Electric Vehicle smart charging (Bulb Labs) — Bulb Community

Electric Vehicle smart charging (Bulb Labs)

Bulb recently announced that we are planning a trial with a new generation of electric vehicle (EV) smart chargers in 2020. Smart chargers help you to pay the least amount of money when the grid is the cheapest by remotely controlling your charger - essentially it switches charging on and off in relation to grid conditions (wholesale costs and renewables mix, for example), whilst still ensuring your car has the required charge by the time you need it. We hope this will mean EV drivers can charge their car even more cheaply (and greener) - naturally passing these savings on to you.

We're working with smart meter company EDMI to develop and then trial the next generation of these meters with Bulb members in 2020. You can read more about it on our Blog here. If you have an electric vehicle or are thinking about getting one in the next year and want to register to take part in this trial for 100 households across the UK, you can sign up here. We’d love to hear any thoughts or questions you may have about this technology. We’re still in the early stages and would love to understand our members’ hopes, fears and expectations around it.

Comments

• This sounds interesting. As has been said in the other thread, it would be interesting if you could share any rough ideas of what the tariff might be like, that would be interesting. It sounds like it's going to be highly variable tariff with rates changing frequently? Will you be taking members with solar PV and or home energy storage, or will that complicate the trial too much?
  • This sounds interesting. As has been said in the other thread, it would be interesting if you could share any rough ideas of what the tariff might be like, that would be interesting. It sounds like it's going to be highly variable tariff with rates changing frequently? Will you be taking members with solar PV and or home energy storage, or will that complicate the trial too much?

Hi @MorgenBlue, thank you for your interest! The tariff will be the smart tariff, we will probably not take members with solar panels or home energy storage, it would indeed add too many variables.
  • The tariff will be the smart tariff

If it's just the same smart tariff that I'm on now ... how will it save me any money?
  • edited February 26
    I can understand why they would seperate the tariff from a trial of the technology. It's unfortunate they won't take on members with solar or energy storage though, as I'd of loved to of helped out.
  • I can understand why they would seperate the tariff from a trial of the technology.

Agreed, but there surely must be something in it for the customer otherwise, why bother?
  • Hooloovoo said:

I can understand why they would seperate the tariff from a trial of the technology.

Agreed, but there surely must be something in it for the customer otherwise, why bother?
    I guess they will probably just give people a flat reward for participating.
  • edited March 1
    @MorgenBlue @Hooloovoo There will certainly be a reward for taking part in research activities. We always thank people financially for giving up their time for research. As explained, you will be billed by way if the smart tariff (it is too complicated to set up a new tariff in our billing system for the purposes of a small scale trial). But rest assured, we will be looking to pass the savings we make from charging you at times when the grid is cheapest - onto you. It might be pennies, it might be ££££ - part of the purpose of trial is seeing the scale of savings possible. When we ran the Alpha for the Smart tariff in the summer we calculated a monthly rebate for participants and manually transferred this. Not confirmed - but likely, we will do something similar. If you have solar and battery - do ensure to register with Bulb Labs, as whilst possibly not ideal for this trial, it is likely there are other activities we can get you involved in.
  • Hi. I've just signed up for this about 20 minutes ago. We've a BMW i3 94Ah which we charge overnight. Have you reached your 100 participants yet? Very, very keen to be involved. When will you be contacting people to let them know if they're to be included?
  • Hi @SF1973 ! Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and signing up! We will be contacting people in autumn.