Resetting payments? — Bulb Community

Resetting payments?

About a week or so ago I knew I wasn’t going to have enough for the energy and gas this month. Luckily there was over £100 in credit in my bulb account- so I happily set my payment to only £20 and changed it to the 28th, so I wouldn’t have to worry about money coming out my account for it before next payday. Regardless of changing this and even getting a confirmation email to say I will not be billed in to the 28th, I have woken up to them taking £64 out my bank account. Anyway I can get this refunded? Or I’m about to go overdrawn and probably have to take a credit card out.

Comments

• edited February 6

-
  • edited February 6

About a week or so ago I knew I wasn’t going to have enough for the energy and gas this month. Luckily there was over £100 in credit in my bulb account- so I happily set my payment to only £20 and changed it to the 28th, so I wouldn’t have to worry about money coming out my account for it before next payday. Regardless of changing this and even getting a confirmation email to say I will not be billed in to the 28th, I have woken up to them taking £64 out my bank account.

What date did you change the payment, and what date was the payment going to be taken? Direct debits are very slow and are initiated around 10 days in advance. So if you changed the payment date closer than this to when it was due, then it was already too late and wouldn't take effect until the next month.

Anyway I can get this refunded? Or I’m about to go overdrawn and probably have to take a credit card out.

You'll have to contact Bulb directly via private communication, rather than using the forum. The contact details are available on your statements and in the help pages linked above.

Bulb will be able to refund some of your credit, assuming you still have sufficient credit to remain at least one month in advance. Even then, it will take a week or so to come through to your account. If you want to get the money back more quickly (i.e. today) you can contact your bank and make a claim against the direct debit guarantee. Bear in mind that Bulb may or may not make a charge when they get the funds pulled back due to a returned direct debit.

As to taking out a credit card, you should always have at least one credit card available that you use and pay off in full each month to avoid interest charges. This is a good way to show responsible use of credit, and ensure you have a perfect credit history ready for whenever you should need it. It's probably too late to apply for a card now though. That'll probably take at least two weeks to process, setup, and deliver the card, from any bank. You write "probably have to take out a credit card" as if this is a negative thing, when responsible use of credit cards is anything but negative. Whilst we're talking finance, at least two current accounts with different banks is also a good idea, even essential, to ensure you can obtain some emergency funds and don't get stuck when one bank has IT problems. Sorry if this is unwanted advice.
  • Thank you for your detailed and helpful response. I have been in touch with bulb via phone and it should be being refunded