SMART METER REMOVAL — Bulb Community

SMART METER REMOVAL

Hello,
I have the standard V1 smart meter installed for about a year now & I want the SMART meter removed because of health & security resaons.
I have obtained some advise & have been informed that I do not need to have a SMART meter by LAW. It is compleately the customers choice.

Can BULB please confirm as to what is the procedure to have my SMART meter removed or place in into DUMB mode so all the SMART features are disabled.

Thank you.

Comments

• Have you also disabled wifi and removed all mobile phones from your home?

• edited February 27
    volvo said:

I want the SMART meter removed because of health & security resaons.

What would these reasons be, out of interest?
    volvo said:

I have obtained some advise & have been informed that I do not need to have a SMART meter by LAW. It is compleately the customers choice.

You're correct it's the customers choice to have one installed. It's not the customers choice to have one removed once it's already there. I'm sure Bulb can do this for you, but it'll be at the standard £120 meter replacement charge. In any case, soon you'll have no choice regardless of the law purely due to commercial forces resulting in no meter company manufacturing anything other smart meters.
    volvo said:

or place in into DUMB mode so all the SMART features are disabled.

Since your meter was install by a third party before you switched to Bulb, it already is in "dumb mode" and you don't need to do anything.
  • phproxy said:

Have you also disabled wifi and removed all mobile phones from your home?

... and built a Faraday cage around the property to ensure none of those dangerous radio waves from outside penetrate inside.

... and also never go outside during the day and expose yourself to that massive burning radio source in the sky.
  • edited February 27
    [UPDATED]

Hi @volvo, currently all existing SMETS1 smart meters are configured to dumb mode when you switch to Bulb, this means all of your smart features are disabled.

Here at Bulb we strongly believe that smart meters are completely harmless, despite some of the allegations that are thrown around.

However, if you still think that your smart meter is damaging to your health then we would be happy to exchange the meter for you. As part of our policy, we will exchange the meter for free if you supply a personal Doctor's note stating the harm caused.
  • edited February 27

[UPDATED]

as part of our policy at Bulb, we will require a personal Doctor's note stating the harm caused before we can exchange it for free.

:mrgreen:

Oh my.
  • mowcius said:

:mrgreen:

Oh my.

:#

I couldn't think of a polite way of expressing my delight at that response, so in an unusual fit of self-restraint I posted nothing.
  • Sorry for any confusion caused by my original post. There is no law to say you need a doctor's note to have your smart meter removed. It is, however, a policy at Bulb. I have updated my previous comment to reflect this.

We follow Government guidance on the health effects and security of smart meters. We’ve written a help article explaining that smart meters meet strict health and safety standards.

As you say, we can’t force you to have or keep your smart meter. But it costs money to remove a smart meter and we’ve taken the decision not to cover this. If you do have a doctors note, we’ll organise for the meter to be replaced. We charge £120 which is debited from your Bulb account.
  • Sorry for any confusion caused by my original post.

I don't think there was any confusion. Both @mowcius and I were amused by a genius piece of policy. You're not saying no you won't change the meter for free, but require a doctor's note that will be impossible to obtain because it's all nonsense. Brilliant!
  • edited February 28
    Hooloovoo said:

I don't think there was any confusion.

Possibly the confusion was due to the original statement which said "by law......"
  • I’ve never personally seen the reason to own a smart meter. Some people like the ease of not having to gove meter readings etc. I think we are a long way off compulsory
  • Allanr said:

Possibly the confusion was due to the original statement which said "by law......"

Yes, I understand that's what William seemed to think. But where was the confusion? Neither me nor mowcius said we were confused, and no one else posted ...
  • AdamF3 said:

I’ve never personally seen the reason to own a smart meter. Some people like the ease of not having to gove meter readings etc. I think we are a long way off compulsory

The thing is, the meter is owned by the supplier not the customer. And billing arrangements are a commercial decision for the supplier to make. If they want to change the meter, they should be allowed to. I don't see why customers are even being given a choice or having to be "sold" on any benefits of smart meters. If the supplier wants to change the meter that should be up to them. It's their meter, not mine.
  • edited February 28
    Hooloovoo said:

. ...a doctor's note that will be impossible to obtain because it's all nonsense

If I went to my GP saying that my SMART meter was causing me undue concern for 'health and safety reasons' and that I needed a 'note' from him to get the SMART meter removed he would certainly write one.

