vari fair — Bulb Community

vari fair

I have just joined after Martin Lewis recommended you, but have discovered I am on vari fair which means you can change my direct debit amount
I thought I was signing up to a set price per month for the year. Is there anyway I can change my vari fair to a set price?
I tried using the complaints email you put in your contract, but this email is no longer valid.
thanks

Comments

• edited February 5
    It's a variable tariff, in that the prices are not fixed for 12/24 months etc.

Your direct debit will stay the same throughout the year (maybe higher in your first winter?), unless you use way more or less than estimated at sign up..
  • Hi @Bdar,

As just another customer (i.e. I do not represent Bulb in anyway), I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad first impression, but just to answer a few things:

> I am on vari fair which means you can change my direct debit amount

Bulb's 'Vari-Fair' tarif is a variable rate tariff which means it the prices are not fixed. Therefore if energy prices go up, the price of the tariff goes up (but Bulb do give people 60 days notice - that's double the regulations - AND there is no minimum term AND they have no exit fees, so you are free to pick another supplier at any time you want without cost) - see https://bulb.co.uk/tariff/

However, for customer simplicity, they prefer to have direct debits on 'fixed' monthly amount so you don't get 'bill shock' during the winter (i.e. they work out, on average, how much you would spend over a year, divide that by 12 and then set your monthly direct debit to that: it does mean during the summer you are 'over paying' for usage in those month, but that is then offset by 'under paying' during the winter months when you use more power). You are free to change this direct debit amount at any time from your Bulb Account (you can set it as low as £5 and as high as... actually, I don't know what the maximum limit is). As long as you've got enough funds in your Bulb account to cover next month's expect bill, Bulb don't care.

> I thought I was signing up to a set price per month for the year.

Where/how did you get this impression?

> Is there anyway I can change my vari fair to a set price?

Bulb do not have a fixed rate tariff which locks you in. They only have the one tariff (okay, technically, they have a tariff for 'single rate' meters, a tariff for 'Economy 7' meters, an optional 'smart meter' tariff, then those 3 again for pre-payment customers and then all those tariffs vary slightly per region due to wholesale distribution costs, but either way, you've can only really pick 'one' tariff).

> I tried using the complaints email you put in your contract, but this email is no longer valid.

If you are unhappy with Bulb, you are free to switch away at any time without any sort of penalty.

However, if you are unhappy, you should contact customer services in the first instance to help (see https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001240291-How-can-I-get-in-touch-with-Bulb- for their phone number and help@bulb.co.uk email address and their live support options). If you are unhappy about the response, then feel free to escalate it to complaint as per the complaints procedure at https://bulb.co.uk/complaints/ .

You say the 'email is no longer valid': what message do you get when you email them (and which email address did you send it to?)