What to do if your In-Home-Display (IHD) is not working — Bulb Community

What to do if your In-Home-Display (IHD) is not working

If you’ve had a smart meter installed, you’ll also have been offered an In-Home Display (IHD). This is a small device that connects to your smart meters wirelessly. It shows you how much energy you are using in real time, both in kWh and pounds and pence.

We started installing smart meters in January 2019. Members who signed up to the smart meter waiting list will be the first to know when a smart meter can be installed in their home.

Sometimes IHDs do not work when they are first installed. The fix is often easy. In the majority of cases, your IHD will start working 24-48 hours after installation. In other cases, you’ll need to contact Bulb.

The important thing to note is that if you in-house-display is not working:
  • We can still get your smart meter readings
  • Your power will not cut out
Here’s some of the common problems and how to fix them:

The in-home-display is blank

If there is nothing showing on the screen, it’s possible that the IHD has run out of power.

To fix this, plug it back in to recharge it. Then press the round flat button on the back to restart it.

The In-Home Display can’t connect to the network in your home

Some In-Home displays will show:
  • Information for one fuel only, even when you have a smart meter for both gas and electricity
  • A message that says ‘Waiting for data’
  • A message that says ‘Connection lost’
Try moving your IHD closer to your electricity smart meter. Once you're there, turn it off using the round, flat button at the back. Wait a minute and then press the button again to switch the IHD back on. Sometimes, this gives it the boost it needs to get going again.

If after 48 hours your IHD is still showing one of these messages please let us know by filling out this quick form.

We should be able to troubleshoot your meter and get you back on track.

Occasionally circumstances beyond our control will mean that you need a second visit from the engineer. When this happens, they’ll let you know. While you wait, your IHD will not be able to show any data recorded by your smart meters.

Comments

• @Eleanor at Bulb, technically, what is the cause of the issue where only gas readings are being displayed?
    Gas and electricity meter have ceased communication with each other but the IHD is close to the gas meter so still connected to its HAN signal? Or am I completely off track here?
  • It's been over a month since my smart meters were installed, and 3 weeks since I contacted Bulb as there is no data showing on my IHD. It's very disappointing, as I was hoping to use this as an opportunity to educate my kids on how we consume energy.....
  • If the IHD is only showing gas data it is usually where the IHD has a connection to the gas meter but not the electricity so it is only able to draw one set of readings.

@james7934 we're doing our very best to fix this. As soon as we can get it working, we'll send you an email. Sorry for the wait.

• edited March 25

If the IHD is only showing gas data it is usually where the IHD has a connection to the gas meter but not the electricity so it is only able to draw one set of readings.

So how does one get the IHD to connect to the electricity meter?

• hi - having the same issue
  • Same for me. Gas only reading. The meter was installed two weeks ago. This is not good enough Bulb.
  • Have you tried moving your IHD closer to your smart meters? You should turn off the IHD using the round, flat button at the back. Wait a minute and then press the button again to switch the IHD back on. This can sometimes help.

If neither of these work, we'll need to sort it from this end.

Could you send please post below the following:
    • A picture of the IHD
    • Is the IHD showing electricity data or are both not appearing?
    • Did the IHD ever display meter readings?
    • If it did, how long did it show for before the error?

• Installed 14th March
    Has shown Gas data from that date.
    Has never shown Electricity data.

I have tried turning the IHD off and back on. Turned it off, left next to the electricity meter for approx 30 mins, then turned back on and left next to meter for another 10-15 mins.
  • I do wish Bulb would give out consistent info on this issue. I dropped an email to the Helpdesk with the exact same info, to be told that there is a known issue and they are working on a fix over the next few weeks! So which is it, a data error on your side, or a software issue requiring a fix..
  • Well well well, a quick phone call to the Bulb Smart Meter helpdesk and I am now up and running with Electric and Gas working on my IHD :-) They had to re-run the sync for Electric and within 5 minutes Electric was then displayed on the IHD. I called 020 3893 2890 and they could see the issue and resolved it.

• Gavlaah said:

I do wish Bulb would give out consistent info on this issue. I dropped an email to the Helpdesk with the exact same info, to be told that there is a known issue and they are working on a fix over the next few weeks! So which is it, a data error on your side, or a software issue requiring a fix..

