53% of the UK’s electricity was produced by low carbon sources in 2018 — Bulb Community

53% of the UK’s electricity was produced by low carbon sources in 2018

A quarterly report commissioned by Drax power found that 53% of the UK’s electricity was produced by low carbon sources including renewable generation in 2018. This is an increase of 3% from 2017.

Wind generation had a particularly successful year. For a half hour period on December 18th, wind power made up 48% of total generation. A record level!

You can read more about the record-setting and challenges of renewable energy generation on the Drax website.

By chosing a renewable energy supplier such as Bulb, you're already contributing to increased demand for renewable generation.

But what more should we be doing to reach the Committee on Climate Change’s targets for a greener future?

Comments

• Here's to the next 53%!

:#
  • phproxy said:

Here's to the next 53%!

If i get 106% low carbon electricity, do I need to get special filters for all my appliances or is it something that can be installed in the consumer unit to cover everything?
  • As we're a "net importer of electricity, with 22 TWh brought in from Europe in 2018", I wonder how much of the total was renewable imports rather than renewable generation in the UK.
  • UK Electricity National Grid Demand and Output per Production Type can be monitored in real-time @ gridwatch.co.uk/

Real-time readings stop around 22:00 hours and I don't know what time they restart, though, it's likely to be sometime early morning.
  • anth0ny said:

UK Electricity National Grid Demand and Output per Production Type can be monitored in real-time @ gridwatch.co.uk/

Real-time readings stop around 22:00 hours and I don't know what time they restart, though, it's likely to be sometime early morning.

Also available on sites easier on the eye (imo):
    http://grid.iamkate.com/
    https://www.mygridgb.co.uk/dashboard/