Economy Seven meter — Bulb Community

Economy Seven meter

We’ve switched to Bulb thinking (wrongly) that our Evonomy 7 readings (we no longer have storage heaters) would simply be added together as one reading on the same tarrif as with our previous supplier.
Instead i’ve Realised we’re being charged on a really expensive Day and Night tarrif which has massively increased our bills as we use most of our power in the day.
Can you combine the two readings into one simple tarrif or change our meter please to a standard single reading? Thank you

Comments

• Do you know exactly how many hours offpeak do you have? I know it's called Economy-7 but sometimes the night duration varies, and it makes a difference to your situation.

This thread may offer some explanation: https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/comment/25558
  • I would contact bulb directly about this- you may not realise this is a public forum where fellow customers chat and offer each other advice. Bulb do look in but you will get a much faster response if you contact them directly from the help section. It should be straightforward enough to sort out with a meter swap as you suggest, I'm not sure if they will combine readings or not, butbgenerally they are a helpful bunch!
  • I was in exactly the same situation; no Bulb will not add the two together and charge as a single tariff. Don't know why, they haven't provided any explanation, but they wont. Consequently you will be paying more than the rate they quoted you (but note, it may not be more expensive than another provider)

Interestingly the link that Hooloovoo gives above suggests that if you have a dual reading meter on an Economy 10 setting rather than Economy 7, then Bulb wont allow you onto a dual tariff but insist on a single tariff. Bizarre...
  • ccc said:

I was in exactly the same situation; no Bulb will not add the two together and charge as a single tariff. Don't know why, they haven't provided any explanation, but they wont.

I'm 90%+ sure I recently saw a post by Bulb staff explaining why, but I can't find it now.. However, if memory serves, the jist of it is due to what Bulb are charged for the power/distribution costs - they are charged more at 'peak' times than off peak (strange that ;) ).

For single rate meters the DNOs, generators and National Grid all therefore 'average out' the costs so 5Kwh of power costs the same at 11am or 11pm.

However, if they know Bulb is supplying a split tariff meter then they'll make Bulb pay the 'actual costs' - so to ensure Bulb isn't under or overcharging customers, they just 'pass the price' on (with their markup to pay their staff) and the only way to do this will be to bill you are they are being bills: so two tariff meter costs will result in a two tariff bill.

I'm sure Bulb staff explained it a lot clearer/better...if anyone can find that post, it'll be appreciated.
  • Interesting. So my previous supplier was paying extra for my fuel but not passing this on? How strange! And apparently does this not apply to split tariff meters on Economy 10? What is the difference?
  • RichyB said:

I'm 90%+ sure I recently saw a post by Bulb staff explaining why, but I can't find it now.. However, if memory serves, the jist of it is due to what Bulb are charged for the power/distribution costs - they are charged more at 'peak' times than off peak (strange that ;) ).

I spent ages trying to find that post when replying yesterday. I can't find it either. But, yes, what you've said was pretty much the answer. It was something to do with Bulb being charged more by default if your meter has two rates with less than 8.5 hours off-peak, and so they have no choice but to put you on the two rate tariff.

@Eleanor at Bulb I'm sure it was you that replied to this last time. Could you remind us why E10 can have the readings added together but not on E7?
  • edited January 12
    Heya all.

Members that use ~30-40% of their electricity at night can save money on their bills if they have an economy 7 (E7) meter. For these members, we only offer a two-rate agreement. A two-rate agreement means that the unit rate is higher during the day than it is at night.

If you want to find out what the unit rates are for your region, you can check out our tariff page on our website.

We encourage our members to switch to using more energy overnight if they can because it's cheaper and helps with the loadbalance on the energy grid.

Our E7 two-rate agreement is for meters that record up to 8.5 off-peak hours. I've previously mentioned that in Scotland, the standard E7 meter records 8.5 off-peak hours :o . We think it would be unfair if we didn't offer the E7 tariff to our members in Scotland which is why we set the threshold at 8.5 and not 7 hours.

@RichyB is right, we lose money if we offer any more off-peak hours than this.

If a meter's off-peak hours cover usage during the day (morning/lunch/afternoon/early evening) it's likely to be an E10 meter. We need to put E10 meters on a one-rate agreement because of how we buy energy.

We buy energy for two-rate meters on a two-rate profile curve. As E10 meters record off-peak at the most expensive times, if we're charging members off-peak rates for daytime usage, we'll be paying more for your energy then you pay us. Basically, we'd lose money.

So for E10 meters, we add the rates together and offer a one-rate agreement.

Other suppliers do offer an E10 rate. This is often a three-rate agreement and on-peak hours are charged at a significantly higher unit rate.

Our smart tariff is an alternative way for members to save on their energy bills.

At Bulb, we like to keep things simple. We understand that there is room for improvment in communicating our E7 and E10 offerings.

So we'd like to hear your feedback. How can we make this clearer?