I can't figure out which light bulb to buy, please help — Bulb Community

I can't figure out which light bulb to buy, please help

edited February 11 in Everything but Bulb
Hello everyone,,
I have a lamp that has a normal light bulb socket, and a small light bulb socket. On the lamp next to the small socket it says "Bulb Type R14". I googled a bit, and it said the number indicates the size of free netflix the base. So I was like okay cool. I bought an R14 bulb on amazon. The tech news R14 fits into normal sockets but does not fit into my little socket. How do I find a bulb that does fit?

Comments

• edited February 8
    There are two types of "normal light bulb socket". These are bayonet cap, and Edison screw.

It doesn't sound like your light fitting is either of these. Could you post a photo?
  • Hooloovoo said:

There are two types of "normal light bulb socket". These are bayonet cap, and Edison screw.

It doesn't sound like your light fitting is either of these. Could you post a photo?

I have a bedside light that has a thin fitting, it's basically a small slot. Totally different to the edison screw or bayonet. Similar to car lighbulb fitting.
  • edited February 8

I have a bedside light that has a thin fitting

That I think is T10 same as the one used in most vacuum cleaners but is 12v.
  • Hooloovoo said:

I have a bedside light that has a thin fitting, it's basically a small slot. Totally different to the edison screw or bayonet. Similar to car lighbulb fitting.
    At no point did I claim there were only two types of fitting and no others. What's your point?

I was simply pointing out there are two main types of "normal" referred to in the OP.
  • Hello everyone,,
    I have a lamp that has a normal light bulb socket, and a small light bulb socket. On the lamp next to the small socket it says "Bulb Type R14". I googled a bit, and it said the number indicates the size of the base. So I was like okay cool. I bought an R14 bulb on amazon. The R14 fits into normal sockets but does not fit into my little socket. How do I find a bulb that does fit?

R in lamps (bulbs) refers to the reflective nature of them rather than a fitting type/size. The "14", refers to the size of the lamp itself (approximately 45mm)
    If it's a screw type fitting, it's probably an E17.

What you purchased (presuming it's also a screw type), was likely an E27. The "E" referring to Edison Screw, and the number referring to the diameter of the screw fitting.

I'd recommend perhaps taking the whole item with you to IKEA and buying whatever fits that you like the look of. They do some quite nice E17 lamps with good colour rendering and temperatures.