I have a question about mercury bulbs — Bulb Community

I have a question about mercury bulbs

edited February 18 in Everything but Bulb
Hello everyone,
it seems like all you have to do to produce a 'germicidal lamp' with UV rays is to break the outer shell on any mercury vapor lamp.

So, why then is Amazon selling xxxxx 10w germicidal lamps for $10, 38w germicidal lamps for $39, but I can buy a 1000w mercury vapor bulb for $12 and just break it's outer shell and xxxxx Lucky Patcher have something 25x more power at half the cost?

Are people just stupid and paying xxxxxxx way way way too much for "germicidal" lamps that are just mercury vapor bulbs without the protective UV coating?

Or do the 'germicidal lamps' have something extra that this 1000w bulb doesn't?

Comments

• Hi Nigan
    This seems quite a random question, but I suspect you've found this forum from Bulb thinking it might have the answers for your light bulb related question. Actually Bulb (the company) is a UK energy supplier and this forum is for their customers, so it's unlikely you'll get an answer to your question - well not a sensible one anyway!
    Anyway, nice to hear from you - I'm now wondering what a germicidal lamp is :-)
  • Nigan said:

it seems like all you have to do

As @KimB has said, I'm afraid you're on completely the wrong forum. Whilst the site is called "Bulb", even the most basic cursory glance over the content would have made it clear to you that this is a UK energy supplier.
    KimB said:

I'm now wondering what a germicidal lamp is :-)

I'll continue the trend for posting Big Clive's excellent videos - Awesome flesh-burning death lamp. (Germicidal UV)

• @Hooloovoo, I think you may have been tricked by some clever spam.

A cursory glance at the links and (safely) opening one of them gives a nice clue.
  • mowcius said:

@Hooloovoo, I think you may have been tricked by some clever spam.

Ah balls. I didn't actually look at any of the links.

Oh well, good excuse for an entertaining Big Clive video anyway.
  • I've flagged both their threads as spam, as I'm sure you already have @mowcius.
  • Hooloovoo said:

I've flagged both their threads as spam, as I'm sure you already have @mowcius.

I have, and also the similar ones I fell for the other day.