Bulbs Smart meter roll out in 2019/20 — Bulb Community

Bulbs Smart meter roll out in 2019/20

Hello Bulb

Could you post some details/photos on the smart meter equipment you are intending to start rolling out this year.

Does it use a public mobile data network or the customers own Wifi for the data backhaul?

Best Regards

Danny

Comments

• Spitfire said:

Hello Bulb

Just to be clear, you're posting on the Bulb forum for discussion between Bulb customers. Whilst Bulb staff do post here, most of the replies you will get are from other Bulb customers, like myself. I do not represent Bulb.
    Spitfire said:

Could you post some details/photos on the smart meter equipment you are intending to start rolling out this year.

See this thread from this comment onwards.
    Spitfire said:

Does it use a public mobile data network or the customers own Wifi for the data backhaul?

No smart meters rely on WiFi, and especially not if it needed to be provided by the customer. The roll out of smart meters has been somewhat of a fiasco but they're not daft enough to design a system that would need to customer to provide the backhaul.

Smart meters use the mobile data network in the majority of the UK. In the north of the UK a dedicated long range radio system is used.
  • Hello

Point 1: Thank you for the reply, its a shame that Bulb doesn't actively engage with this forum.

Point 2: The photos of Bulb's smart meters and the text was enlightening.

Point 3: In the first sentence you say they use WiFi and then in the second sentence you say they use the mobile data network, which is confusing.

Giving a Smart meter access to my home WiFi network would put me straight off them in a heartbeat, having worked on a number of cyber techno projects where I got to witness reverse engineered COTS equipment being used against the people who owned it, trusted it and thought it was safe ;-)

Best Regards

Danny
  • The smart meter roll out uses the cellular network to transmit consumption data from the CHUB to the DCC. I believe this is predominantly on the 2.5G network.

It does not touch consumers WiFi at all.

A number of suppliers are starting to offer In Home Displays that can connect to a customers Wi-Fi network and deliver that consumption data into the cloud to enable more services.

The security of the system is very high and IMO it’s generally only tin foil hat conspiracy theorists that are particularly worried about it however it is obviously every individuals choice on whether they a) have a smart meter fitted and b) whether they would want to enable further services by connecting to WiFi.
  • Spitfire said:

Point 3: In the first sentence you say they use WiFi and then in the second sentence you say they use the mobile data network, which is confusing.

No I didn't. Did you miss the word "no" at the beginning?