I've said it before, there's quite a disconnect between Bulb first line support and the tech back office.
  • Hooloovoo said:

Gavlaah said:

I do wish Bulb would give out consistent info on this issue. I dropped an email to the Helpdesk with the exact same info, to be told that there is a known issue and they are working on a fix over the next few weeks! So which is it, a data error on your side, or a software issue requiring a fix..

I've said it before, there's quite a disconnect between Bulb first line support and the tech back office.
    Yup and that is very clear now as a call to the right Helpdesk has now sorted my IHD Gas only issue.
  • Gavlaah said:

They had to re-run the sync for Electric and within 5 minutes Electric was then displayed on the IHD. I called 020 3893 2890 and they could see the issue and resolved it.

Thanks for posting the above. If it was that easy I hope they'll be doing this for everyone with the same issue and that this is a permanent fix...... I emailed the Smart Team directly yesterday for an update but no reply yet.

Out of interest, is your IHD showing the correct gas price after the price reduction on 21st March? Mine isn't.
  • Out of interest, is your IHD showing the correct gas price after the price reduction on 21st March? Mine isn't.

No tariff change on SMETS1 displays either. Mine is currently showing a mix of about 3 different tariff changes, where some info has been pushed and some not.
  • Gavlaah said:

Well well well, a quick phone call to the Bulb Smart Meter helpdesk and I am now up and running with Electric and Gas working on my IHD :-) They had to re-run the sync for Electric and within 5 minutes Electric was then displayed on the IHD. I called 020 3893 2890 and they could see the issue and resolved it.

Thanks for posting. Just called and spoke to someone called Charlie. He said he couldn’t do it, but would pass it onto someone else. Think it very much depends on who you speak to.
  • Gavlaah said:

Well well well, a quick phone call to the Bulb Smart Meter helpdesk and I am now up and running with Electric and Gas working on my IHD :-) They had to re-run the sync for Electric and within 5 minutes Electric was then displayed on the IHD. I called 020 3893 2890 and they could see the issue and resolved it.

Lol, a working IHD was short lived, I think Gas & Elec worked correctly for about 2hrs this afternoon before it decided that it now wanted to "Wait for current data" on both Gas and Elec. Been like that for 30mins now....oh well :-(
  • My ihd wont show my electricity usage. But the gas is working. Tried turning off and back on. It was fitted at 11am today 27th March. But still not working how it should. I cant post a picture. It wont let me.
  • I cant post a picture. It wont let me.

Best to send the details to Bulb directly. This forum isn't monitored by the Bulb Smart Team.
  • Same problem- no electricity reading. I can't access the online form.
  • edited March 28
    Hey all.

We did, for a short time, solve IHD issues over the phone. We have now stopped doing so because it is an inefficient way of solving the issue. Intstead, we're able to resolve any problems in bulk. By categorising members who have the same issues we can solve the problems faster and help more members. This also frees time for the smart team to work on ways to prevent the IHDs not connecting in the first place.

If your IHD is not connecting 48 hours after installation, please email us on help@bulb.co.uk and we'll be in touch when we've fixed it. You will receive an email.

Please include the following:
    • A picture of the IHD
    • Is the IHD showing electricity data or are both not appearing?
    • Did the IHD ever display meter readings?
    • If it did, how long did it show for before the error?
    @Andrew_rees85 @Aimee2 @Gavlaah @sama @Walks_With_Dogs - could either either post a picture on here with these details or email help@bulb.co.uk and we can get this fixed for you.

@foamcow - thanks for the details, I'll raised this with the smart team.
  • @Eleanor at Bulb I've sent in another email, with the requested information. Thanks
  • Gavlaah said:

@Eleanor at Bulb I've sent in another email, with the requested information. Thanks

Thanks @Gavlaah - I can that it's gone straight to Matthew. I really hope we can get this fixed soon for you!
  • No electricity reading, instant electricity usage indicators dead. Tried it out immediately next to elec meter: no difference.
  • I am also suffering from the showing Gas consumption only problem. I have sent an email as requested and am waiting for a solution.

