Different company name! — Bulb Community

Different company name!

Just looked at my old account with previous provider, and they said I was now signed up to Regent Power, they have offered me a cheaper rate and it's not too late to go back to them, I just click the button. After people saying large amounts were being taken by Bulb I don't think I can trust them, any suggestions?

Comments

• edited February 7

Just looked at my old account with previous provider, and they said I was now signed up to Regent Power, they have offered me a cheaper rate and it's not too late to go back to them, I just click the button. After people saying large amounts were being taken by Bulb I don't think I can trust them, any suggestions?

Yes, people who do the complaining should take a little time to understand how Bulb or nearly any other energy supplier works with regards to bills etc

With Bulb you are in complete control of your direct debit payments as long as you pay one month in advance for your energy use and most importantly make sure you ideally submit monthly meters reading so that your actual bill is accurate.

I hadn't heard of Regent Power until you mentioned it, but a quick Google came up with from a previous discussion on this forum which in essence said that Regent power was the name of Bulb's energy supply license way back before they had even started to supply members. See the discussion at: https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/435/is-bulb-linked-to-regent-power-ltd
  • @Karting_champ8722, have you actually compared the unit rates and standing charges to see who's cheaper?

Energy companies will say whatever they think you want to hear - the only way to properly compare is to look at the unit figures.
  • I agree with @mowcius - compare the unit and standing charge rates: nothing else. We had a sales person from Octopus come round last week trying to convince me to switch to them - 'Bulb only have 1 tariff, we have many' - and that's a good thing why? 'We can offer you a 2 year fixed tariff! We can save you money even compared to Bulb!' - I asked him for a quote and he came back with a price saying 'See - we save you money' - I then pressed him for the actual unit costs to compare and they were pricier (apart from Gas which was about 0.03p cheaper but we don't use that much) and then asked how if their unit prices were higher, how could they be cheaper?... An answer came none [spoiler: he adjusted the figures I told him: watched him 'accidentally' key in the wrong digits]... He continued 'But Bulb could increase prices, with our 2 year fixed you don't need to worry about that' - so... I agree to pay knowingly and proven higher prices for two years instead of staying with Bulb who (fingers crossed) will have a price drop shortly...

Yeah, I'm staying with Bulb.
  • RichyB said:

He continued 'But Bulb could increase prices, with our 2 year fixed you don't need to worry about that' - so... I agree to pay knowingly and proven higher prices for two years instead of staying with Bulb who (fingers crossed) will have a price drop shortly...

This is the same with fixed rate anything. Energy supplies, mortgages, etc. Going with a fix for anything is always a gamble (i.e., fingers crossed) on whether you think the market is going up or down. There's nothing wrong with that per se. Many people put value on the peace of mind knowing their payments aren't going to get hiked.
  • After people saying large amounts were being taken by Bulb I don't think I can trust them, any suggestions?

In addition to what others have said the `large amounts` are likely a request for a suggested increase in DD payments which if you are paying your 1 month in advance you can adjust it to suit, also from a social responsibility point they have to attempt to stop customers getting in to debt so will suggest increases in their payments.

I am also staying with Bulb.
  • RichyB said:

I agree with @mowcius - compare the unit and standing charge rates: nothing else. We had a sales person from Octopus come round last week trying to convince me to switch to them - 'Bulb only have 1 tariff, we have many' - and that's a good thing why? 'We can offer you a 2 year fixed tariff! We can save you money even compared to Bulb!' - I asked him for a quote and he came back with a price saying 'See - we save you money' - I then pressed him for the actual unit costs to compare and they were pricier (apart from Gas which was about 0.03p cheaper but we don't use that much) and then asked how if their unit prices were higher, how could they be cheaper?... An answer came none [spoiler: he adjusted the figures I told him: watched him 'accidentally' key in the wrong digits]... He continued 'But Bulb could increase prices, with our 2 year fixed you don't need to worry about that' - so... I agree to pay knowingly and proven higher prices for two years instead of staying with Bulb who (fingers crossed) will have a price drop shortly...

Yeah, I'm staying with Bulb.

They have a nice tariff available for anyone with both an EV + Home battery though :#