Any chance of kWh gas meter submission option? — Bulb Community

Any chance of kWh gas meter submission option?

Due to having a smart-meter from my previous supplier which reads gas figures on the remote display in kWh rather than m3, I was wondering if it might be possible to have an option to submit figures for gas readings in those units?
Granted, I'm being lazy, but the remote display (where I already get my electric readings) is literally feet away, whereas crawling around for the gas figures is an exercise in contortion I'd rather avoid if I can. :D

(Before anyone mentions it, I'm not interested in going on to the smart-meter trial if it requires I also go on the smart tariff. I also don't currently know what smart meter I'm on, aside from "whatever it is that e.on were using", so compatibility's not a given.)

Comments

• edited January 11

Due to having a smart-meter from my previous supplier which reads gas figures on the remote display in kWh rather than m3, I was wondering if it might be possible to have an option to submit figures for gas readings in those units?

How are you going to ensure your IHD is using the correct volumetric conversion factor and calorific value?

Granted, I'm being lazy, but the remote display (where I already get my electric readings) is literally feet away, whereas crawling around for the gas figures is an exercise in contortion I'd rather avoid if I can. :D

Have you looked through all the options to see if your IHD can tell you the actual current meter readings? Mine does, and I agree it's certainly easier than crawling about under the stairs to read the gas meter.

How are you getting the electric readings from the IHD? Doesn't it just tell you day, week, month, year to date? If it tells you the actual current total cumulative import then somewhere around that screen should be the gas reading as well.
  • Hooloovoo said:

How are you going to ensure your IHD is using the correct volumetric conversion factor and calorific value?

My hope is that that's already associated with my account, so I shouldn't need to know it; conversion happening in the back-end.
    Hooloovoo said:

Have you looked through all the options to see if your IHD can tell you the actual current meter readings? Mine does, and I agree it's certainly easier than crawling about under the stairs to read the gas meter.

How are you getting the electric readings from the IHD? Doesn't it just tell you day, week, month, year to date? If it tells you the actual current total cumulative import then somewhere around that screen should be the gas reading as well.

It's in the minimalist "settings" section - basically just gives a kWh figure toggleable between electric and gas, meter credit (zero), tarriff (0.00p/kWh), and whether I want the IHD to make noise. Under what scenarios that latter doesn't specify, probably something credit-related.

• edited January 18

My hope is that that's already associated with my account, so I shouldn't need to know it; conversion happening in the back-end.

That's true if the meters are being read by the supplier and the IHD updated with the required conversion constants, which yours currently is not. Even then, I'm not certain the the gas kWh usage indicated by the IHD is using the correct up to date conversion constants and not just using close-enough indicative values.

It's in the minimalist "settings" section - basically just gives a kWh figure toggleable between electric and gas, meter credit (zero), tarriff (0.00p/kWh), and whether I want the IHD to make noise. Under what scenarios that latter doesn't specify, probably something credit-related.

That's it, under the settings menu. Are you certain that toggleable figure is showing gas in kWh and not the raw meter reading? Mine certainly shows the raw meter readings - kWh for electric and m^3 for gas. I bet if you compare the remote gas reading from the settings menu from the reading available directly from the meter you'll see that it's the raw meter reading.