Bulb are looking to move into EV leasing & financing. — Bulb Community

Bulb are looking to move into EV leasing & financing.

edited March 20 in About Bulb
From their careers page:

Head of Automotive
We are looking for a Head of Automotive to support the work done inside Bulb Labs, the new products team at Bulb. Our mission is to help our members reduce their bills and their carbon impact. Working with new partners, developing meaningful partnerships that are turned into new products to help our members achieve this in every part of their life is the focus of the Bulb Labs team.

Success in this role means heading up a completely new division of the business focused on electric vehicles leasing & financing.

Your main responsibilities will include:

Help refine the strategy and commercial model for Bulb’s EV leasing and financing business
Help build a team to support EV leasing & financing work at Bulb
Build relationships across a UK ecology dealers, financing bodies and recommendation engines
Support in the due diligence that’s required for these partners (proactively and reactively)
Manage targets and KPIs

Requirements

At Bulb we want to hire people with the experiences necessary to get going quickly, but who are also interested in learning new things and are comfortable working in a changing and dynamic environment.

Here are some of the things we think will be valuable, but we're also open-minded. If you recognise yourself in any of these traits, we’d love for you to send us an application.

You have over 10 years of experience in automotive leasing and financing
You have some experience in the electric vehicles market
You have some experience with technology-led organisations, ideally in consumer-facing businesses
You are collaborative by default. You are comfortable working at all levels of the organisation and also keen to roll your sleeves up and get stuff done.
You have exceptional communication skills and are able to communicate complex ideas in a simple fashion
You are commercially minded, numerate and have experience working in highly ambiguous, fast-paced environments
You have a track record of achieving success in selling complex products with long sales cycles

Bulb cares deeply about helping the technology and energy industries become a more inclusive and diverse place and we work hard to lead by example.

Benefits

We offer some great benefits:

Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy
Collaborative, flexible and friendly environment
Competitive salary, share options and bonus
25 days holiday (excluding bank holidays)
1 month sabbatical leave after your first year
Training budget, healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions
Cycle to work scheme
Free breakfast on Fridays

Comments

• Sounds like a certain other energy supplier. But maybe now Bulb will stop the negativity they keep spewing towards EVs?
  • Sounds like a certain other energy supplier. But maybe now Bulb will stop the negativity they keep spewing towards EVs?

I don't know what negativity you're talking about. I haven't seen any.

There was a blog post where they warned people that buying an EV would lead to higher electricity bills. They failed to mention this is a good thing (electricity is much cheaper per mile than petrol) - so some people were not best pleased.
  • phproxy said:

Sounds like a certain other energy supplier. But maybe now Bulb will stop the negativity they keep spewing towards EVs?

There was a blog post where they warned people that buying an EV would lead to higher electricity bills. They failed to mention this is a good thing (electricity is much cheaper per mile than petrol) - so some people were not best pleased.
    Ahh that makes sense. As you say, I asked a colleague about his tesla. The increase in electricity usage was significantly less than his monthy petrol (diesel) bill

@MorganBlues comments are directed towards the Life Electric: EV Negativity thread.

We wrote a blog post - Life Electric - that said “owning an electric vehicle can, in some cases, double your energy bills and that’s going to have a huge impact on whether you invest in an electric car or not”.

Community members pointed out that despite electricity bills increasing, they’ve found having an electric vehicle saved them money compared to fueling their cars with petrol or diesel. Even though their electricity bill had increased, their overall energy costs had decreased.

To be clear, Bulb are very much for Electric Vehicles. We’ve already taken some big steps towards exploring ways for people across the UK to own an EV as simply, affordably and renewably as possible. For example:
    • We’re currently working with EDMI on the feasibility phase of a project exploring smart charging for EVs
    • We released our smart tariff that is an affordable way to charge an electric vehicle
    If you’d like to get involved in some of our beta testing for Bulb’s future electric vehicle products, just let us know.

@MorganBlues comments are directed towards the Life Electric: EV Negativity thread.

We wrote a blog post - Life Electric - that said “owning an electric vehicle can, in some cases, double your energy bills and that’s going to have a huge impact on whether you invest in an electric car or not”.

Community members pointed out that despite electricity bills increasing, they’ve found having an electric vehicle saved them money compared to fueling their cars with petrol or diesel. Even though their electricity bill had increased, their overall energy costs had decreased.

To be clear, Bulb are very much for Electric Vehicles. We’ve already taken some big steps towards exploring ways for people across the UK to own an EV as simply, affordably and renewably as possible. For example:
    • We’re currently working with EDMI on the feasibility phase of a project exploring smart charging for EVs
    • We released our smart tariff that is an affordable way to charge an electric vehicle
    If you’d like to get involved in some of our beta testing for Bulb’s future electric vehicle products, just let us know.
    If this was a genuine miswording Bulb would have issued a correction on the blog post to clarify what was meant.
  • To be clear on the savings - members with electric cars save a lot of money on their bills in comparison to fuelling an internal combustion vehicle.

The blog post and Eleanor's above do not make that clear. The difference is massive.
  • edited March 27
    Hi @AndrewC and @MorgenBlue

We've changed the blog post to reflect your comments. Sorry if our messaging was unclear on our EV position.
  • Thank you for removing the misleading part.
  • Hi @AndrewC and @MorgenBlue

We've changed the blog post to reflect your comments. Sorry if our messaging was unclear on our EV position.

It is good you removed that bit, but it's gone from negative to neutral really. Still nothing positive on EVs really.

It's a bit like someone reluctantly admitting fault and then staying quiet about it.
  • As I've outlined above, we're very much in favour of EVs. That's why we're exploring ways to make EVs affordable wherever you charge up!

• As I've outlined above, we're very much in favour of EVs. That's why we're exploring ways to make EVs affordable wherever you charge up!

Don't get me wrong those efforts are great, and appreciated. I just find the writing of the blog posts in general to not be very enthusiastic or particularly well informed on the subject.

Bulb are playing catch-up with other suppliers on the EV specifics. The smart tariff doesn't add anything beyond Economy 7, and the grid trial is interesting but a similar grid balancing setup will be available this summer to people with the widely deployed Zappi chargers.