my actual statement has not been adjusted accordingly. My balance still shows an adjustment of £130 coming out for January, rather than £105, which was the actual total. Given that I didn't use the extra £25 of energy, I was wondering why this is still showing as a debit on my account?

Comments

• DavM said:

Given that I didn't use the extra £25 of energy, I was wondering why this is still showing as a debit on my account?

Because the statement is, well, a statement. It's already been produced. It's done and dusted. It's like asking your bank why a transaction you made today isn't on yesterdays statement. If you want your statement to be based on actual usage, then you need to submit your actual meter readings 1-2 days before the statement is produced. You should be receiving reminder emails asking you to submit your meter readings when the "window" is open for the statement.

Whilst it may feel like you've "overpaid" this month, you haven't really. If you ensure you submit your meter readings at the right time next month, it'll all get sorted out.
  • I'm talking about the rolling statement on the website, the one where your balance is displayed. They took £130 off of my balance (which is fine as that was the estimated payment). A few days later they added my monthly payment to the balance, again that's fine. My point is that my "balance" is out by £25 as it currently stands and I was querying when that would be fixed.
  • DavM said:

I'm talking about the rolling statement on the website, the one where your balance is displayed. They took £130 off of my balance (which is fine as that was the estimated payment). A few days later they added my monthly payment to the balance, again that's fine. My point is that my "balance" is out by £25 as it currently stands and I was querying when that would be fixed.

It will correct itself on your next statement.

To get if fully correct you need to submit your next meeting reading a day or 2 before the next statement is prepared, i.e. when you get the reminder from Bulb.
  • DavM said:

I'm talking about the rolling statement on the website, the one where your balance is displayed. They took £130 off of my balance (which is fine as that was the estimated payment). A few days later they added my monthly payment to the balance, again that's fine. My point is that my "balance" is out by £25 as it currently stands and I was querying when that would be fixed.

The "rolling statement" isn't a statement. It's an account balance. It shows credits from your monthly payment and debits from your statements. The balance isn't out, it's correctly showing what has been paid in and what has been taken on your statement. It wont "correct" in any way since there is nothing wrong to be corrected.

Provided you submit next months meter reading at the correct time, your next statement will be based on actual meter readings and everything will be up to date. Essentially you've paid a little extra this month due to the estimate that was too high, and so next month you'll end up paying a little less. By "pay" I mean the total that appears on the statement - don't confuse the bill with your direct debit amount since the two are almost entirely unrelated for any given month.

This article may help you understand:

https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115003405632-How-do-Bulb-payments-and-statements-work-

In case you were wondering, this is basically how all suppliers operate their monthly payment systems. Bulb isn't any more or less complicated than any other supplier.
  • @Hooloovoo

Regardless of what terminology is used I think DavM is asking how do the ongoing balance take into account an estimated meter reading which is higher than the actual meter reading.

As mentioned in my earlier response the balance will be correctly shown on the next statement if meter readings are supplied a day or so before the statement is produced, this is analogies to saying the statement (and balance) will self correct itself.
  • Allanr said:

Regardless of what terminology is used I think DavM is asking how do the ongoing balance take into account an estimated meter reading which is higher than the actual meter reading.

I don't think he is. I think he's expecting to see a £25 credit to his account, and asking when it would appear. It'll never appear, because as you say it'll be corrected on the next statement assuming accurate meter readings are entered at the appropriate time. But even then, it wont appear anywhere with an entry along the lines of "estimate correction: £-25".