Advert on the telly! — Bulb Community

Advert on the telly!

Just seen my first telly advert for bulb on Film4 2 minutes ago!

Comments

• They're pretty good aren't they, I saw them at 8:20pm on ITV2 on Friday and saturday too.

Really simple clean adverts
  • edited February 5
    I was just about to make a post about them as they popped up on my YouTube feed (I don't have a TV). They gave me a good chuckle.

For anyone who hasn't seen them, here's the list:
    Bulb TV ad February 2019 - 'the fastest growing energy company'

Bulb TV ad February 2019 - 'the biggest green energy company'

Bulb TV ad February 2019: 'the really recommended energy company'
  • Cheers for sharing @mowcius - which is your favourite community members? Mine's the Unicorn one.
  • edited February 5
    @Bill at Bulb, same here, followed by the kelp one.

Not sure how a fridge would try Bulb...
  • Cheers for sharing @mowcius - which is your favourite community members? Mine's the Unicorn one.

Got to be the unicorn one.

I wondered where that first one was going when he says "I wonder if they're growing as fast as my giant ..." whilst reaching down ...
  • Hooloovoo said:

I wondered where that first one was going when he says "I wonder if they're growing as fast as my giant ..." whilst reaching down ...

I think your dirty mind just needs a good wash :grin:

• edited February 5
    I need to watch that unicorn one.
  • They're all good, and I'd agree with the consensus so far that in order of merit it's unicorn, kelp and fridge.
  • mowcius said:

Hooloovoo said:

I think your dirty mind just needs a good wash :grin:
    True enough :)

They're good in that they're funny. Not sure they really "sell" the Bulb brand in any way? Perhaps the aim is just to get the name better known.
  • Unicorn, fridge, kelp.
  • Hooloovoo said:

Not sure they really "sell" the Bulb brand in any way? Perhaps the aim is just to get the name better known.

I assume that's the aim at present.
    I'd expect in time to see, for example, the benefits of the Vari-Fair tariff over the Big Six's expensive default SVRs.
  • The unicorn one was definitely my favourite.

That's a weird coincidence, as of writing this comment I've just seen the advert on the telly on sky one.

Compared to the others not a fan :P
  • Hooloovoo said:

They're good in that they're funny. Not sure they really "sell" the Bulb brand in any way? Perhaps the aim is just to get the name better known.

Exactly. Good marketing is often not to tell someone about your product or service directly, just tell them enough to get them interested or intrigued enough to think about it later or to go and look it up.

I think they're very good as energy company adverts go. No bashing other companies about pricing or the greenness of power, just a bit of humour and a frendly nudge.
  • What I want to know from Bulb is who did the voices (was it in house?) and who was the inspiration for each character? :grin:
  • @Clem at Bulb has been working on our telly adverts. She'll be able to tell you a bit more about the creative decisions.
  • It was the fan one that I saw.

But.

My favourite one is..

UNICORN.
  • Good ads...BUT......Bulb always told me that the referral payments came from their advertising budget, which was word of mouth, not commercial television (which I am sure are not cheap to make/run) I am starting to worry that this is the start of Bulb getting too big, too fast. I came to Bulb after GB Energy took on too many customers and failed, I do not want to end up in the same boat again. I also read that Bulb have started to install smart meters, and that they want to be at the forefront of low energy usage......

Can Bulb reassure me that adequate controls are in place to avoid taking on too many customers too quickly, what will happen to referrals now you are spending a great deal on television advertising and will your smart meter rollout enable you to unleash time of day billing (blatant rip off) on us all?!
  • As with any company they can always tell you what you may want to hear so one has to make their own mind up.
    Have a listen to this which does cover some of your questions:

Radio 4's "You and Yours" visit Bulb's offices - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0002cfs
    Just over 6 minutes - starting from just before 18 minutes in.
  • scudo said:

As with any company they can always tell you what you may want to hear so one has to make their own mind up.
    Have a listen to this which does cover some of your questions:

Radio 4's "You and Yours" visit Bulb's offices - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0002cfs

Very interesting and educational. Let's hope the confidence is not misplaced and the growth continues.
  • edited February 9
    macladd said:

Can Bulb reassure me that adequate controls are in place to avoid taking on too many customers too quickly

They've already grown by around 700 thousand members in the last year so I suspect they can probably handle sizeable growth if it comes from these TV adverts.

IIRC, TV advert spots tend to come in at around £10k each so it's not going to be an insignificant cost in total, but that's only the cost of 100 standard referrals per broadcast advert.
  • edited February 9
    scudo said:

There's an echo in here...! ;)
    https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/9069/bulb-on-the-radio#latest
  • Well it is easier than thinking up my own answer :)