I have another issue with the IHD though. I have tried to connect the device to my WiFi network but when I start the WPS scan the WiFi indicator flashes for a brief time and then the display goes back to the setup page. Has anyone successfully connected the IHD to their home WiFi?
  • Connecting to my home WiFi is the one thing my IHD will do. I'm not sure if there is any point in connecting it though. I have no idea as to whether bulb can communicate with the IHD over the internet when it is connected to WiFi.
  • My smart meter is only showing gas consumption like everyone. I have sent an email to the support team
  • edited March 29
    @Eleanor at Bulb Given these IHD issues, in these instances can you confirm if Bulb are actually receiving readings from the smart meters? I was told mine weren't being read (and I haven't been updated otherwise) and so now have no way to submit online readings if that's still the case.
  • I emailed Bulb last week with the requested information and mine is working again.
  • edited March 30
    Had the meter fitted on Wednesday, only showed Gas reading. Thursday, it showed both electricity and gas for 30 mins. Then broke again and just says waiting for data.

Anyhoo, I know you will sort it and you are a great energy company, I am glad I joined and I'm glad you fitted these meters because it saves me having to read them.
  • Horray, just got back from the shops and my Smart meter is now working, showing both electricity and gas...
    I'm well chuffed, it looks great, I can monitor my spending, it relays readings straight to Bulb.
    Yep I'm glad I joined Bulb 10 months ago you have been brilliant so far, please keep it up.
  • Horray, just got back from the shops and my Smart meter is now working, showing both electricity and gas...
    I'm well chuffed, it looks great, I can monitor my spending, it relays readings straight to Bulb.
    Yep I'm glad I joined Bulb 10 months ago you have been brilliant so far, please keep it up.

I don’t want to burst your bubble, but don’t get too excited! Mine initially didn’t work, Gas only, then it burst into life with Gas and Electric after I reported it. It worked for a few hours, then back to “waiting for current data”. Like that for 24hrs, then started working again. Again works for a few hours, then again back to “waiting for current data”. Working fine this morning, but now again back to Waiting.... it’s useless.

• Had mine a couple of weeks and I have to say it is c**p.
    It starting beeping incessantly last night and today it has randomly frozen on ‘choose language’ and I can’t even switch it off. Compared with friends’ smart meters it really is pathetic.
  • In house display is what I meant. Not the smart meters. Mine is the black one featured on the Bulb website.
  • Gavlaah said:

Horray, just got back from the shops and my Smart meter is now working, showing both electricity and gas...

I don’t want to burst your bubble, but don’t get too excited! Mine initially didn’t work, Gas only, then it burst into life with Gas and Electric after I reported it. It worked for a few hours, then back to “waiting for current data”. Like that for 24hrs, then started working again. Again works for a few hours, then again back to “waiting for current data”. Working fine this morning, but now again back to Waiting.... it’s useless.

I hear you....still, I love it.
  • Pietro said:

Had mine a couple of weeks and I have to say it is c**p.
    It starting beeping incessantly last night and today it has randomly frozen on ‘choose language’ and I can’t even switch it off. Compared with friends’ smart meters it really is pathetic.

You compare smart meters?
  • Gas (only) usage has appeared on my IHD for the first time 11 days after installation. Possibly only coincidence, but this happened at some time during the night the clocks went forward for summer time.
  • Mine is about to go in the bin! Had a power cut yesterday, now nothing working, won’t sync with either Gas or Electric meters. WiFi connected, but no connection to the meter. What a pile of cr@p.
  • Gas (only) usage has appeared on my IHD for the first time 11 days after installation. Possibly only coincidence, but this happened at some time during the night the clocks went forward for summer time.

Sadly you can add me to the list of gas-only IHD displays now too. Same situation as you, meters installed 10 days ago, IHD stuck on "waiting for current data" then at some point last night the gas readings started coming through but no electricity.
  • Out of interest, are those having issues on the WiFi IHD or the one without WiFi?
  • The model with WiFi in my case.
  • Scrolling through the "Account Information" screens I get to one reading "Waiting for CIN". I think CIN probably means Customer or Consumer Identification Number. I wonder if this message could be related to the electricity usage not appearing?
  • edited March 31

Scrolling through the "Account Information" screens I get to one reading "Waiting for CIN". I think CIN probably means Customer or Consumer Identification Number. I wonder if this message could be related to the electricity usage not appearing?

I had wondered the same. Mine also says “Waiting for CIN” in the Account Details section of the IHD. I also have gas information but no electricity.

@William at Bulb - Would you mind highlighting to the smart team? Could the two issues be related? No CIN = no electricity info?

• I’ve got an electricity CIN of 0000 and my gas says “Waiting for CIN” but I do have both readings on the non-WiFi cad
  • For anyone else who didn't know what CIN was:

CIN = Customer Identification Number

• Gavlaah said:

Horray, just got back from the shops and my Smart meter is now working, showing both electricity and gas...

