Why is so little of bulbs gas actually renewable? — Bulb Community

Why is so little of bulbs gas actually renewable?

I believe only 20% of Bulbs gas is renewable gas. I thought it was 100% when we switched. It’s not a problem. Just disappointing if that’s where we are up to right now.

Comments

• I believe it is supply constrained - i.e., it's difficult to produce biogas.
  • Hi @Chopdog - I've discussed this in a previous thread about Fracking: https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/8911/why-is-so-little-of-bulbs-gas-actually-renewable#latest I've popped a little extract of it below.

As for the Green gas, we're looking at what we can do. I've spoken with our Gas purchasing team and got a bit more information for you. Last year we bought about 15% of the green gas supply that was available in the UK, and this year it's been closer to 50%. Our overall aim for this is that the market responds to this bottom-up pressure and that more avenues of green gas supply start opening up, but at present our growth is significantly faster than the green gas industry's - as a result, it's unlikely we're going to be able to increase our percentage of green gas in the near future.

What we've been working on more this year is increasing the amount of 3 year contracts we sign for gas supply. In the past we've done a lot more spot sales and 1 year contracts, but by increasing the amount of 3 year contracts we're showing these producers that we have a long term commitment to these supply points, which increases confidence that developing more green gas plants is a great investment, while also providing a better shield to any volatility in the gas market.

the 15% and 50% are referring to 2017 and 2018 respectively, hope this helps!
  • Chopdog said:

I believe only 20% of Bulbs gas is renewable gas. I thought it was 100% when we switched.

I think there's been some confusion between the gas and electricity - since I've been a member (13 months now) - it's always been promoted as '10% green gas' (although the real figure has been between 15%-50%), but 100% renewable electricity ( https://bulb.co.uk/energy/ ).