The OP asked for advise as how to get their SMART meter removed, not attempted belittlement based on assumptions as to why they have those concerns.

Harm isn't always physical!

• anth0ny said:

Very true. If someone is experiencing negative effects due to the concern they have around physically having a smart meter in their house then I'm sure a doctor would write something to that effect to recommend that it's removed.

The human mind is a fickle thing and whether physical harm is being caused directly by the device or not, there is plenty of scope for one to cause harm.

@William at Bulb, I take some issue with the fact that you have amended my post as well as your own when you corrected your mistake. Your following post made it clear that an error was made and now my post does not appear as I originally intended it to.
    In a case where personal information or something offensive has been posted and quoted then fine, edit both, but editing to remove a mistake in a previous post feels a little too close to outright censorship and a slight abuse of power.
  • @mowcius I was under the impression that this forum was for support, though I see in a number of threads what could be described as personal attacks and belittlement in response to original posts. Do you know where I can find reference to the terms & conditions of participation on this forum to refresh my memory?

Thanks!
  • @anth0ny, the general terms are here but Bulb has previously made comment along the lines of their being no specific forum terms and things will be dealt with as and when required.
  • @mowcius ok thanks!

I had some recollection of agreeing to specific forum terms & conditions around not attacking other forum users. I must have imagined it.

All the best!
  • volvo said:

On this note, I wonder whether when an SMETS1 meter is disconnected from the previous supplier it stops hunting for a GSM connection?
    The HAN network radio will likely also remain active (as often the IHD is still connected to the meter even if it no longer functions correctly).

With an SMETS2 meter, as much as you can possibly request to not have it in a smart mode (although I've only heard about the option of once a month automatic readings), it will almost certainly remain connected and communicating with the DCC network to report tampering etc. and enable updates to be sent/received when required/when changing suppliers/tariffs.
  • mowcius said:

volvo said:

On this note, I wonder whether when an SMETS1 meter is disconnected from the previous supplier it stops hunting for a GSM connection?
    The HAN network radio will likely also remain active (as often the IHD is still connected to the meter even if it no longer functions correctly).

With an SMETS2 meter, as much as you can possibly request to not have it in a smart mode (although I've only heard about the option of once a month automatic readings), it will almost certainly remain connected and communicating with the DCC network to report tampering etc. and enable updates to be sent/received when required/when changing suppliers/tariffs.
    I was thinking exactly the same. I very much doubt the communication hubs are ever "off".

In other news, I'm off to get a doctor's note signing me off work for my imaginary symptoms. Although I suspect I'll get referred for psychological help with my fears, which would be the correct and responsible course of action.
  • edited February 28
    Hooloovoo said:

In other news, I'm off to get a doctor's note signing me off work for my imaginary symptoms. Although I suspect I'll get referred for psychological help with my fears, which would be the correct and responsible course of action.

Real talk though - real symptoms often appear from placebos so although there's no scientific basis by which any symptoms would be caused by a smart meter, I imagine some are going to be.

Psychological fears are also very difficult to treat.
  • edited February 28
    mowcius said:

Real talk though - real symptoms often appear from placebos so although there's no scientific basis by which any symptoms would be caused by a smart meter, I imagine some are going to be.

Agreed yes, but there are treatments. Removing the cause of the fear/symptoms is no better than simply telling an agoraphobic to not go out. I'm really struggling with the suggestion that a GP would simply write the requested note and send the patient on their way, thinking no more of it.

Edit to add: I've worked on a research basis with patients suffering electromagnetic hypersensitivity in the past, many years ago.
  • mowcius said:

And also very real to the person experiencing them.

• @Hooloovoo

How have any of your posts assisted the OP in their enquiry?

Inflicting your opinions on others assists no-one ever.

• edited February 28
    anth0ny said:

How have any of your posts assisted the OP in their enquiry?

My first reply to this thread gave a full and complete answer, later confirmed by William, with the addition that Bulb will waive the standard £120 charge if a Doctor's note is provided.

