Idea: community fund — Bulb Community

Idea: community fund

(I'm not sure how to add to the trello board - in here?)

In the age of energy poverty, I'd like to be able to donate into a community fund they can be used to help people out of they're struggling to pay their bill.

It could be money that I've overpaid at the end of the year (up to a limit), or Monzo-style roundups, where my monthly payment is rounded up and the extra pounds and pence get dropped into the pot.

This feels like a great community, and supporting each other should be part of that.

Comments

• In principle I agree but how do you determine who to help as it is open to misuse, in days gone past I had small businesses that wouldn't pay say an £800 bill and the very next week they were off to the Caribbean sunning themselves, then came back and complained about their supplies being stopped.
    Some of us last year did try and help out one customer but in the end Bulb resolved their issue.
  • Yeah good shout. I suppose bulb would need to be the arbiter, but it would be open to abuse.
    Perhaps not (only) people who can't afford bills then, but renewables investment, helping projects, fuel poverty charities?
  • Thanks @Phedro

Yes, pop your ideas on Community and we can add them to the Open Road Map :)

This is the first year that we have offered the Warm Home Discount.This means we provide £140 credit towards electricity or gas bills for the households that need it most.

Now this is up and running, we can start thinking about how we can go further to help members who need it the most.

I've popped your idea on the map. Thanks for sharing!
  • Thanks @Phedro

Yes, pop your ideas on Community and we can add them to the Open Road Map :)

This is the first year that we have offered the Warm Home Discount.This means we provide £140 credit towards electricity or gas bills for the households that need it most.

Now this is up and running, we can start thinking about how we can go further to help members who need it the most.

I've popped your idea on the map. Thanks for sharing!

How about a community fund to help subsidise domestic solar panel installations, then siphon off the percentage of investment until its paid off again. So if the community paid £3k of the £10k of an installation, so 30% of generated electricity payments are put back into the fund.
  • That's been put on the Open Road Map. Thanks for the suggestion @FromTheValleys :)

• edited February 27

How about a community fund to help subsidise domestic solar panel installations, then siphon off the percentage of investment until its paid off again. So if the community paid £3k of the £10k of an installation, so 30% of generated electricity payments are put back into the fund.

Where you do you invisage that this community fund would be topped up from?
  • mowcius said:

Where you do you invisage that this community fund would be topped up from?
    I'd happily put in some money, if everyone did the same it would be a large chunk of money, the investments will pay for themselves. Once generation has occurred its an investment and can be repaid back (more than what was originally put in) it'll be a snowball type idea. Would work like a credit union. (it's where I got the idea from)
  • @mowcius also it was an idea just to bounce off the wall. viable schemes have to start somewhere, and in refining the idea it becomes viable.
  • Oh I get that, but I was just wondering where personally you invisaged that the money would come from.

Perhaps a community fund where everyone who contributes some (a percentage or a round-up from their monthly bills perhaps) is an investor in the projects and will get a percentage of the profits (presuming all goes to plan).
  • mowcius said:

Oh I get that, but I was just wondering where personally you invisaged that the money would come from.

Perhaps a community fund where everyone who contributes some (a percentage or a round-up from their monthly bills perhaps) is an investor in the projects and will get a percentage of the profits (presuming all goes to plan).

I invisaged on members optionally donating to the fund. I'd chuck some money in. But I like your idea of topping up from bills.