When can you start referring friends? — Bulb Community

When can you start referring friends?

Hi,

I'll be using Bulb after I move house in a couple of weeks time. Can I already refer a friend, who will also start using Bulb in a couple of weeks time, before then? Or do you need to have made a first payment before you can start referring people? If so, I guess there's no way for me to refer my friend?

Thanks

Comments

• lucidity said:

Hi,

I'll be using Bulb after I move house in a couple of weeks time. Can I already refer a friend, who will also start using Bulb in a couple of weeks time, before then? Or do you need to have made a first payment before you can start referring people? If so, I guess there's no way for me to refer my friend?

Thanks

Once you join Bulb you will be given a referral link which you can use straight away to refer a friend. But for you to benefit from the referral both you and the person you referred must have actually switched to Bulb. Switching is nominally 21 days after you join Bulb.
  • Allanr said:

Once you join Bulb you will be given a referral link which you can use straight away to refer a friend. But for you to benefit from the referral both you and the person you referred must have actually switched to Bulb. Switching is nominally 21 days after you join Bulb.

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if the link would work if used during this 21 day period indeed. I'm fine waiting for any referral credit, I was just curious if, once my 21 days and my friend's 21 days had passed, and we'd both made our initial payments for the first month, the referral would count as a valid referral. Don't want them to miss out due to any invalid referral on my behalf.
  • If I recall correctly I switched to Bulb a day or two after my friend started his switch. I used his referral code and we both got the referral bonus as expected, even though my switch completed almost immediately after his. Basically, once you have your referral code then it's ok to immediately start using it.
  • edited March 15
    @ucidity

I referred a friend just after I joined Bulb and both he and I received the £50 shortly after the actual switch of the two of us.
  • Hi @lucidity - You can start referring as soon as you make the decision to switch to us, you don't have to wait until we officially supply you!
  • Great thanks everyone @Hooloovoo @Allanr and @Bill at Bulb!

Also, sorry it's slightly off-topic to my initial query, but since the bills are in the name of my landlord in my current property, I thought I would just start as a "New customer" and sign up to Bulb and not have to worry about this 21 days "moving house" stuff, but from other posts I seem to have gathered that electricity and gas suppliers supply an address, not a person, so it's not down to the current tenant at my place closing their account with their supplier and then me opening one with Bulb for that address, but rather I would actually be stuck with whatever supplier they're with currently for the first 21 days at their probably overpriced "standard tariff", before being able to start using Bulb?
    As far as I understood it, I will have to wait to move in to the property, check the meter numbers, from this I'll be able to find out which supplier is supplying the property currently, contact them to put the contract in my name, and then initiate the switch to Bulb, who will cancel the contract with the existing supplier for me?

Also, if they're already with Bulb (which would be great in avoiding this 21 days stuff and the changeover, though I guess it's unlikely), I guess the referral bonus wouldn't apply, since the property is already with Bulb? Or in that case does it matter that I as a customer am new to Bulb?
  • lucidity said:

As far as I understood it, I will have to wait to move in to the property, check the meter numbers, from this I'll be able to find out which supplier is supplying the property currently, contact them to put the contract in my name, and then initiate the switch to Bulb, who will cancel the contract with the existing supplier for me?

Also, if they're already with Bulb (which would be great in avoiding this 21 days stuff and the changeover, though I guess it's unlikely), I guess the referral bonus wouldn't apply, since the property is already with Bulb? Or in that case does it matter that I as a customer am new to Bulb?

Correct on both points.

You can't change suppliers to a property until you are responsible for that property. If the property is already supplied by Bulb, there is nothing to refer and no referral bonus.
  • Ok, that makes sense, thanks so much for all your help @Hooloovoo