100A fuse

I need to get a 100A fuse fitted on my supply as I am getting a heat pump installed. I can’t see anywhere on the website where I can contact someone about this. Surely there is someone in Bulb who I can talk to?

You need to talk to your power distribution network about this, not your energy supplier.

For reference: The Bulb contact information is on the Help page, linked from the Help button at the top. It’s not hidden.

Thanks - but I still can’t find the contact information for Bulb - just endless topics none of which address the question I have. Really irritiating. However I found by looking under ‘Emergency’ - though in fact there is no emergency - a link from the question “How do I find my distribution network operator (DNO)?” which was useful because I then found out it is UK Power Networks. I phoned them and they were helpful but referred me back to Bulb as apparently I first need to get 25mm tails on the meter rather than the standard 18mm tails. Of course searching for ‘tails’ or ‘25mm’ on the Bulb help pages produced nothing. So I am still wanting to talk to someone at Bulb and can’t find a telephone number to do that.
I searched for ‘telephone’ on the Help pages and got the response " How can I get in touch with Bulb? The response came:
“Need to talk? No problem. There are several ways to contact our customer service team. Email Have an issue and haven’t
Bulb”
pretends to be helpful but still no telephone number.
Can someone please help - or do I need to change away from Bulb?

I searched for 'telephone' on the Help pages and got the response " How can I get in touch with Bulb?

It’s on that page, how can you not see it?

There are four headings on that page, Email, Online chat, Ask the Community, Call. Under that last one is the phone number.

Are you on some useless browser that isn’t showing you the whole page, or are you simply not scrolling down?

The phone number is also on the main “Help” page that you get just by clicking “Help”. Admittedly you have to scroll all the way to the bottom.

I looked for the usual contact page in the navigation, and there is none. Nothing under ‘About Bulb’ and the other headings are not relevant. I looked at the bottom of a number of pages and never was there the usual contact us details.
Scrolling down the help page the topics were getting less and less relevant so I did not go further either - the fact that the text and the logos are so large is just irritating, treating one as if you are a child. I resorted to this ‘Community’ as I couldn’t find the contact information.
Having read your response above, I found the three logos for email, telephone (named ‘call’ - american language) and chat. Bulb’s tactic didn’t work to stop me contacting them - it just functioned to totally frustrate me.

Bulb's tactic didn't work to stop me contacting them - it just functioned to totally frustrate me.

I agree Bulb do not make it easy to contact them - by design - which can be very annoying.

But come on, you searched for the word “telephone”, and you found the “How can I get in touch with Bulb?” page. Within that article there are a total of 134 words. The whole page fits on one screen, at least on my standard resolution monitor and tablet. It’s also within about 1.5 screen height of my phone, i.e., I can find the phone number with no more than one full scroll up the screen. It’s more clicks than it needs to be, but it’s not exactly hidden or difficult.

Whilst I agree Bulb could definitely make it easier and require fewer clicks (as you say a standard “Contact Us” page would be good and has been requested many times) you have to admit you’ve made this much harder than it is.

Now, back to your original question. Have you managed to find all the information you need regarding upgrading the tails and replacing the fuse? I’ve just gone through this myself over the last 18 months, although admittedly not via Bulb.

The tails from the main fuse to the meter are Power Networks responsibility,the tails from the meter to the consumer unit are the householders responsibility.

Hi
Hooloovoo - I actually said “I searched for ‘telephone’ on the Help pages and got the response " How can I get in touch with Bulb? The response came:
“Need to talk? No problem. There are several ways to contact our customer service team. Email Have an issue and haven’t
Bulb”” What I didn’t realise was that the heading, which is just bold, is acually a link - not at all clear and poor design.

Yes, I accept that if I had realised the bold heading was a link, and if I had scrolled down to the very bottom of the page, below lots of increasingly irrelevant information for me, I would have found it.