Well you were right...it was working for Saturday and Sunday, now Monday morning says waiting for data.... annoying is not the word.
    Surely these have been tested since December, these problems should be ironed out. Time for a firmware update to solve this issue.
  • I'm just wondering, if I changed suppliers I would still have the same Smart Meter right? So would the problem persist? I mean is the problem with the equipment or the data being given by the supplier?
  • edited April 1

Gavlaah said:

Well you were right...it was working for Saturday and Sunday, now Monday morning says waiting for data.... annoying is not the word.
    Surely these have been tested since December, these problems should be ironed out. Time for a firmware update to solve this issue.
    Well, you'll probably find it starts working again for a while, then stop again, that's what my IHD did. But unfortunately my IHD has taken a big step back, it no longer synchs with the meter at all, wifi connection is solid, but the icon showing the connection strength to the meter is now flashing and the IHD constantly reboots after about a minute. I can't even use it as a clock as the clock no displays 00:00!! All this happened after a power cut at the weekend....I wonder if this is design flaw, they can't cope with power cuts?

Anybody want a new doorstop?
  • I got my smart meter fitted on 13th march 2019..it apparently did not work from the get go so the engineer left, leaving an IHD plugged in but not showing data relevant to me. Nor does the clock show the right time, and the readings today are exactly the same as on 13/3..I got some pathetic response from Bulb about the gas meter not talking to the electric and I will have to submit Gas readings ,it might take till the end of the year to correct!!! No word how to get my IHD working..A thoroughly amateurish production all around I'd say. I have no idea what my consumption is and am so much worse off than before 13th March.
  • Hey @christos_1 and @paulj , CIN = Customer Identification Number as a couple of you managed to work out.

The field showing 000 or 'Waiting for CIN' is very normal, it exists in case we want to send a unique reference number to your IHD to confirm some details. This number isn't essential and won't be holding your display back from working.

@Eleanor is away for the week, so I'll be keeping everyone updated as we get more information on the fix. Please ask away if you've got any questions.
  • Given these IHD issues, in these instances can you confirm if Bulb are actually receiving readings from the smart meters? I was told mine weren't being read (and I haven't been updated otherwise) and so now have no way to submit online readings if that's still the case.

@William at Bulb - in Eleanor's absence can you answer the above please. Thanks.
  • Hi @norman7115, sorry for missing that post.

The IHD issues are separate from the meter, therefore we will have no trouble getting those readings ourselves. I've just checked your account and can see that your meters have successfully connected up to our network.

We are now waiting on a couple more technical details from the job, which is perfectly normal. You'll then be able to see your first set of smart readings in your next statement.
  • Hi William,
    My IHD is still only showing Gas readings. I already sent an email to the support team but have not heard from them. Can you investigate and resolve the issue ?
    Thank you
  • Hi @Walter1970, thanks for sending that photo in. I've passed it onto our smart team and replied to your email.
  • New smart meter home display is only showing gas readings and for the current day only. Three days since installation now. I have reported this problem by phone and was assured the “smart team” would be contacting me very soon to fix the problem remotely. Nothing as yet. Can you help?
  • Mine hasn't worked since installation on the 1st March. I've emailed help@bulb.co.uk again. Very dissapointing.
  • Can’t see Bulb’s customer service ratings staying so high at this rate.
  • Hi had my smart meter installed this morning but display just says ‘waiting for current data’ and my bulb app is asking for a gas meter reading! Help!
  • @joanna2694, you can still read your gas meter manually (there are instructions on the meter) so until your IHD starts displaying the correct information (and the meters start reporting everything to Bulb), I'd just go ahead and do that.
  • Long call with Bulb Smart team. Seems my gas meter wasn’t commissioned properly and they can’t book a new appointment to recommission plus known issues with IHD generally. Seems this rollout is not very ‘smart’!
  • Hi @norman7115, sorry for missing that post. The IHD issues are separate from the meter, therefore we will have no trouble getting those readings ourselves. I've just checked your account and can see that your meters have successfully connected up to our network. We are now waiting on a couple more technical details from the job, which is perfectly normal. You'll then be able to see your first set of smart readings in your next statement.

