£0.00 Gas Standing Charge

Hi, I’m hoping to improve my “green-ness” by reducing my gas use with solar pv panels and an air source heat pump. The plan would be to keep the gas supply and the combi boiler as a backup, but pretty much not use it apart from deepest winter (we already have a wood burner).

Does Bulb already have or would it be possible to arrange, a gas tarrif that has a higher unit cost, but zero daily standing charge?

I would ideally like to keep my gas and electricty supply with Bulb rather than switching the gas to a different supplier.

Does Bulb already have or would it be possible to arrange, a gas tarrif that has a higher unit cost, but zero daily standing charge?
They do not. They previously discussed the price of their standing charge (which has since gone down) as being high to discourage those who are using basically no energy as they're apparently typically the most likely to skip on payments (empty houses etc).

The standing charge is there for maintenance of the gas supply network anyway. If you use the gas a few times a year, the network still needs just as much maintenance to ensure you still have a supply.

As it sounds like you’re doing a considerable amount of work to improve your property anyway, have you considered scrapping gas entirely and just having electric heating as a backup (and electric hot water heating)? That’s the greenest way to go.