When you say “I agree Bulb do not make it easy to contact them - by design - which can be very annoying.” you hit the nail on the head. These companies have all the words to make it appear as if they are super customer friendly and want to make things easy for you - but in fact it is a LIE because of what you say - they want you to do all the work and minimise the contact we have with them.

Regarding upgrading the tails - I emailed help@bulb.co.uk yesterday, sending a photo of my meter, and await their reply. Bulb are scheduled to come in a month’s time to replace the meter with a smart meter - to me it would make sense if the tails were changed at the same time.

Thanks Johno for the info on the tails - Power Networks didn’t tell me that when I spoke to them! Once Bulb have done their bit I will get back to Power Networks.

Thanks Hooloovoo for your responses - much appreciated. If only Bulb would put explicit information on the main fuses and the tails for people who are moving to heat pump solutions, it would be one less annoying hurdle.

I actually said "I searched for 'telephone' on the Help pages and got the response " How can I get in touch with Bulb? The response came: "Need to talk? No problem. There are several ways to contact our customer service team. Email Have an issue and haven't Bulb"" What I didn't realise was that the heading, which is just bold, is acually a link - not at all clear and poor design.

Ah, I see. My apologies, I didn’t actually understand what that part of your post meant.

I’m still not sure I have much sympathy though. Essentially, you type a keyword into a search box, and it returns a list of results that you’re supposed to click on. Just like how Google works, and how every single search engine on the internet works. The style of hyperlinks varies between all websites. Google search doesn’t make links bold, or underlined, or anything that indicates they are a link. Looking at the Bulb search results, it’s very clear to me that the result returned for “telephone” is an article that I’m supposed to click on, where the author is Bulb, the date the article was published is August 23, 2017 08:59, and it has zero comments. It currently has 8014 “thumbs up”. It’s also common for websites to list snippets of articles within the search results, which is where you get sentences that end abruptly and don’t make sense, just like the one you quoted. All of this is common design styling and makes it super obvious, to me at least, that I’m supposed to click on the result to read the article.

Please don’t think I’m defending Bulb, I’m no fan of their attempts at communication or their obfuscation of a basic “contact us” button in an attempt to limit the amount of phone calls they get. But you have made this way harder than it really is.

Bulb are scheduled to come in a month's time to replace the meter with a smart meter - to me it would make sense if the tails were changed at the same time.

This is exactly what I did with Scottish Power, and I thoroughly recommend this approach. When Scottish Power installed my smart meter, they uprated the tails and even installed a double pole isolator. I had to specifically ask about the isolator, it turns out the contractor they used only install isolators if the customer specifically ask. If you haven’t got one already, now would be a good time to do it. I got all that work done for free that would otherwise have been done at a cost.

As it happens, I also looked at the main fuse while it was removed and to my surprise it was already 100A so I didn’t then have to bother getting the DNO to come out and replace it. Happy days!

You may well find that your gas/water bonding will also need to be uprated, and as Johno said the tails from the isolator to your consumer unit are your responsibility to uprate. Your electrician will take care of that when connecting up the heat pump. I had to get all this done for an EV charger, so with that and along with gradual conversion of properties from gas heating to electric heat pumps, you’re certainly right that this will have to be done for lots of properties. When I next move house, once of my concerns will be looking at the ability and cost of getting an uprated three-phase installation.

I need to get a 100A fuse fitted on my supply as I am getting a heat pump installed. I can't see anywhere on the website where I can contact someone about this. Surely there is someone in Bulb who I can talk to?

Power Networks do a large area of the UK and their website is a good place to start.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/electricity/fuse-upgrade

Thanks Hooloovoo for comments - received! When one is in a hurry one can miss things that in retrospect one could have thought of. The point about isolator is helpful.

IM35461 - thanks for the link - I have just filled in a request - great help.

Bulb say they will get back to me about my email in 10 days, UK Powernetworks within 24-48 hrs.
We’ll see!