Installing a new meter — Bulb Community

Installing a new meter

Hi Bulb,
I'm a current customer of you and have both gas and electricity meters installed in my flat. I also have a free standing garage where I would like to install electricity. It has previously had electricity but this was cut off a decade ago due to it being connected to the communal power supply. As such I would need a new meter installed in order to set up a connection. There seems to be a power supply just behind the garage as other garages have meters installed there for their supply.

I was wondering, does bulb install new meters or would I have to reach out to another power company for this? If you do, how would I go about it?

Thanks
Cedric

Comments

• I have a meter and consumer unit under the bath which I feel is dangerous. It's about 50 years old and has fuses. Will Bulb move it to a safer situation and update the consumer unit?
  • I have a meter and consumer unit under the bath which I feel is dangerous. It's about 50 years old and has fuses. Will Bulb move it to a safer situation and update the consumer unit?

No, everything "down stream" of the meter is your responsibility. You'll need to get a local electrician to do this work for you.
  • CNJ said:

I was wondering, does bulb install new meters or would I have to reach out to another power company for this? If you do, how would I go about it?

Bulb, and other suppliers, handle the billing and metering.

The actual installation and supply of electricity is handled by your Distribution Network Operator (DNO). You'll need to pay the DNO for a new installation, after which the meter and billing can be arranged. Bear in mind that this will not be cheap, and will also involve a third set of standing charges since you'll now have three meters.

What EV are you looking to get? :)