smart meter — Bulb Community

smart meter

My meters are under my cupboard and a bit hard to get to. I got told if I get a smart meters then every time I change my supplier then I have to have my smart meters changed as well so that is what is putting me off at the moment. But I feel I must have been given the wrong information it does not sound right to me can someone clarify this for me thanks

Comments

• That would apply with the older Smeg1 meters, the new version smeg2 I believe will work with other suppliers, there is a great demand for them hence the reason for the delays in getting them installed, Bulb held back to ensure they installed the latest version.
  • When will the Bulb Smart Meter be available? What if I don't like the Smart Meter, can I go back to the present system?
  • JB_1957 said:

When will the Bulb Smart Meter be available?

They are rolling out SMETS2 meters now, throughout this year.
    JB_1957 said:

What if I don't like the Smart Meter, can I go back to the present system?

No. But why would you not like it? It's only a utility meter. Do you often have strong feelings regarding measuring equipment?
  • nigel123 said:

I got told if I get a smart meters then every time I change my supplier then I have to have my smart meters changed as well so that is what is putting me off at the moment.

Wrong - who ever told you this is trying to scare you. If it was your current supplier (or someone representing them such as an engineer), I would say this is worthy of a formal complaint for misrepresentation/fraud as they are trying to 'lock you in' to them.

If you swap suppliers with a SMETS1 meter (i.e. the ones the 'big six' are still pushing out even though they are practically obsolete and aren't compatible with other suppliers), the *most* that will happen is it will become 'dumb': i.e. you'll just have to read the physically meter manually (like we all used to) and report to your new supplier the reading - and any 'in home display' may stop functioning or report incorrect information. It's possible that, depending on the make of meter, model, firmware and your location, by the end of the year it could be 100% 'smart' again if the new supplier can get it enrolled on to the DCC system which SMETS2 meters use.

• Be very wary of the SMETS2 installation offer. Mine is underway at the moment and the Siemens engineer is having a nightmare getting the communications to link up. He thinks they are still essentially beta testing but have proceeded to go live.
  • @AOR, there have been a handful of installs that have faced issues so far, mine included.

It's still early days in the rollouts so some issues are to be expected. Did you sign up for the "trial", or just expressing your interest in a smart meter? It does seem a little like Bulb may have started rolling out to those who expressed an interest before larger member trials had actually taken place.

Engineers are due to be troubleshooting my install a little later on today when they'll hopefully get to the bottom of why this has been happening.

If the connection is not successful today, trust that it will be resolved in the future though. With any luck, the issue will be something that can be resolved remotely rather than needing another engineer visit going forwards.

I will update later on when I know more.
  • My new meters are in dumb mode as they can't connect to the WAN. I don't know how long it will take to hook up to the control centre. It might be until the signal is improved or someone else gets one installed in the area as they can piggy back off each other apparently.
  • edited February 12
    Are you by any chance in Leeds?

I've just been having a chat to the engineers here and they mentioned another failed install that they attended this morning.
  • No, Edinburgh.I booked it via the Bulb email sent out on 7/2/19. saying book now and say goodbye to manual readings... I may have expressed an interest in the past as I am an energy geek
  • I was told I would need a second Siemens engineer visit to configure the display unit to the power meter with the WAN radio signal.
  • The IHD is linked up to the smart meter's communication hub remotely by Bulb so until the hub gets a connection to the DCC network (WAN connection), as I understand it, it cannot be paired for use.

Following up on my visit - the meters are still dumb.

Sounds like Arqiva have some serious coverage issues as my meter is by no means shielded from radio signals.
  • AORAOR
    edited February 12
    Good to know, maybe our meters will help others that follow, just as well I did my monthly readings today before the install. Good Luck