Average Usage — Bulb Community

Average Usage

Hi all,

I know this is quite a generic question but just after some opinions. I submit my readings every month so i get accurate bills. For anyone else who does that too and have a 3 bedroom house, I would be interested to know what your approx monthly usage is.

For example, in January it has come in at 945 kWh for Electric and and for gas it says 138 units used.

Just to give a rough idea, we do have someone at home most days with one of our kids and our conservatory is heated by electric under floor heating, so i expect it may be higher than average, but just wondered peoples thoughts.

I understand being winter everyone uses more energy, but I just wondered if this sounds exceptionally high?

I did check my July statement for June which showed 285 kWH for electric and 26 units used for gas.

Look forward to hearing peoples views.

Comments

• edited February 1
    4 bed detached at home 24/7. Gas central heating.
    Numbers are kWh per month. I feed in info when the bill comes in so Feb is actually Jan usage.

• My daily use is something like this.

Electric (kwh): 9 in summer and 11 in winter
    Gas (m^2): 1 in summer, 4 in winter and 6 in the cold months.

These are all approx & rounded up. I think my house is reasonably well insulated. Gas heating & hob. Well occupied busy house, family 4. In winter heated to 19C, most of the time.

Compared to me your electricity sounds high in January (almost 3 times). & gas is lower

So yes, your January electricity use sounds high.
  • Three Bedroom 1930's Semi. Refurnished & well insulated. South West. Working couple.
    Jan Elect 95 kwh, so about 3 kwh per day. Gas 3 m3 per day (About 33 kwh).
    Electric under floor heating in a conservatory is just burning cash.

• Hi, I have just moved in into 2 bed + 2 bathroom property with electric under floor heating throughout the whole property and bills are horrendous! In average my smart meter is showing daily charge of £7 a day with only 3 hours heating a day. I would never make the same mistake again and check before moving in. Flat is always cold and VERY expensive to run over winter. In average we use 29kWh !!!!
    I lived within the same building in flat with under gas floor heating and that cost me about £45 monthly all in in winter and £25 in summer.
  • For January (technically 3rd Jan to 4th Feb) for a 3 bedroom/3 storey 2015 new build occupied 24/7 with gas heating/hob, electric elsewhere in the East Midlands. No conservatory, electric car, underfloor heating or anything fancy.

We used 416 units of electricity and 103 units of gas so that's:
    416 kWh electricity at a total (inc VAT+standing charge) of £61.71
    1149 kWh gas at a total of (inc VAT+standing charge) of £48.40

In comparison 8th July to 4th of August:
    367 kWH electricity at a total of: £51.20
    34 kWH gas at a total of: £6.63
  • Mac_13 said:

Hi, I have just moved in into 2 bed + 2 bathroom property with electric under floor heating throughout the whole property and bills are horrendous! In average my smart meter is showing daily charge of £7 a day with only 3 hours heating a day. I would never make the same mistake again and check before moving in. Flat is always cold and VERY expensive to run over winter. In average we use 29kWh !!!!
    I lived within the same building in flat with under gas floor heating and that cost me about £45 monthly all in in winter and £25 in summer.

Your smart meter 'in home display' is incorrect. Bulb's standing charge (at least in the East Midlands) is 20.44p (that's PENCE) per day for each utility (so just under 41p per day total). I would take some actual readings from the physical meter and work out the usage yourself.

That's one of the really big problems with SMETS1 (old/current generation) smart meters - as soon as you switch to any other provider, they not only stop reporting the usage to your supplier, the in-home display starts showing no or, even worse, incorrect information (whether this is deliberately done by the previous supplier to tempt you back is a thought exercise for the reader).
  • Thanks, it does seem as though by UFH is eating up a lot of electricity during the winter period. I have changed the settings to hopefully lower this and will compare it to my Feb bill