Smart meter data will come to MyBulb soon — Bulb Community

Smart meter data will come to MyBulb soon

edited November 2017 in About Bulb
We'll start installing smart meters in 2018 as that's when the next generation of smart meters will become available and MyBulb on our website is first up to receive fancy graphs. Our website is fully responsive, so it works on every device, so it makes sense to make it available to everyone that we install a smart meter for straight away. Once we've built it for MyBulb, we'll make sure it's included in our mobile apps.

Is there anything specific that you'd like to see on your smart meter dashboard? We're all ears.

Check out our Roadmap to see everything we're working on.

Comments

  • A graph showing how much energy is being each hour of the day - it would be interesting to see what time of day energy use spikes.
  • katie7630 said:

    A graph showing how much energy is being each hour of the day - it would be interesting to see what time of day energy use spikes.

    Sounds good to us. We think there's a lot we can do to make it easier to see your usage visually, so thanks for this!
  • Will the new meters be able to be installed in tenements? They couldn't do it with my old supplier because my meters are up at the ceiling and apparently they weren't allowed to install them over a certain height.
  • Interesting question, @aisha1168 - we'll iron out the details of installation nearer to the time next year, but we should be able to install them for all our members.
  • I find the problem with smartmeters is that, in fact, the data isn't particularly smart! What about positioning usage data around some specific recommendations on how to change your behaviour. For example...

    Building on Katie's point above - great to see when the spikes are, but what can I do about it? I already know I used most energy during the morning when the heating kicks in and we all shower. Could you show little tips to improve/reduce energy usage base on my data at particular times of day?

    Linking usage to cost is more motivating that just seeing usage amount - I don't really know how much a kWh is...

    What about gamafying the experience - so setting customers little challenges based on their data... "You used x amount of Kwats this week, try to reduce this to X amount next week" - this could be shown as a progress bar... or lightening bolts... or light bulbs... or something :)

    I always find night an interesting one because I never know how low is too low for the thermostat. I'd be interesting to see how many times the heating cuts in (I guess the hourly usage graph above would show this). But I guess you could flag if heating comes on a lot in the night... if it seem irregular?

    Perhaps visually comparing your data with what an average household uses? Seeing the comparison visually might help show how far off you are? BUT.... I work form home so I won't be very average as I use heating 24/7... so might take a bit of profiling (I'd be up for completing that)...

    Sorry for the rambling! Just some ideas :)
  • edited November 2017
    Nikko said:

    Perhaps visually comparing your data with what an average household uses?

    The big issue here is that there's no such thing as an average house!

    As an example, even in terraced houses, a mid terrace with empty properties either side will use far more than one with lived in properties on each side (my house has noticeably colder party walls with both sides currently being vacant (and one side having most of the windows open).
    An elderly person with the heating set to 22C will also use far more than me with my heating set to around 17C.

    I always find night an interesting one because I never know how low is too low for the thermostat. I'd be interesting to see how many times the heating cuts in
    My Nest tells me this (only in 15 minute increments though) and every time I look at it I wish I'd managed to get more insulation done this year! My house cools down pretty darn quickly in the winter so even with the heating set to 14C at night, it flicks on and off a few times.
  • What sort of access will customers have to their data? For example could I request or download a years worth of useage if a third party company comes up with a product that could, say, use that data for a custom energy saving solution for me?
  • edited December 2017
    alex said:

    What sort of access will customers have to their data? For example could I request or download a years worth of useage if a third party company comes up with a product that could, say, use that data for a custom energy saving solution for me?

