Worried about high daily usage — Bulb Community

Worried about high daily usage

We are on economy 7 only for storage heaters and are using 3.50 a day including standing charge we have a 2 bedroom retirement flat we only heat liveing room also there is a community laundry room with dryer I need to cut my bill should we go on single tariff and get rid of storage heaters
.any advice welcome

Comments

• Sarah24 said:

We are on economy 7 only for storage heaters and are using 3.50 a day including standing charge we have a 2 bedroom retirement flat we only heat liveing room also there is a community laundry room with dryer I need to cut my bill should we go on single tariff and get rid of storage heaters
    .any advice welcome

• Installing gas central heating would almost certainly be cheaper to run than electric storage heaters. However, the cost of the installation could be large depending on the work and redecoration required and so you would need to consider this against the future running costs.

If you don't have a gas supply, or prefer to avoid gas for environmental reasons, then there are alternative forms of electric heating such as air-source heat-pumps that could work out cheaper than running storage heaters. However this depends highly on the nature of the property, the level of insulation you have, plus a bunch of other variables. Basically it's impossible for anyone to say from the information you have given, and even with more information would be difficult without a thorough property survey.
  • Hooloovoo said:

Installing gas central heating would almost certainly be cheaper to run than electric storage heaters. However, the cost of the installation could be large depending on the work and redecoration required and so you would need to consider this against the future running costs.

If you don't have a gas supply, or prefer to avoid gas for environmental reasons, then there are alternative forms of electric heating such as air-source heat-pumps that could work out cheaper than running storage heaters. However this depends highly on the nature of the property, the level of insulation you have, plus a bunch of other variables. Basically it's impossible for anyone to say from the information you have given, and even with more information would be difficult without a thorough property survey.

The work involved will be a lot. Its a flat, is there even gas to the building?
  • The work involved will be a lot. Its a flat, is there even gas to the building?

I believe I made both those points?
  • edited February 7
    Firstly, ensure your storage heaters are set up correctly and are switching on and off at the right times.

Then maybe consider having the storage heaters on for less time each day.

As it's likely unrealistic to either get gas installed, or stick a gas boiler and central heating somewhere, you're probably on the cheapest setup at present.

If your flat is not particularly warm, and you're also spending that much on energy, I'd recommend investigating where you're losing most of your heat to and whether there's anything you can do to improve that (draught strip on doors, sealing around windows/skirting, lined curtains etc.).