Smart Meter — Bulb Community

Smart Meter

Does anyone know if the smart meters for gas being rolled out by Bulb are Ultrasonic or diaphragm based? Also is there a download available of the manual for the user display unit?
Thanks

Comments

• @mowcius said here:
    mowcius said:

To update this, the smart meters to be supplied by Bulb are the EDMI ES-10A with either an EDMI or Toshiba(/WNC) communications hub attached on top, and a Landis+Gyr G470 for gas.

The IHDs are Chameleon IHD3-PPMID units. Colour block LCD units.

I can't seem to find the G470 on the Landis+Gyr website, but the G370 was ultrasonic so I'd expect the G470 to be as well. This website says the G470-672 is ultrasonic. @mowcius do you know the exact model number?

The IHD is here, but there's no much in the way of downloads. OVO have some info. The PPMID is similar to my black and white IHD3-MS and I have to say it's a pretty terrible user interface.
  • Thanks for the information, I have to say I feel a bit like a mushroom regarding making a decision about getting a smart meter installed. Why the companies can’t give us more information is beyond me. Is there anybody out there that has the latest colour IHD and can comment on its usefulness?
    Thanks
  • edited February 8
    @Hooloovoo, The G470-672 is indeed what I have and it is ultrasonic. It's basically the same as the G370 as far as I can tell but certified for SMETS2.

@Jim1000, which "latest colour IHD" are you referring to?

The one that Bulb supplies tells you your daily, weekly, monthly and yearly spending, as well as your electricity usage (and cost per hour at that rate).

You can step back days/weeks/months to see historical usage (in £ and kWh).

You can set daily/weekly/monthly gas and electricity budgets, and it will tell you via the circular bars how close you are to that when you browse through your daily/weekly/monthly usage figures.

I can't say I find the user interface that bad - it's quite simple and seems pretty logical to me.

It's also got an internal rechargeable battery (not sure how long it lasts) so you can carry it elsewhere and monitor it wherever you are (within relatively close proximity to your electric meter) and charges via Micro USB (5V 500mA), so if you've got USB power sockets you won't need to take up a 13A socket with the supplied charger (although you will need to supply your own USB cable as the included one is fixed).
  • Thanks for that information, setting a budget is definitely something useful to have, feel a bit more reassured about getting it fitted now, many thanks all