With bulbs meteoric growth can they still guarantee 100% renewable? — Bulb Community

With bulbs meteoric growth can they still guarantee 100% renewable?

I'm not completely clued up on how bulb go about buying their electricity, however with bulb increasing their membership 5 fold in the last 12 months, do their renewable generators have enough capacity to supply say the 3000kwh an average household uses in electricity a year.

(number plucked from my own usage, and trebled)

Comments

• Yes.

https://bulb.co.uk/generators/

We're a way off running out renewables for the country's demand (as I understand it), and with renewables time and time again proving to now be the cheapest way to generate power, we're going to continue to see investment in renewables rather than fossil fuels in the future.
  • Guaranteeing 100% renewable electricity is still very easy. My recent green energy report from Bulb gave a figure of 2 million households signed up to 100% green tariffs and there are about 27 million households - so less than 2% of the domestic market are currently buying up the REGO certificates suppliers use to guarantee their energy is green. Over 30% of the grid is powered by renewables now so there is still a huge surplus of certificates to go round and that's before you consider only about 1/3 of electricity is consumed domestically. This means that the certificates are very cheap (hence why it is quite easy from unscrupulous companies to green wash their figures).

The truth is that until we have many more millions of households (as well as businesses and industry) committed to buying up renewables it isn't going t affect supply/demand dynamics much. Hopefully that day will come and there is still great symbolism and value in buying from suppliers committed to renewables but it's realistically still a long way off.

I think the really interesting part is on the gas side where Bulb's crazy growth rate seems to be influencing the market for bio-gas. If they continue growing this fast we might see it genuinely resulting in new projects in order to satisfy the new demand created by companies like Bulb. A much bigger driver though is government policy and to be fair they did finally bring in a new Renewable Heat Incentive tariff last year that pays enough for new projects to be viable. Companies like Bulb signing longer-term contracts to buy up their output is also really important.