Android app doesn't use the phone's camera to capture meter readings. Why not? — Bulb Community

Android app doesn't use the phone's camera to capture meter readings. Why not?

I absolutely love Bulb, everything about them but I have a minor gripe and its with the Android version of their mobile app.

I used to own an iPhone and the app would use the phone's camera to capture the meter reading, really making my life easier. I literally just point it at my meter and I don't have to lift a finger and my readings are done. However, I've just switched phones and I now use a Google Pixel 3, so this morning I decided to take my meter readings to find that I had to input the reading manually. I couldn't use the phone's camera to take the reading.

This is a general gripe but why don't businesses make apps identical for both iOS and Android platforms? I work in the website and app industry so I know it can be done.

Please add this camera meter reading feature to the Android app.

#FirstWorldProblems

Comments

• @EGR103, I suspect it may be down to what OCR libraries are available for IOS and Android apps (presming it's doing OCR on the phone).

With smart meters incoming, I doubt that any further development on the apps for dumb meters is likely to come any time soon.

I'm hoping for a general app overhall when the rollout is in full swing as it's not really set up for such regular readings and multi-rate tariffs right now.
  • I posted about this a while ago. I have the same problem with my iPhone. I didn't get any solution. It still doesn't work.