Upgrading to 3-Phase Supply — Bulb Community

Upgrading to 3-Phase Supply

I am looking to upgrade my house to a 3-Phase supply from a single phase because I need more capacity.

UK Power networks are quoting me for their part of the work, but said that you (as my supplier) would need to replace my existing Smart Meter with a 3-Phase Smart Meter.

Can you do this, at what cost, and what is involved?

Thanks

Comments

  • edited January 25
    This is a public forum for Bulb customers. You'll need to ask this question directly to Bulb themselves. Contact details are available from the Help page link at the top.
  • @Gizmo, out of interest, what do you need more than 100A for?

    You may have to wait until the general rollout of smart meters later in the year before they can offer you a 3-phase meter though. They have previously said they'd be able to do it.
    Standard meter replacement is ~£150 IIRC so I'd expect it to be around that price.
  • The house is already max'ed out, no Gas or Oil and we are looking to add a Granny Annexe in the garden that is fed from the main house. Our existing 100A supply just won't cut it.
  • I wonder what he's growing in there..... it sounds an inordinately huge amount. :#
  • Main house is heated by air source heat pump, charges two electric cars, big hot tub, double oven electric range, electric shower plus usual appliances. Granny Annexe is for Granny and Grand Dad and a few tomato plants I expect, but they will need electric heating too. Way too much to share the single 100A supply from the house. :anguished:
  • @Gizmo, I wonder whether this will become a far more common request in the future as everyone moves to electric cars and potentially electric heating.

    I have no plans to have another gas appliance fitted if I can avoid it. My kitchen re-fit (eventually) will have an induction hob, and when I'm next installing a heating system it'll be fully electric.

    Yes, it's (currently) more expensive, but gas just isn't the future.

    Yes, they're planning to switch my supply to Hydrogen eventually (which is slightly more the future) but that'll no doubt be created with electricity, and my current appliances can't run on hydrogen anyway (https://www.northerngasnetworks.co.uk/event/h21-launches-national/).
  • mowcius said:

    @Gizmo, I wonder whether this will become a far more common request in the future as everyone moves to electric cars and potentially electric heating.

    I have no plans to have another gas appliance fitted if I can avoid it. My kitchen re-fit (eventually) will have an induction hob, and when I'm next installing a heating system it'll be fully electric.

    Yes, it's (currently) more expensive, but gas just isn't the future.

    Completely agree. If I were specifying a new build today, the utilities on the list would be 3-phase electricity and FTTH.
  • Hooloovoo said:

    and FTTH

    You're making me drool.

    I can't really complain though as I can get Virgin Media, FTTC, and good 4G at my house. Reliability is a bigger deal to me than faster broadband (I'm only on 220/22 with VM). The backup VDSL connection will be being connected up later this year as I hopefully move towards working from home more.
  • mowcius said:

    You're making me drool.

    Ha. I don't have FTTH. I just meant if I were doing a Grand Design then 3-phase and FTTH would be high on the list.

    I have FTTC right now, and luckily I'm only about 200 metres from the cabinet so get practically the max modem sync rate at 80/20, the best you can do over an Openreach line and the max available to my property. I could get VM installed but don't fancy digging up the garden and driveway, VDSL2 is plenty fast enough (for the moment).
  • Hooloovoo said:

    mowcius said:

    @Gizmo, I wonder whether this will become a far more common request in the future as everyone moves to electric cars and potentially electric heating.

    I have no plans to have another gas appliance fitted if I can avoid it. My kitchen re-fit (eventually) will have an induction hob, and when I'm next installing a heating system it'll be fully electric.

    Yes, it's (currently) more expensive, but gas just isn't the future.

    Completely agree. If I were specifying a new build today, the utilities on the list would be 3-phase electricity and FTTH.
    Gas isn't even an option where I live but I coulnd't wait to rip out my oil heating boiler as soon as there was a viable clean alternative. My 100A supply has been fine, even with the two EV's as they mostly charge at night on economy 7.

    For me the clincher for 3-phase was the need for a 60-100A supply to the Granny Annexe in the garden.

    3-phase does have other benefits too as I gather you can have more Solar PV or Wind Gens at your house with 3-phase. I think you are practically limited to 16A per phase tied to the grid unless you jump through a lot of hoops to overcome this. My PV already uses my single phase allowance, so adding 3-phase could also give me more options to easily add more home generation in the future.

    Down with fossil fuels and up with green energy any day of the week. B)
  • Gizmo said:

    For me the clincher for 3-phase was the need for a 60-100A supply to the Granny Annexe in the garden.

    Would it be easier, and most likely significantly cheaper, to apply for a new single phase supply to the Granny Annexe?
  • Hooloovoo said:

    Gizmo said:

    For me the clincher for 3-phase was the need for a 60-100A supply to the Granny Annexe in the garden.

    Would it be easier, and most likely significantly cheaper, to apply for a new single phase supply to the Granny Annexe?
    I think costs would be pretty similar from the DNO, but the Granny Annexe wouldn't then be wholly subservient to the main house and Planning permission starts to complicate matters.
  • Ah, ok. I'm afraid I don't know anything about that. I only mentioned it because I've read on another forum a few people have had separate supplies installed to their external garages for EV charging. I suppose planning is simpler if the building already exists and is being retro-fitted with a new supply.


  • DNOs often get a bit upset if you request a second supply to a single address. I also doubt it would be cheaper.
    Also not sure why you'd want to as you'd be paying two standing charges and two seperate bills when with three phase you've got it all included.
    You'd also potentially have issues with energy suppliers who can't handle two supplies at one postal address.
  • edited February 7
    mowcius said:

    DNOs often get a bit upset if you request a second supply to a single address. I also doubt it would be cheaper.
    Also not sure why you'd want to as you'd be paying two standing charges and two seperate bills when with three phase you've got it all included.

    The situations I was referring to were where the garage was over the other side of a communal courtyard making it impossible to run a circuit from the house, or a garage that's otherwise completely separate from say an apartment building. Of issues that have come up with these installations, none of them have ever been an upset DNO or a supplier that couldn't handle an extra meter. There are benefits to three-phase but if that proves to be difficult for whatever reason, there are alternatives.
Sign In or Register to comment.