Thanks @William at Bulb. Since your reply I'm now seeing an estimated electricity reading in my Bulb account. Is that expected given you can now read the smart meter? No final gas readings from the old meter or estimated gas reading are showing, so does something need to happen there before I get my next bill, estimated or otherwise?
  • What @William at Bulb has said is incorrect. Yes, for those of us with smart meters they are receiving readings and will switch to half hourly on request but they have an issue with the online dashboard and the app. The data from Bulb smart meters comes through DCC - a different company to that handling SMETS1 meters from other suppliers and in a different format. Bulb are storing this raw data but can’t do anything with it and the dashboard is only updating for those with older meters.

SMETS2 support is planned as part of the dashboard updates but I’m asking that they make the changes to the existing billing and dashboard separately. It’s more important to have the data than have really pretty visualisations.

While we wait, the smart team have asked me to submit manual meter readings by phone. This is important as the gas prices have just reduced.
  • Same problem as before my smart meter was installed 26th March but only getting gas readings and lights across the bottom of the ihd are not showing readings show about £2 60 a day is this correct then are bulb getting the right readings?
  • Same here, ONLY Gas
    Showing and " waiting for CIN" Showing, despite several emails and phone calls to BULB help desk it's still not fixed, appears that the Electricity meter is not paired with the IHD.
    At the moment an IHD is a total waste.
    Come on BULB from all the simmilar posts on here you should be able to resolve quickly and easily
  • I observed this issue yesterday on a friend's IHD and in that case, moving the IHD far away from the meters so that it lost signal completely, and then bringing it back to be close to the electricity meter resolved the issue.

The signal on these devices is abysmal though so for anyone with the problem, try the above, or switching off the IHD, moving it to be as close to the electricity meter as possible and then switching it back on.
    If your meter is more than about 5m away from the meters and there's a wall or two in the way, it's very possible that you'll experience issues and may need to move the IHD closer.
  • Neither worked for me. My IHD seems to have quite a strong signal - it was still picking up the HAN inside a steel filling cabinet 15m and two walls away from the meter!
  • The filing cabinet drawer was slightly open to allow for observation, so not acting as a perfect Faraday cage.
  • Well today still no data but now IHD totally not working as on/off switch will not respond and screen frozen!
  • I assume those with the gas only problem can't actually switch their IHD to electricity mode at all? That's what I observe on mine at least.
  • Yes, mine is unswitchable to electricity.
  • @tkerby, thanks for expanding on my post, however I think there's a few things that should be clarified.

The IHD issues are completely separate to the meter, don't worry if your IHD isn't working for now, as it won't stop us from taking readings.

@norman7115, by default we take all smart meter readings on a monthly basis. These readings come into our system like normal meter readings, which is why we've been able to get them up and running in statements. We are really sorry that you can't see any smart readings on your own account yet, we believe this was due to some missing job information, which I briefly mentioned earlier. I've just sent you an email so you have a point of contact on this, we're going to be investigating the issue next week so I'll keep you updated with our progress.

The other way to take smart readings is on a half hourly basis, as @tkerby has requested for his meter. We receive these readings in a different format to the monthly readings. The raw data isn't automatically processed by our system, so we need to work out how to extract it ourselves. I've just had a chat with some of our smart developers and I can see that they're making really good progress on this.

@tkerby, you're our prime guinea pig for this, so thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, it looks like your account has suffered from a similar issue to @norman7115, therefore we'll be investigating your case alongside his. We want to make it clear that the half hourly readings are completely independent to the monthly readings, so we shouldn't have any issues processing these for your account.

We know that you guys want half hourly data, and we'll get it to you as soon as we can. Please don't think that you're waiting for us to make some pretty graphs, as we finished these up a long time ago!
  • Thanks @William at Bulb that makes a lot of sense and I think @Eleanor at Bulb had perhaps given us a red herring when she was talking about seeing the new dashboard. From what I understand there is an issue affecting the first set of monthly readings from smart meters so hopefully should see a reading come through in the next few days.

I’m also presuming you are storing the half hourly data so we will have the historic data when the issue is fixed
  • Also @William at Bulb how about a pinned post with bugs, issues and features relating to smart metering summarising and keeping us all updated in each. I’ve seen conflicts between what people are told and differences in support between the forums, in app chat and the smart metering team so a bug list would be fantastic
  • edited April 5
    Same issue here with only gas showing on the IHD. I emailed support on the 20th March, heard nothing for 8 days, then the same response of ‘we’ll have to investigate, you’re on the list’. No change since.