Edit: The second reply by @William at Bulb indicates that the replacement will not be free even with a note. Could you clarify?
  • mowcius said:

@William at Bulb, I take some issue with the fact that you have amended my post as well as your own when you corrected your mistake. Your following post made it clear that an error was made and now my post does not appear as I originally intended it to.
    In a case where personal information or something offensive has been posted and quoted then fine, edit both, but editing to remove a mistake in a previous post feels a little too close to outright censorship and a slight abuse of power.

@mowcius The decision to amend your post was mine. We very rarely amend posts but in this case, I took the decision to because if a member were to skim read through the thread, we do not want them to think there's a law about needing a doctors note. We really don't want to cause any confusion.

However, thanks for your thoughts on this we can take this into consideration when we modify posts in the future.

On a side note, whilst we might take advice from the Government on the affects of smart meters, not everyone agrees with us. Community should be a place where we can talk about this openly. Please be respectful of everyones opinions on Community.

@Hooloovoo, I'll have to check about whether's a charge if a doctor's note is produced.
  • edited February 28
    Hooloovoo said:

AdamF3 said:

I’ve never personally seen the reason to own a smart meter. Some people like the ease of not having to gove meter readings etc. I think we are a long way off compulsory

The thing is, the meter is owned by the supplier not the customer. And billing arrangements are a commercial decision for the supplier to make. If they want to change the meter, they should be allowed to. I don't see why customers are even being given a choice or having to be "sold" on any benefits of smart meters. If the supplier wants to change the meter that should be up to them. It's their meter, not mine.

The meter may belong to the supplier, but the meter is also in a property that I own, so I would like to think I would have a say in what goes into my property.

I know of people who have had them removed after buying their homes with the electric digital meters fitted instead
  • AdamF3 said:

The meter may belong to the supplier, but the meter is also in a property that I own, so I would like to think I would have a say in what goes into my property.

In many cases, not yours or mine, the meter is outside the property. When a supplier comes to force fit prepayment meters it's not necessary to obtain a warrant when the meters are outside, although most suppliers will still do so. I would think such a situation would also apply here if the fitting of smart meters ever become compulsory. It's different when the meters are inside the property I agree. But even then, when a meter has reached the end of its life and a change must be made, by force if necessary, what's going to happen when the only meters being manufactured are smart?

I agree for sure you have a say in what goes into your property. But the reply could well be, we accept your decision but can no longer provide you with an electricity or gas supply. You're then got to find another supplier that will take you as a customer. It's just delaying the inevitable.

It's similar to banning the sale of new cars with internal combustion engines by 2040/50. There'll be no need to ban them by then, because manufactures will already have stopped making them due to all profit transferring to EVs. So anybody looking to buy a new car and still refusing to consider an EV wont have any choice.
    AdamF3 said:

I know of people who have had them removed after buying their homes with the electric digital meters fitted instead

Acknowledged. Never said it wasn't possible. But that isn't guaranteed in the future, in this case the future is closer than you might think. No manufacturer is going to continue to make old style meters when there is no market for them.
  • Hooloovoo said:

. ...a doctor's note that will be impossible to obtain because it's all nonsense

If I went to my GP saying that my SMART meter was causing me undue concern for 'health and safety reasons' and that I needed a 'note' from him to get the SMART meter removed he would certainly write one.

The OP asked for advise as how to get their SMART meter removed, not attempted belittlement based on assumptions as to why they have those concerns.

Agrees
  • Suzanne46 said:

Hooloovoo said:

Agrees

The op did ask, but they can't cite the health risks unless they have nothing emitting em radiation in the house (no mobiles, and the house is surrounded in a Faraday cage) your local phone mast will be emitting microwaves at several orders of magnitude higher than a smart meter.
  • anth0ny said:

To an extent yes, but if you want to have electricity the DNO and suppliers can specify on what terms you get that electricity.

Virgin Media will supply you with broadband, but you have to use their modem. They want to replace mine and I've told them I'm not interested, but eventually I suspect I will have to do so or risk a lack of service.

In the future I could see it being exactly the same for electricity. If you don't agree with their terms then go somewhere else.