Loss of Dual-Fuel Discount — Bulb Community

Loss of Dual-Fuel Discount

I see that single-fuel customers are getting a bonus due to your recent change. How about a bonus for your dual-fuel customers?

Comments

• I see that single-fuel customers are getting a bonus due to your recent change. How about a bonus for your dual-fuel customers?

Good luck to the single fuel customers, it just means their standing charges are exactly the same as duel fuel customers such as myself.

• Some only have access to one fuel type- those in all electric flats, or rural areas without gas. They are already being penalised with vastly higher unit rates for heat, I don't begrudge them a few pence!
  • Hi @Alan_Reading, we lowered everyone's standing charge to simplify comparisons, and also not to penalise single fuel members. We've equalised this discrepency by lowering the standing charge. If anything we're bringing our single fuel members back to parity with dual fuel.
  • If anything we're bringing our single fuel members back to parity with dual fuel.

This is the trouble with discounts - one man's discount is another man's penalty. It's good that you've changed it.

Sad that some people aren't happy unless they're doing better than someone else, even if by just £15 per year.
  • edited January 11
    Personally I have always though the best way to open up the energy market would be to ban all standing charges, discounts etc. Power should be sold by unit price alone. If all suppliers charged only by the unit, one could see at a glance who was cheapest. The current system allows some to charge huge standing charges and relatively low unit prices and vice versa. I am not an idiot when it comes to maths, but even I struggle with comparisons when trying to work out different scenarios. One of the benefits would be with a bit of luck the true rip off merchants would be exposed much more easily and hopefully those who have historically been resistant to switching (the elderly, those on a tight budget) would realise and do something about it!
  • Ed1178 said:

Personally I have always though the best way to open up the energy market would be to ban all standing charges, discounts etc. Power should be sold by unit price alone. If all suppliers charged only by the unit, one could see at a glance who was cheapest. The current system allows some to charge huge standing charges and relatively low unit prices and vice versa

It depends on your usage - if you have a 'holiday home' which is empty 90% of the time, a high unit cost/no standing charge tariff would be ideal: but if your house is occupied 24/7 and you use a high amount of power, you'll prefer a low unit cost in sacrifice for a higher standing charge (as Bulb tends to offer).

To me, Bulb makes very little on their unit costs (once they've paid out to the generators, distributors, National Grid etc) and relies on the standing charge to actually pay their staff (as staff/office costs are relatively 'fixed' every month, doesn't really change in the weather and as they get more customers they need more staff/larger offices - so being based on the standing charge makes sense, doing it on profit on 'unit costs' could mean getting rid of staff during the summer when there is lower usage...).. Obviously, this doesn't make Bulb suitable for really low usage scenarios (holiday home example), but I have seen them admit that.

Of course there are some suppliers (*cough* the big six *cough*) who want (in the words of Jim Sterling) 'all the money' and hit customers with high unit costs AND high standing charges.

The discounts/fixed contract lengths being banned, I do agree with: if anything to make it easier for comparison sites when they ask which tariff you are on.