Just checked my account and I have an estimated electric reading from the 1st April of 144 (should be in the 4000s) and nothing for gas. Can someone at bulb please confirm my readings are working? What is the standard day for the monthly reading? The 1st?

Thanks, Adam
  • edited April 6
    Hey @William at Bulb I just wanted to add my name to the list of people that are getting gas readings only in have done since installation.

The IHD is approximately 1m from the electric meter.

I have sent images to Lewis C. as he requested on the phone 10 days ago but I've not received any response.

Are you able to look in to my account for me?
  • Add me to the list of dissatisfied customers. Installed yesterday and the engineer demonstrated all readings on the IHD working fine. Soon after he left, gas only. I’ve tried moving it next to the meter and turning it off and on but no change. Same as everyone else.
  • Neither worked for me. My IHD seems to have quite a strong signal - it was still picking up the HAN inside a steel filling cabinet 15m and two walls away from the meter!

Ah I see the problem ... you forgot to put the sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
  • Just had the smart meter installed on Wednesday 3rd April and the engineer said it would be a couple of days before the meter started with the on screen summary.

Nothing as yet, despite restarts as suggested. Still shows “Waiting for current data”.

As requested on your help community...
    A picture of the IHD (attached)
    Is the IHD showing electricity data or are both not appearing? Nothing appears. Message as per above.
    Did the IHD ever display meter readings? No
    If it did, how long did it show for before the error? N/A

• I can be added to the list of unhappy customers too. Meter fitted 3 days ago and IHD has never worked.

It apparently has no link to the meter (HAN?).
  • I'm in the same boat.

If I was running bulb I would stop installing meters until I had them working properly. Up to now bulb have enjoyed a good reputation, proceeding with a shoddy installation like this is only going to upset customers - you only have to browse these forums to see that.
  • edited April 7
    Had my smart meter installed on Thurs 4th April and the engineer said it would be a couple of days before the meter started with the on screen summary.

Nothing as yet, despite restarts as suggested. Still shows “Waiting for current data”.

My biggest issue has been my extensive course in learning Welsh, being from Scotland my first language is of course Gaelic :)
    Thanks to ppiixx I was able to get this resolved back to Queens English :)

Can Bulb please confirm when Gaelic will be added to the language list ?

Looks to be a nice meter but as others have reported display reports "Waiting for current data".
  • Can I point out that (as far as I know) we are getting these meters as part of a trial because we signed up to a trial.

Things will sometimes go wrong (as mine did) and I knew about this issue before installation and still decided to go ahead, and I think accusations of bad service and shoddiness on Bulb's part are unfair and suggest people aren't aware what they signed up for.

Mine were fine initially after a very professional installation, then went off after 24 hours, and then came back on about a week later and have been fine since. It's just the IHD that was not working, the meter had a WAN connection to Bulb the whole time (check the lights on the meter).
  • edited April 8
    Well, after numerous phone calls, I’ve now been told that the electricity smart meter isn’t connected to the network, but the gas is! Bulb says it’ll take several months for an engineer to be sent out to resolve, as they’re waiting for Siemens to deploy suitably qualified engineers to correct. This really isn’t acceptable. I know some people said we signed up to a trial, but there was no indication that the latest rollout is a trial?
  • This very useful thread keeps getting pushed down the list as new topics are posted. Could it be anchored at the top of the page please?
  • This very useful thread keeps getting pushed down the list as new topics are posted. Could it be anchored at the top of the page please?

It's pinned to the top of Help and Support, but because the forums are rubbish, it's not actually very helpful.

https://community.bulb.co.uk/categories/help
  • So it is. But I have been getting to this page through "recent discussions" where it isn't pinned.
  • Well so far, 72 hours after installation, my IHD is still only showing Gas readings. I have tried some of the suggestions given in this thread, but to no avail. What is the fix plan today?
  • Last time I heard, it was "email a picture of the IHD to the bulb smart team", and then "wait".
  • same problem. had it installed on Friday Friday 5th so showing waiting for data. Tried all that was suggested at the start of these posts but still no good. I called the customer service at bulb and they said they had had lots of complaints about these not working! They say they will send the Siemens engineer back so we will see!
  • I asked a member of the smart meter proportion has had issues such as these. His answer was around 2%, so in theory, most people are happy customers!
  • According to Which? magazine, across energy suppliers, 6% of customers reported IHD not connecting to smart meter and a further 6% reported IHD stopped working. For another 5% IHDs stopped working when far from smart meter. If the estimate of around 2% of bulb customers having IHD issues is accurate bulb is doing unbelievably well.
  • I had my meter installed on the 15/3/19 and have only had gas reading since then, i did contact bulb but am still waiting for them to fix it. It does make you wonder why they are still installing these smart meters if there is a problem.
  • paulj said:

I asked a member of the smart meter proportion has had issues such as these. His answer was around 2%, so in theory, most people are happy customers!