    In theory the meters could provide this directly (one I've looked at will store 13 months of meter reads every 30 seconds, I suspect it's pretty standard).
  • I'd like to see a live projection of the cost of my usage each day over the year as a graph (cycling up in winter and down in summer, I'm sure you have the trends down). Then, my actual usage can be compared to slightly longer term trends to see if I'm suddenly using more than I usually do.
    More usefully though, If you overlay how much I'm paying (and current balance, etc) onto that projected usage, I can really see if I'm paying enough.
  • How do I apply for a meter?
  • edited February 21
    Phedro said:

    I'd like to see a live projection of the cost of my usage each day over the year as a graph (cycling up in winter and down in summer, I'm sure you have the trends down). Then, my actual usage can be compared to slightly longer-term trends to see if I'm suddenly using more than I usually do.
    More usefully though, If you overlay how much I'm paying (and current balance, etc) onto that projected usage, I can really see if I'm paying enough.

    Thanks for your suggestion @Phedro. I'll popped this on our Open Road Map. We already have plans to make use of smart meter data in a much more useful way for members so I've attached it to the "show smart meter data in account" card.

    We'll keep you updated about how we're getting on with this.
  • I’d like two things
    1 - A heatmap of power usage showing time of day on the x axis and day of year on the y axis. This is an amazing way to see base consumption throughout the year (ie at 3am), peak demand times and how much more you use seasonally.
    2 - A calculator to compare costs between the smart plan and the normal plan based on your personal usage
  • I’d also like to see a web form for CAD pairing requests to your smart meter
  • tkerby said:

    I’d like two things
    1 - A heatmap of power usage showing time of day on the x axis and day of year on the y axis. This is an amazing way to see base consumption throughout the year (ie at 3am), peak demand times and how much more you use seasonally.
    2 - A calculator to compare costs between the smart plan and the normal plan based on your personal usage

    The heatmap would indeed be an amazing visualization!

    I wonder if there could also then be a couple of reference heatmap such as one covering the average use of bulb members on the same tariff who have smart meter submissions set to every 30 minutes (vari-fair, eco 7, smart etc.) Could be broken down further into your region for more similar weather pattern.

    Perhaps there should be a heatmap to show the UK overall consumption / co2 output which would highlight when consumption should have been avoided.

  • This is what I did on a business premises in 2005 with the heatmap
  • This is probably already in your plan but the capability to download data half hourly and daily kWh import and export figures in csv format would be great. (ideally with the ability to download a whole year worth of half hourly figures at a time).

    Its hard to predict what people will do with the data, set it free, let people play with it and then re-implement the best examples on the website.
  • edited February 27
    Thanks for all your ideas. They've been popped on the Open Road Map ideas section.

    If you find other ideas you like on there, give them a :+1: to let us know you are keen to have them built.

    I'll be meeting with our head of product next week. So get your ideas in for the March edition of the Open Road Map update.

  • I would like.am api that can trigger ifttt to switch on a smart switched based on power usage. More. Importantly to me, I have solar panels so I would like to switch on a. Device when exporting power over a threshold for a period, switch off again when importing..
    I already do this for an immersion heater but that has its own bespoke electronics. This solution would.allow any device to be switched on, anywhere in the house when I have surplus power. The use cases for that are numerous
  • edited April 29
    @Swinbsp01, both a dedicated API and IFTTT integration are down as ideas on the Open Roadmap
  • I'd love some simple and complex stuff like

    Simples:
    by mode:
    whats using the most of my electric at a glance eg night storage heaters, megaflow water boiler, washing machine, fridge freezer, kettle, cooker, microwave, slow cooker, toaster, lamps, room lights, TV, alexa, etc

    vs
    by time/ date/ day
    when does my electric peak and when is it lowest?

    tips
    recommend to me to wash clothes at night on economy 7 cheaper rate or similar

    link with Alexa and Monzo bank and IFFT for tools and tracking

    export data to Google sheets and use it to project and compare like for like data

    Also tell me am I above or below my house/ number of people or local area?
    eg for a single person am I using more or less than the norm?
  • ThatGuy said:

    This is probably already in your plan but the capability to download data half hourly and daily kWh import and export figures in csv format would be great. (ideally with the ability to download a whole year worth of half hourly figures at a time).

    Its hard to predict what people will do with the data, set it free, let people play with it and then re-implement the best examples on the website.

    Love this idea!
Sign In or Register to comment.