smart meter pricing — Bulb Community

smart meter pricing

Hi, just moved over to you from EON, we have a new smart meter fitted a short while ago by them. the issue I have is that the indoor display is not showing the cost per unit, do I have to do that myself and if so how? I assume that you are able to access my readings automatically

Comments

• @driver906, your Smart Meter(s) will need to be read manually for the time being and then in home display cannot be trusted for accurate readings.
    There is a possibility that the smart meter can be read by Bulb right now but it won't be automatic and you'll need to contact them to confirm. Until them, assume it's not operating in a smart manner.

See: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001232092-Can-I-switch-to-Bulb-with-a-smart-meter-
  • edited February 9
    driver906 said:

I assume that you are able to access my readings automatically

Unfortunately you assume wrong. It's well known and well publicised in the media that due to software problems the current "SMETS1" generation of smart meters "go dumb" when switching supplier. You'll now need to start submitting readings manually again.

Your In Home Display (IHD) will now start showing incorrect costs because, as you have found, it no longer knows your correct tariff.

The smart meters currently being installed by Bulb are "SMETS2" which will continue to be smart when switching supplier. Older SMETS1 meters will be enrolled in the new DDC data network over the course of this year, and so your meter should regain it's smart features at some point. If that proves to be impossible for your particular meter, then Bulb will be able to replace your meters (again) with new SMETS2 meters.
  • thanks for that but I believe mine is a smet2 version if that makes any difference
  • Do you know the model number of the in home display E.ON provided you?
  • driver906 said:

thanks for that but I believe mine is a smet2 version if that makes any difference

Could you provide the model number of the meters you have installed? The model of the IHD is irrelevant.
  • I could tell if it’s SMETS1 or SMETS2 with the model number of the IHD.
  • its the following: Landis GYR E470 type 5394. googling it it seems to be a SMETS2
  • If the display is an IHD3-PPMID then 100% it is a SMETS2 installation. Which would mean that Bulb should be able to track your meters and enable the correct tariff on them so that your IHD works correctly. It may just take a little while for the system to catch up. Worth a quick call to them.
  • I have a smart meter iinstalled by previous supplier. Do you supply an app for my iPhone?
  • edited February 10
    @S1KD_01, there's an app for Bulb in general but nothing smart meter specific.
    ACGTS98 said:

If the display is an IHD3-PPMID then 100% it is a SMETS2 installation. Which would mean that Bulb should be able to track your meters and enable the correct tariff on them so that your IHD works correctly. It may just take a little while for the system to catch up. Worth a quick call to them.

Are you sure about that? The IHD3-PPMID is 2.4GHz only and Chameleon state that "Chameleon's IHDs are fully compliant with SMETS1 and SMETS2"
  • Yep 100% sure, the IHD3-PPMID is a SMETS2 device, the IHD3-MS, IHD2-TS and IHD3-CAD device are SMETS1 devices.
  • edited February 10
    Are they (SE1.4(?)/SMETS2 devices) not backwards compatible in any way?

(I've been struggling to find information on the SE protocol and whether or not things like backwards compatibility are required)

I understand the IHD3-PPMID conforms to SE1.4 (based on the Zigbee certification documents).
  • The IHD3-PPMID is not currently backward compatible to SMETS1.

To have a backward compatible device you would need to stitch together firmware that communicates to each individual meter set and SMSO offered within SMETS1.

I expect this to happen at some point as it makes sense to offer a single device (although there are notification issues in doing so) however it’s not offered quite yet.
  • In terms of SE 1.4, GBCS calls for all devices installed to be compliant from October 2019 I believe.

I suspect the devices Bulb installs will be using 1.4 from very early in their installs but they’d have to confirm that.
  • The Bulb installs have all been SMETS2 with the IHD3-PPMID so should all be running SE1.4 HANs
  • edited February 13
    This is all interesting info. I asked a question in another thread about whether it was worth trying to get my meters updated, even though they are Bulb-readable SMETS1. I think based on the SE1.4 differences and the fact that the gas meter is ultrasonic means that, yes, I'd quite like to get them replaced at some point.

That is unless when the electric meter is enrolled in the DCC the firmware upgrade also includes SE1.4.
  • Hooloovoo said:

That is unless when the electric meter is enrolled in the DCC the firmware upgrade also includes SE1.4.

It appears to just be a check of device security and then an update to the SIM profile (bottom two sections of this document).

No actual software upgrades to the meters themselves.
  • mowcius said:

No actual software upgrades to the meters themselves.

Boo.

Well I've got a note of all the firmware revisions so I'll be able to check if anything changes. I had assumed there must be some firmware changes, given the issues we've had you'll remember where my meter was readable but the same meter with a different firmware revision was not.
  • It also sounds like if you've switched suppliers and the new supplier has not taken on the contract to communicate with the device, it may just need replacing (or maybe I'm just reading this wrong):
    Adoption of SMETS1 meters takes place when the contracts that energy suppliers have already established to communicate with these meters are transferred to DCC.
    Or maybe the contracts are transferred by all energy companies at the same time?
  • @Hooloovoo, you might find this interesting: http://www.nickhunn.com/smart-meter-update/

Upgrades may happen in some manner, but that discusses some reasons why they may not, even in the future with the new SMETS2 meters.
  • My guess is that any upgrade applied when meters are enrolled into the DCC will change not change the zigbee profile.

In a lot of cases I doubt the SOC would be capable of running 1.4.

There are a few suppliers that are switching out SMETS1 for SMETS2, in particular if there is a problem with the meter or if the customer has a secure meter set (it seems the rentals on Secure metersets may be quite high).

SMETS2 OTA upgrades are happening for the meters and comms hubs, although admittedly not in large scale numbers as suggested may be an issue in that article, but it is something that has been tested and seems to be working. Apart from on the IHD where there is no OTA facility for the IHD in SMETS2 which seems a bit of a miss!
  • ACGTS98 said:

SMETS2 OTA upgrades are happening for the meters and comms hubs, although admittedly not in large scale numbers as suggested may be an issue in that article, but it is something that has been tested and seems to be working. Apart from on the IHD where there is no OTA facility for the IHD in SMETS2 which seems a bit of a miss!

I guess they expect that IHDs will be the same consumable devices as every other bit of electronics around these days. Suppliers will likely just offer new versions to their customers in the future at a small cost.

I wonder how good the charging circuitry in the devices is and whether the Li-ion batteries will start pushing the cases apart in a few years of being charged constantly (as you see with demo devices in technology stores all the time).

• You would expect to see enhanced offerings from both energy retailers and other sources in the future once customer engagement in their energy/ environmental costs increase. Whether that be additional functionality within IHD's or through other devices connecting to the HAN and providing energy data I guess we'll have to wait and see what the market calls for.
  • I'm interested to know who the first DCC users are that are not energy suppliers.

Possibly comparison companies?
  • Possibly but i’d guess it’s more likely to be hardware manufacturers that want to add their products to the HAN.
  • ACGTS98 said:

Possibly but i’d guess it’s more likely to be hardware manufacturers that want to add their products to the HAN.

Hmm, I guess so but I can't say I'd want to give access to my smart meter data to the manufacturer of my CAD.
  • Personal choice I guess, depends on what service giving access to data enables. A bit like any other data consents, it’s a case of what you get for what you give.
  • Please how do I switch to bulb energy?
  • Please how do I switch to bulb energy?

Click the "Get a quote" button at the top of this page.