Really!!? That's the polar opposite of what I've been told by several Bulb staff! This is a big problem, but I guess this miss-information is typical of the response we have all had thus far.
  • Gavlaah said:

paulj said:

I asked a member of the smart meter proportion has had issues such as these. His answer was around 2%, so in theory, most people are happy customers!

Really!!? That's the polar opposite of what I've been told by several Bulb staff! This is a big problem, but I guess this miss-information is typical of the response we have all had thus far.
    Yes, I believe it’s bigger than that too. I think the conflicting statements from different people is a real issue. For example, I’ve now been told my electric smart meter isn’t communicating with the network, but it’s taken about nine calls for this news to emerge. Apparently, I’ll need an engineer to correct it.
  • paulj said:

Yes, I believe it’s bigger than that too. I think the conflicting statements from different people is a real issue. For example, I’ve now been told my electric smart meter isn’t communicating with the network, but it’s taken about nine calls for this news to emerge. Apparently, I’ll need an engineer to correct it.

We must have the similar issue, as I’ve been told the same about it not communicating to the network. My ihd never worked correctly for more than a couple of hours, then we had a power cut and it hasn’t worked at all since then! It would appear these smart meters don’t like power cuts :-(
  • Exactly the same problem as above - I now have a message " Waiting for cost now". It worked yesterday, not today- unit is <1m away from the meter. Ho hum......
  • Another customer with a semi-dumb meter that will only display gas readout. In the hope that it helps others just coming to the forum with the same issue, here is the email I just sent to Bulb.

I see from the forum that we are far from the only people to have this problem. Per Eleanor's forum advice on March 26 and 28 (a few days before we had ours fitted on April 2), here are the facts as requested:
    • photo of IHD attached
    • IHD is showing only gas information. If we press the button to toggle the display, IHD just beeps plaintively and does nothing.
    • IHD has never showed us both gas and electricity readings
    • When the IHD was fitted, the engineer demonstrated how its buttons worked, and at that stage he was able to toggle between gas and electricity, but the IHD was not actually receiving data; it was (as he described it) "sorting itself out". As many others have also experienced, it took nearly 2 days before it stopped "waiting for current data". Once it started displaying data, it was for gas, at which point we moved it to somewhere more convenient. On the two or three occasions we have experimented with it since then, we have never been able to toggle between gas and electricity display; so as far as we can tell, it is "stuck on gas".
    This morning I tried moving the IHD back to its original location, and turning it off and on again. It has not solved the problem; we still can't toggle between gas and electricity readout.

Here is an additional fact not requested, which seems to me to be pretty salient. Our IHD is not connected to house Wifi. I asked the engineer about it at the time he installed it, because of your pre-installation advice that the engineer would set up the Wifi connection with the IHD, and he said it was not necessary.

Looking forward to your help in resolving this issue,

Regards,
  • The main thing I would like to know is whether this fault can be corrected remotely via the WAN or will require an engineer to visit. If the latter I can see it taking a very long time as suppliers are likely to prioritise new meter installations in order to meet the end of 2020 deadline.
  • You would think that Bulb would update us somehow on the current status with this problem. For example have they made successful Robles free installations in the last few days? It has all gone rather quiet,
  • @Silicon_Chipper_2, happy customers with new smart meters are unlikely to come to the forum to tell the world...

In the last week at least I've observed a new install with a display which has shown everything, shown just gas, and shown nothing, shown just gas, and shown everything again. Rebooting and simply leaving the IHD has resolved/created each issue.

The nature of these issues being so intermittent is what concerns me the most.
  • edited April 10
    Hey @Silicon_Chipper_2

We wrote a blog post about Bulb's smart meter installation progress at the end of March.

I'll put up a post with a few more details about what problems some members have with their installations shortly. Watch this space.