Bulb reducrs prices ?? — Bulb Community

Bulb reducrs prices ??

Hi
I am confused. My December Bulb statement states (twice) that Bulb have reduced their prices. I have compared and find no price reduction from November or October costs. What am I missing/misunderstanding ? I was expecting a price reduction but can see none.
Disappointed
BryanM

Comments

• Hi @BryanM,

If you look at the little (1) next to the 'Reduced our prices' and look at the totals on the left of your statement, you'll see the standing charge has come down (your gas price *might* have come down as well depending on your region) - your bill probably would not have really changed as the lower standing charge compensates for the loss of the dual fuel discount (they cancel each other out - apart from the fact you might save 1p extra each year with the new prices).

This was detailed in Bulb's blog post at https://bulb.co.uk/blog/simpler-statements-and-lower-standing-charges and you should have received an email around the 24th of December with a subject of 'Simplifying our tariff' detailing the same
  • So there has not been a price reduction (for me anyway) and the statement is, at best, misleading?
  • BryanM said:

So there has not been a price reduction (for me anyway) and the statement is, at best, misleading?

You are most likely in the same boat as me?

I agree it would have been better to say on the statement

(1) We decreased our standing charge from 21 December

rather than

(1) We decreased our prices from 21 December

In some regions but not mine the unit prices also reduced at the same time so I would have expected to see on those statements affected by the reduction to also have

(2) We decreased our unit rates from 21 December

• BryanM said:

So there has not been a price reduction (for me anyway) and the statement is, at best, misleading?

Yes and no. No, it wasn't misleading as they did actually reduce their prices (the standing charge did go down). But, yes, misleading in the price reduction was at a loss of another discount. I suspect the 'messaging' on the bill is actually limited in the software Bulb uses to produce the bills - but they did put a blog post out and send an email just before Christmas explaining it.
  • edited January 21
    Hi @BryanM

Every member that had a price change will have received an email from Bulb letting them know how this will have affected their bills.

We've written a blog explaining how this will affect different regions.

We have lowered your unit rate to 20.44p per day (19.47P without VAT). We replaced the dual fuel discount with a lower standing charge to avoid confusion and help compare us against other energy companies.

Some member's unit rates will have also decreased which is why we phrased it this way. @RichyB is right that we're slightly limited personalizing statements. But as it's causing confusion, I'll pass this to the copy team to take a look at.

Thanks for your feedback. It's important that you let us know so we can get this sorted.

That's a good suggestions @Allanr. I've passed it over.
  • Actually the whole thing is rather misleading as although Bulb have decreased the rate of the standing charge, they have totally removed the discount. The standing charge was only decreased to compensate so you are actually no better off. So to say to the majority that you are decreasing their prices when you're not saving them any money is very misleading. Definitely should have been worded differently.
  • Could you please let me know where Bulb have said to the majority they are decreasing their prices?

Customers in some regions have had genuine price reductions in their unit rates.

• Hi all, I didn't want to start a whole new thread for my question and it seems related to talk of prices .... im interested in your thoughts
    My bill has been steadily increasing since I started with bulb in September, which is understandable due to the winter coming on. However my usage this month compared to last month has been minimal yet I have seen another £20 increase in my bill and I cannot understand why.
    I.e
    reading 1 was 1081 in October, 1316, 1588 and this month 1856
    that is an increase of 235, 272 and 268
    reading 2 was 2284 in October, 2507, 2814 and 3135 this month
    increasing by 223, 307, 321

total increases 458, 579, 589

my bill went from £42.49 to 66.29 (understandable) but now this month to 86.10!
  • @FLS

If you check your most recent statement with the previous statement this will indicate how Bulb worked our your energy bill and give a clue as to the increase.

And to be absolutely certain you are referring to the actual cost of your energy as opposed to any direct debit payment or Monthly usage figures?

• I'm referring to the actual cost Bulb have charged me each month, I appreciate your point about checking the statement which I will do but for the small increase in usage this last month a £20 increase in charge seems inexplicable
  • FLS said:

but for the small increase in usage this last month a £20 increase in charge seems inexplicable

Only mathematics will tell you the answer. It's impossible for anyone to guess if it's right or not.
  • FLS said:

I'm referring to the actual cost Bulb have charged me each month, I appreciate your point about checking the statement which I will do but for the small increase in usage this last month a £20 increase in charge seems inexplicable

Without providing any personal information are you able to provide details of your last two bills showing kWh used and also unit prices. This may help to identify your problem?
  • Allanr said:

Could you please let me know where Bulb have said to the majority they are decreasing their prices?

Customers in some regions have had genuine price reductions in their unit rates.

December statements had the following on them "We had a price change! (1) We decreased our prices from 21 December"

Misleading when it is only the removal of the discount and reduction in standing charge to compensate.
  • edited January 31
    @angela1094

Thanks for clarifying your comments. Your initial response was immediately after Eleanor's inferring that she had mentioned about the majority were having a price reduction, obviously she didn't say such a thing. I do agree the statement could have been made clearer which is the reason I included my suggestion above https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/comment/26404/#Comment_26404