Warm Home Discount: An experience of obtaining it for a prepayment meter — Bulb Community

Warm Home Discount: An experience of obtaining it for a prepayment meter

HI,
I have a prepayment meter and have been awarded the Warm Home Discount. This is great btw.

However the experience of trying to obtain it after receiving the email with it's code not so much. Firstly I will say I am lucky as I live in a city so have multiple PayPoint outlets to choose from. However I found myself going on a trek from shop to shop until I found one able to issue it. The reason given each time was the "new machines limit the payout to £50" as opposed to the £140. Some shops had less PayPoint knowledge than others so would just say they've never heard of Bulb and to "jog on" in not so nice language while others tried phoning PayPoint support, but each time were on hold for so long that we all gave up. The resolution was finding a shop with an "old machine" as they do not seem to have the £50 limit.

Just thought I would post this here in case anyone else had similar issues.

For reference the new machines look like:

While the old machines look like:

Comments

• So with the new machines, could you retrieve it in smaller amounts over multiple days, or are you a bit stuck?
  • mowcius said:

So with the new machines, could you retrieve it in smaller amounts over multiple days, or are you a bit stuck?

To be clear I was able to get mine issued by going to a shop with an older paypoint machine. The shop with the older machine did it without any issue and they confirmed that they had served several people with different energy companies citing the same experience of being told that the new machines are locked to a maximum of £50.

I was told in several shops that they cannot issue the £140 unless it is in full. So they couldn't reload the card 3 times in a row and you couldn't make 3 return trips between the shop and your meter. I think they said that amounts over £50 were greyed out and unselectable on the screen.

However I do not work for bulb or for PayPoint. This is only my experience of what I have been told whilst in various local shops it could just be a lack of training and understanding on how to operate the newer machines. Although to be repeatedly told the same thing in different shops suggested to me that this might be something that other people might have been experiencing too and I thought sharing it here might give people a solution if they were experiencing difficulty. I also thought that if this was an actual problem then companies like bulb need to rethink how they issue the Warm Home Discount for future times e.g. issuing multiple codes with a maximum of £50 each.
  • Are the shop getting confused with adding the £140 as a credit? as I didn't say what it was for I just gave my reference number to the local shop and showed them instructions, something along the lines of "new issue" then option 3 to add the TAG code and it automatically credits the key, but the receipt will show 0.00 but show that the RTI has been added.

• Gave over a printed out copy of the bulb notification email with the code on each time. No idea what the several shops with newer machines were selecting on their screens. Although some of the shops having PayPoint was a recently new and some others had their PayPoint terminals upgraded (so referred to how it "used to work").